You have 10 seconds to name ONE contribution to the world made by a woman

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-07-2014, 09:46 PM
RE: You have 10 seconds to name ONE contribution to the world made by a woman
(05-07-2014 09:40 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Why the fuck was shit bumped?

Beats me. I wanted to ask that myself, but last time I did I remember receiving a.. less than positive response.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
05-07-2014, 09:48 PM
(05-07-2014 09:46 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(05-07-2014 09:40 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Why the fuck was shit bumped?

Beats me. I wanted to ask that myself, but last time I did I remember receiving a.. less than positive response.

Anything that promotes gender division or unity is a hot topic in today's society.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
05-07-2014, 09:49 PM
(05-07-2014 09:48 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(05-07-2014 09:46 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Beats me. I wanted to ask that myself, but last time I did I remember receiving a.. less than positive response.

Anything that promotes gender division or unity is a hot topic in today's society.

So is Justin Bieber's hair, what's your point?
05-07-2014, 09:50 PM
[Image: displayimage.php?imageid=14925]

[Image: 1469061d1398362661-seeking-replacement-s...onal-p.jpg]

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
05-07-2014, 10:12 PM
Mary Anning!

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
05-07-2014, 10:13 PM
Uh, late to the party, I guess.

Computers. Before electronic computers were available, the task of performing mathematical calculations was done by humans. In the late 19th century, the job of astronomical calculations fell mostly to women. Women, again, were computers for the Manhattan project running the calculations for the a-bomb during WWII.

Cosmos mentioned several women members of the Harvard Computers:

Annie Jump Cannon - developed the stellar classification system

Henrietta Swan Leavitt - discovered the means to measure the distance from a star to the earth by its spectra, later used to identify other galaxies in the universe.

Cecilia Payne - using Cannon's stellar classification system, developed a system of determining the composition and temperature of the stars.

And while we're on the topic of computers, Charles Babbage invented the first mechanical computer. Ada Lovelace, through correspondence, developed algorithms for his Analytical Engine. Ada Lovelace was the first computer programmer.
[+] 1 user Likes bobsyeruncle's post
05-07-2014, 11:08 PM
(05-07-2014 09:48 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(05-07-2014 09:46 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Beats me. I wanted to ask that myself, but last time I did I remember receiving a.. less than positive response.

That's not what I was referring to.

Last time I asked why a long-dead thread got resurrected, I remember receiving quite the curt reply to my queries, though from whom, when and where it originated are not in my memory.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
05-07-2014, 11:23 PM
I don't see what necro threads hurt. Either they come back to life for a moment and then die again, or relive a week or two and die again.

I've never seen this thread before today, but I'm glad I did. Fun reading material.

A wise person makes their own decisions; an ignorant one follows public opinion.
05-07-2014, 11:41 PM
When an old thread is brought back to life it's often by someone new or relatively new who is scrolling around the forum and finds something that interests them. So then the bitching about necro threads starts.

We also have the newer members that start a thread and then get pounced on because someone did a thread about the same topic and one of the older members bitches a bit and provides a link - to a previously dead thread.

SMH

Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

If you find something interesting, go for it. Someone's gonna bitch regardless.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
06-07-2014, 01:41 AM
(05-07-2014 10:13 PM)bobsyeruncle Wrote:  Computers. Before electronic computers were available, the task of performing mathematical calculations was done by humans. In the late 19th century, the job of astronomical calculations fell mostly to women. Women, again, were computers for the Manhattan project running the calculations for the a-bomb during WWII.

Cosmos mentioned several women members of the Harvard Computers:

Annie Jump Cannon - developed the stellar classification system

Henrietta Swan Leavitt - discovered the means to measure the distance from a star to the earth by its spectra, later used to identify other galaxies in the universe.

Cecilia Payne - using Cannon's stellar classification system, developed a system of determining the composition and temperature of the stars.

And while we're on the topic of computers, Charles Babbage invented the first mechanical computer. Ada Lovelace, through correspondence, developed algorithms for his Analytical Engine. Ada Lovelace was the first computer programmer.

I was going to mention Ada Lovelace, but also Grace Hopper who wrote the first compiler.

For astrophysics, you also have Jocelyn Bell Burnell who observed the first pulsar during her PhD and this meant that her supervisor won the Nobel Prize for the discovery instead.

Then there's the only person to have won a Nobel Prize in both Physics and Chemistry, Marie Curie.