You guys are some of the most stubborn, unyielding, and bitter people I've ever met.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-12-2016, 05:58 AM
RE: You guys are some of the most stubborn, unyielding, and bitter people I've ever met.
(01-12-2016 05:54 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  [Image: a0852ae8a4bb17f32c9d7659b1f40ec0.png]

*You're*
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like PaddyOdoors's post
01-12-2016, 08:56 AM
RE: You guys are some of the most stubborn, unyielding, and bitter people I've ever met.
(30-11-2016 01:03 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  See what you did right there? I mean maybe you're being sarcastic or you think a hippie attitude of "Love everyone! No matter what!" is a great way to live but seriously you have just watered down love, possibly the most powerful and important emotion anyone can ever feel, to such a degree that you are spreading it nice and thin across the entire human race of 7 billion people.

Yes I get it, I'm a humanist so I do have an interest in protecting the lives and overall well being of the entire human race but I'm not silly enough to believe that every human deserves my love, which is something that is earned, just being alive and existing shouldn't be enough unless it's a family member.

Just think about it, if you love a serial killer or a pedophile or a crooked politician the same as you love me than your love is meaningless and not something I would place any value in.

I don't want anything bad to happen to you either, that's a huge leap from actually loving someone. I think you need to pick better wording because a feeling of concern and empathy for other people is not the same as love.

Love

unselfish loyal and benevolent concern for the good of another

warm attachment, enthusiasm, or devotion

Empathy, Compassion, and Love all have the same basic meaning. Would I say I love all sexually and intimately? Not at all, but that is not to say I do not love them, for love has many different meanings. If there is one thing you should know about me by now Sita, its that I am not limited to just one meaning of any one word. Wink

(01-12-2016 03:45 AM)adey67 Wrote:  This is a really good point, I cant help but like CW he's eccentric ( takes one to know one) but I don't universally love people it feels kind of contrived or religious to do that. I try to like people or at least remember they are people with feelings, although I am far from perfect.

Aren't you Jewish? How odd that you would consider that religious but an Atheist does not Tongue

I believe I get this from my grandfather, who always said to me, 'we're family' I just happened to apply that meaning to a slightly larger scale than he probably did because I applied the meaning of family to all of humanity. Or at least I am trying to, its difficult at times.

But Adey none of us are perfect, not even me, we're only perfect in our imperfection so we must love each other, and accept everyone despite their imperfections.

(in reply to Sita) when a person of my family commits a heinous crime, I disown them.
01-12-2016, 09:19 AM
I take your point I just think we have different ways of expressing things I love my family I like my friends and try to ascribe/give value compassion and appreciation to everyone else, although I frequently fail in my endeavours to do so.
01-12-2016, 09:38 AM
(01-12-2016 08:56 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  
(30-11-2016 01:03 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  See what you did right there? I mean maybe you're being sarcastic or you think a hippie attitude of "Love everyone! No matter what!" is a great way to live but seriously you have just watered down love, possibly the most powerful and important emotion anyone can ever feel, to such a degree that you are spreading it nice and thin across the entire human race of 7 billion people.

Yes I get it, I'm a humanist so I do have an interest in protecting the lives and overall well being of the entire human race but I'm not silly enough to believe that every human deserves my love, which is something that is earned, just being alive and existing shouldn't be enough unless it's a family member.

Just think about it, if you love a serial killer or a pedophile or a crooked politician the same as you love me than your love is meaningless and not something I would place any value in.

I don't want anything bad to happen to you either, that's a huge leap from actually loving someone. I think you need to pick better wording because a feeling of concern and empathy for other people is not the same as love.

Love

Empathy, Compassion, and Love all have the same basic meaning. Would I say I love all sexually and intimately? Not at all, but that is not to say I do not love them, for love has many different meanings. If there is one thing you should know about me by now Sita, its that I am not limited to just one meaning of any one word. Wink

(01-12-2016 03:45 AM)adey67 Wrote:  This is a really good point, I cant help but like CW he's eccentric ( takes one to know one) but I don't universally love people it feels kind of contrived or religious to do that. I try to like people or at least remember they are people with feelings, although I am far from perfect.

Aren't you Jewish? How odd that you would consider that religious but an Atheist does not Tongue

I believe I get this from my grandfather, who always said to me, 'we're family' I just happened to apply that meaning to a slightly larger scale than he probably did because I applied the meaning of family to all of humanity. Or at least I am trying to, its difficult at times.

