You have 10 seconds to name ONE contribution to the world made by a woman

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-07-2014, 03:29 PM
RE: You have 10 seconds to name ONE contribution to the world made by a woman
(29-07-2014 03:12 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(29-07-2014 03:05 PM)morondog Wrote:  Ha, thanks. Just hadda go look it up now. She's not the ultimate Mama, she just the most recent common female ancestor of all humans, if I'm reading it right.

Indeed. Every population will have a most recent common ancestor. That's inevitable statistics. This does not mean they have a single ultimate common ancestor.

I remember PleaseJesus once being confused staggeringly dishonest about just that point.

To be fair to PJ, the only thing he ever did was be either staggeringly dishonest or staggeringly stupid, so it's hardly an isolated case.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
29-07-2014, 03:34 PM
(29-07-2014 03:29 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(29-07-2014 03:12 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Indeed. Every population will have a most recent common ancestor. That's inevitable statistics. This does not mean they have a single ultimate common ancestor.

I remember PleaseJesus once being confused staggeringly dishonest about just that point.

To be fair to PJ, the only thing he ever did was be either staggeringly dishonest or staggeringly stupid, so it's hardly an isolated case.

Well, there is that.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
29-07-2014, 07:43 PM
(29-07-2014 03:12 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(29-07-2014 03:05 PM)morondog Wrote:  Ha, thanks. Just hadda go look it up now. She's not the ultimate Mama, she just the most recent common female ancestor of all humans, if I'm reading it right.

Indeed. Every population will have a most recent common ancestor. That's inevitable statistics. This does not mean they have a single ultimate common ancestor.

'Every population' includes the entire population. We all have one common female ancestor, Mitochondrial Eve.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-07-2014, 10:52 PM (This post was last modified: 29-07-2014 10:55 PM by cjlr.)
(29-07-2014 07:43 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(29-07-2014 03:12 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Indeed. Every population will have a most recent common ancestor. That's inevitable statistics. This does not mean they have a single ultimate common ancestor.

'Every population' includes the entire population. We all have one common female ancestor, Mitochondrial Eve.

Yes. That's what I said.

We all have innumerably many common ancestors, of whom there is necessarily one who is most recent.

The analysis behind the identical ancestry point is more interesting, I think, but less well known. Common ancestry does not imply a population bottleneck, is the point I was getting at.

... this is my signature!
30-07-2014, 04:45 AM
(29-07-2014 10:52 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(29-07-2014 07:43 PM)Chas Wrote:  'Every population' includes the entire population. We all have one common female ancestor, Mitochondrial Eve.

Yes. That's what I said.

We all have innumerably many common ancestors, of whom there is necessarily one who is most recent.

The analysis behind the identical ancestry point is more interesting, I think, but less well known. Common ancestry does not imply a population bottleneck, is the point I was getting at.

OK, it didn't read that way for me. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-07-2014, 05:06 AM
(29-07-2014 03:05 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(29-07-2014 02:57 PM)kim Wrote:  Mitochondiral Eve:

She's not the ultimate Mama,

That would be an exploding star ... if we're to believe the astro-phys-mystics.

Dodgy

30-07-2014, 05:17 AM
(30-07-2014 05:06 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(29-07-2014 03:05 PM)morondog Wrote:  She's not the ultimate Mama,

That would be an exploding star ... if we're to believe the astro-phys-mystics.

Dodgy

Yo Mama, maybe. Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
30-07-2014, 06:40 AM
Re: You have 10 seconds to name ONE contribution to the world made by a woman
I didn't come from no star!!

I find it curious that these "threat" threads by drive by posters are getting resurrected lately.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
30-07-2014, 12:57 PM
(30-07-2014 06:40 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I didn't come from no star!!

I find it curious that these "threat" threads by drive by posters are getting resurrected lately.

Google bait.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
10-08-2014, 08:28 AM
Babies