You guys are some of the most stubborn, unyielding, and bitter people I've ever met.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-12-2016, 02:40 AM
You guys are some of the most stubborn, unyielding, and bitter people I've ever met.
(04-12-2016 01:16 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  [...] No crime that is not heinous deserves more than a year in prison. What point is there otherwise? Isn't prison supposed to be about rehabilitation and not punishment? [...]

No, prison is primarily all about punishment, and always has been, and always (hopefully) will be. The notion of "rehabilitation" is a nonsense predicated by the feel-good, bleeding-heart luvvies, and in the real world is a load of crap.

In Australia, the recidivism rate is around 60%, I.E. 6 our of every 10 previously convicted criminals are returned to jail soon after their release [Australian Institute of Criminology]. And according to the Australian government [ABS, 2010] "imprisonment aims to prevent crime and enhance community safety by removing offenders from the public arena and acting as a deterrent to potential offenders, as well as meeting society's need for reparation or retribution for crimes committed".

According to the Cambridge Dictionary, heinous means "morally wrong and evil". Would you be confident of determining what exactly constitutes a heinous crime? We'd all agree that murder, rape, and paedophilia are worthy of that description, but what about a thug who puts an old lady in hospital for the $20 in her purse, or the sadist who wounds protected wildlife with a crossbow, or an accountant who defrauds a charity of $100,000 or an arsonist who burns down a school. Are you going to let them back into society after less than 12 months' imprisonment? Seriously?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-12-2016, 02:57 AM
RE: You guys are some of the most stubborn, unyielding, and bitter people I've ever met.
Show me a person who feels that prison is about rehabilitation, and I'll show you a person who hasn't yet been raped by a sex offending parolee............

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
05-12-2016, 03:21 AM
RE: You guys are some of the most stubborn, unyielding, and bitter people I've ever met.
(05-12-2016 02:40 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(04-12-2016 01:16 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  [...] No crime that is not heinous deserves more than a year in prison. What point is there otherwise? Isn't prison supposed to be about rehabilitation and not punishment? [...]

No, prison is primarily all about punishment, and always has been, and always (hopefully) will be. The notion of "rehabilitation" is a nonsense predicated by the feel-good, bleeding-heart luvvies, and in the real world is a load of crap.

In Australia, the recidivism rate is around 60%, I.E. 6 our of every 10 previously convicted criminals are returned to jail soon after their release [Australian Institute of Criminology]. And according to the Australian government [ABS, 2010] "imprisonment aims to prevent crime and enhance community safety by removing offenders from the public arena and acting as a deterrent to potential offenders, as well as meeting society's need for reparation or retribution for crimes committed".

According to the Cambridge Dictionary, heinous means "morally wrong and evil". Would you be confident of determining what exactly constitutes a heinous crime? We'd all agree that murder, rape, and paedophilia are worthy of that description, but what about a thug who puts an old lady in hospital for the $20 in her purse, or the sadist who wounds protected wildlife with a crossbow, or an accountant who defrauds a charity of $100,000 or an arsonist who burns down a school. Are you going to let them back into society after less than 12 months' imprisonment? Seriously?

Um. In Norway IIRC the recidivism rate is much lower. There are statistics showing the effect of different approaches on lowering crime-rates in society and I do think that prison is something which needs careful thought - it's not always possible to lock people up and throw away the key, nor is it desirable.

But that doesn't change the fact that CW's horseshit is laughably naive.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post