But Adey none of us are perfect, not even me, we're only perfect in our imperfection so we must love each other, and accept everyone despite their imperfections.

(in reply to Sita) when a person of my family commits a heinous crime, I disown them.

The thing is, when you tell someone over the internet, someone whom you have never met and really don't know very well, that you love them it cheapens what love is. It's kinda like being "friends" on facebook. It's almost meaningless.

I get that you love mankind and all that but the that's not a personal love. You're writing about a sort of a generic love for the human race and the planet. Generic love for humanity is fine but it's not a personal, intimate love.

I don't know you. I wouldn't know you if I walked past you on the street. When you tell TTA members you love them and mean this as a personal love then it lowers the bar down to almost nothing as to what love should be.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
01-12-2016, 10:00 AM
(29-11-2016 09:54 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  
(29-11-2016 09:42 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  CW, you forgot "apathetic." Smile

Only if you want to be~! Wink

It doesn't really matter, does it?
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
01-12-2016, 10:56 AM
No one called him on the bullshit pity-line that the reason we were harsh with him was because we thought he was a Christian? Okay fine, I will.

No, we were mean to you because you spouted the same bullshit that Christians typically do.

I don't give a fuck if you're a Christian or not. Almost no one here does. Many of us are best friends with, married to, or in some other way close to Christians.

So let me repeat, slowly and carefully, so you get it:

IT'S THE PATRONIZING BULLSHIT THAT WAS FLOWING THROUGH YOUR KEYBOARD AND ONTO THIS FORUM that made us react to you like we did.

Yes, that includes this passive-aggressive "but I love everyone, and you were all so mean to me when I was just trying to be nice!" patronizing bullshit.

Take your guilt trip, pack it up in some nice hard-case luggage, and kindly shove it up your ass.

All that said, I rather like you and your crazy conspiracy theory nonsense... whether or not you're a Christian... at every moment you're not trying to patronize, misrepresent, or judge us. So alter your behavior and I think you'll find a much warmer reception from all of us.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 5 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
01-12-2016, 11:56 AM
(01-12-2016 08:56 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  Love

exciting and new Drinking Beverage

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
01-12-2016, 12:24 PM
(01-12-2016 08:56 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  But Adey none of us are perfect,

Agreed.

Quote: not even me,

Not even you? That's what I call humility.

Quote: we're only perfect in our imperfection

Meaningless babble.

Quote: so we must love each other, and accept everyone despite their imperfections.

We must? Or what? I certainly neither love nor accept many people you included.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
01-12-2016, 12:36 PM
(01-12-2016 12:24 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
Quote: so we must love each other, and accept everyone despite their imperfections.

We must? Or what? I certainly neither love nor accept many people you included.

CW: "Come on everybody! Kumbay-erk!"

SZ: "That's enough of that. Anyone got a shovel?"

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 5 users Like morondog's post
01-12-2016, 01:33 PM
You guys are some of the most stubborn, unyielding, and bitter people I've ever met.
(01-12-2016 08:56 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  Love

Can you really say you feel "warm attachment" to every person alive? Devotion even? Do you feel completely unselfish loyalty to every person?

That would make no sense to feel loyal to every person, who would you stand with in a fight? If you could stand with Carl Sagan or Richard Dawkins, would you stand in the middle? Since you are loyal to both of them? Clearly one of them has earned your loyalty and the other hasn't, you don't love both. You may respect Dawkins as a human but you don't "love" him.

Love, empathy and compassion do not have the same "basic" meanings, they are different words with different meanings, do not conflate love with empathy, those are two very different things and you know it.

I may feel empathy for a child rapist because they were raped as a child and were so traumatized that they felt this is normal and went on to commit the same crime but I certainly don't love them, they are unworthy of love.

Let me explain it simply, if you say "I love all cookies, I don't have a favorite, they're all great in their own way!" Now your cookie opinions are worthless. I would never go to you and ask "Hey, have you tried these cookies? Do you like them?" because you like all of them.

Your standards are so broad that you would love them just because they are cookies, they could have shards of glass and poison in them and that would be fine by you, you would gladly eat them, blood dripping out of your mouth with a smile on your face and proclaim "I love these cookies!"

I would side step the glass cookies and reach for the peanut butter cookies, since I love them and they are my faves and I would live to see another day.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]