"You have a gift"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-03-2016, 07:05 AM
"You have a gift"
Okay I need to rant about something that has been bothering me lately.

I cannot stand the saying "You have a gift". I fucking hate it.

I'm a photographer and when I work my ass off to get the perfect shot and hear people say, "you have a gift". really pisses me off. So all my skills, hard work and passion in this art comes from your imaginary friend? Fuck you.

It's the same thing when watching competition shows with judges. "You a have gift from GODDDDD!" What about all their hard work and training it took? That gets zero credibility, but your imaginary friend takes all the credit? It just makes no sense to me.

Maybe I'm just being an asshole. But I don't care. I feel better now.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like nerwin's post
05-03-2016, 08:02 AM
RE: "You have a gift"
Yeah, that one really pisses me off too. Just like when someone goes to the hospital and has life saving surgery and care from trained hardworking educated people and some idiot says, "praise the lord, god spared them". Arrggghhh!

Some people do have natural aptitudes for things, art, math and such but no one became exceptional without work, commitment and knowledge. Gawd had nothing to do with

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
05-03-2016, 08:09 AM
Well said. You have a real gift.
Big Grin

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 12 users Like unfogged's post
05-03-2016, 09:45 AM
Is that what they mean why they say that? I thought I meant you have a natural skill. I've meet people that can for an example pike up a camera and get that perfect shot without training. And other's have to work hard to develop that skill.

My pev is when people say "Thank God!"

I was watching this Horder show the other day a huge team of people came in cleaned out this womans home and realizing how much disreapar it was in from god money together to fix it up and give her a small addition.

"THANK YOU GOD! THANK YOU! PRAISE JESUS."

This people worked hard for a week to get here to the place she was. Therapy, cleaning crews, carpenters. She didn't thank one of them she waved her hands in the air and fell to her knees. YOU JUST SPENT 30 years of you life after your husband died under a pile of garbage! Your family disowned you,it got so bad. Things like that PISS me off.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
05-03-2016, 09:56 AM
(05-03-2016 07:05 AM)nerwin Wrote:  Okay I need to rant about something that has been bothering me lately.

I cannot stand the saying "You have a gift". I fucking hate it.

I'm a photographer and when I work my ass off to get the perfect shot and hear people say, "you have a gift". really pisses me off. So all my skills, hard work and passion in this art comes from your imaginary friend? Fuck you.

It's the same thing when watching competition shows with judges. "You a have gift from GODDDDD!" What about all their hard work and training it took? That gets zero credibility, but your imaginary friend takes all the credit? It just makes no sense to me.

Maybe I'm just being an asshole. But I don't care. I feel better now.

Along the same lines I tried to compliment a lady who sang very well, by saying "I wish I could sing like that." She turned it around on me and said "Someone must have told you couldn't sing. Everyone can sing, don't let people bring you down so!" To which I replied "I can build a house, can you build a house? Who told you you cannot build a house?"
05-03-2016, 10:26 AM
I agree with the term "gift" being a bit offensive.

When you spend the time and effort to develop a talent --- it's insulting to the talented to insinuate they got it with no effort.............

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
05-03-2016, 10:28 AM
BTW -- do you do digital - or have you ever done film???

I used to do b+w film.... Was into it enough where I was buying bulk film and loading carts myself.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
06-03-2016, 07:16 AM
(05-03-2016 10:28 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  BTW -- do you do digital - or have you ever done film???

I used to do b+w film.... Was into it enough where I was buying bulk film and loading carts myself.....

I only shoot digital. I just find film too costly nowadays. But if I had the money and had the space, I'd set up my own dark room then it would be fun to shoot film.

I mean, I suppose I could get a changing bag but it just seems like a pain in the ass, lol.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.
06-03-2016, 07:36 AM
A talent can be wasted through lack of practice.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
06-03-2016, 07:38 AM
(06-03-2016 07:16 AM)nerwin Wrote:  
(05-03-2016 10:28 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  BTW -- do you do digital - or have you ever done film???

I only shoot digital. I just find film too costly nowadays. But if I had the money and had the space, I'd set up my own dark room then it would be fun to shoot film.

I mean, I suppose I could get a changing bag but it just seems like a pain in the ass, lol.

Pretty tough to learn that way.......

And the bag is only good for doing film.... When you get to doing prints, you have to have the darkroom. It used to be a fun hobby -- but I suspect it'd be an exercise in futility these days... The chemicals/paper are going to be more expensive (less supply) -- and you won't be able to get the really good film... Most places you're lucky if they have more than 200 ASA film. I used to even play with infra red film.... Doubt you can even get that locally anymore........