"You have a gift"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-03-2016, 08:06 AM
RE: "You have a gift"
(06-03-2016 07:38 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(06-03-2016 07:16 AM)nerwin Wrote:  I only shoot digital. I just find film too costly nowadays. But if I had the money and had the space, I'd set up my own dark room then it would be fun to shoot film.

I mean, I suppose I could get a changing bag but it just seems like a pain in the ass, lol.

Pretty tough to learn that way.......

And the bag is only good for doing film.... When you get to doing prints, you have to have the darkroom. It used to be a fun hobby -- but I suspect it'd be an exercise in futility these days... The chemicals/paper are going to be more expensive (less supply) -- and you won't be able to get the really good film... Most places you're lucky if they have more than 200 ASA film. I used to even play with infra red film.... Doubt you can even get that locally anymore........

I mean film is making a comeback - sort of - Ilford film is about the only company I know who still makes a wide variety of film from 35mm and 120 roll film.

I wouldn't make prints though, I'd just develop the and buy a decent scanner and then I could print them out if I wanted to.

That's another thing that is expensive...a good photo printer and ink are not cheap. I don't even print out stuff I've taken with my DSLR...I just have them printed from a print shop in NYC and then shipped to me.

I think learning to develop film is a great experience. When I was in school, we had a dark room but it was a storage room them as the school couldn't afford the materials anymore. Its a shame because when I signed up this vocational class during high school, I was excited to use the darkroom. Instead the school got so cheap and made us use shitty bridge cameras. The only thing I learned during the class was the fundamentals of photography and that was it. Other than that, I learned this art all by myself.

Though, I've been debating about buying a Fuji Instax camera to just have some fun with.

But other than that, I'm just going to stick with digital for my serious stuff.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-03-2016, 09:19 AM
I think many people say "You've got a gift" to not only pay you what they think is a compliment, but also to justify their own lack of talent (when everyone with a talent they've nurtured knows the many thousands of hours which go into the talent).
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
06-03-2016, 09:36 AM
I have told people that they have a gift but certainly didn't mean it in a way that would indicate they don't have to work at their talent.

I like to take photos (and should dig out dad's cameras and do more) but I never seem to manage to get 'the shot'. I don't seem to have the eye for the really interesting image or to frame a shot that is unique. Probably if I put more effort into it I would get more interesting shots. I enjoy looking at the photography of others.

The words (from me at least) are meant as a compliment...perhaps it is a comment on a skill that someone has worked hard to make look easy. My thoughts turn to anyone with artistic skills such as drawing or painting or musical ability. I just don't think everyone can be a star in such endeavors. Maybe it's a talent, maybe it's drive and determination, maybe passion...either way, I really do mean it in a positive way, not that's it's something granted by some giver of gifts. Undecided

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
06-03-2016, 09:40 AM
(05-03-2016 07:05 AM)nerwin Wrote:  Okay I need to rant about something that has been bothering me lately.

I cannot stand the saying "You have a gift". I fucking hate it.

I'm a photographer and when I work my ass off to get the perfect shot and hear people say, "you have a gift". really pisses me off. So all my skills, hard work and passion in this art comes from your imaginary friend? Fuck you.

I’m a photographer too, and being told “you have a gift” pales in comparison to when someone sees one of my images and the first words out of their mouths are “you must have an expensive camera”.

I think “you have a gift” is a good compliment. Better than “what a lucky shot” or “I took one similar to yours” or “that’s nice”...just saying.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
06-03-2016, 09:56 AM
(06-03-2016 09:40 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(05-03-2016 07:05 AM)nerwin Wrote:  Okay I need to rant about something that has been bothering me lately.

I'm a photographer and when I work my ass off to get the perfect shot and hear people say, "you have a gift". really pisses me off. So all my skills, hard work and passion in this art comes from your imaginary friend? Fuck you.

I’m a photographer too, and being told “you have a gift” pales in comparison to when someone sees one of my images and the first words out of their mouths are “you must have an expensive camera”.

I think “you have a gift” is a good compliment. Better than “what a lucky shot” or “I took one similar to yours” or “that’s nice”...just saying.

I usually get "You have a big camera, it must take good pictures" Haha.

I'm sure when some say "You have a gift" doesn't necessarily mean it's a religious statement, but often, the word god slips in there. But in their defense, they don't know I'm an atheist either but what pisses me off is that they just assume everyone believes in their crap.

Like I got an aunt that turned religious when I was on stupid Facebook, she often said shit like that. "God must love you" - I mean what the actual fuck? Lol.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.
[+] 1 user Likes nerwin's post
06-03-2016, 01:09 PM
(06-03-2016 09:36 AM)Anjele Wrote:  I have told people that they have a gift but certainly didn't mean it in a way that would indicate they don't have to work at their talent.

I like to take photos (and should dig out dad's cameras and do more) but I never seem to manage to get 'the shot'. I don't seem to have the eye for the really interesting image or to frame a shot that is unique. Probably if I put more effort into it I would get more interesting shots. I enjoy looking at the photography of others.

The words (from me at least) are meant as a compliment...perhaps it is a comment on a skill that someone has worked hard to make look easy. My thoughts turn to anyone with artistic skills such as drawing or painting or musical ability. I just don't think everyone can be a star in such endeavors. Maybe it's a talent, maybe it's drive and determination, maybe passion...either way, I really do mean it in a positive way, not that's it's something granted by some giver of gifts. Undecided

A fair point. I sure didn't mean to imply that self-rationalization is the only reason that sort of compliment is offered. But I can guarantee you that you and I were born with the same talent for guitarin' -- exactly zero. Our difference is the interest that led me to devote thousands of hours to practicing my craft. No doubt you have talents which would blow me away, due to the same interest leading to diligence.
06-03-2016, 01:48 PM
A gift is given, hence the terminology. When you arrive at a birthday party and there are gifts on the table, are you EVER confused by their origin? You know those wrapped boxes and bags were given to the birthday boy or girl by SOMEONE. When someone says, "You have a gift," they are implying someone or something gave you that talent, that you were given that ability. It's a huge slap in the face. If you are talented then you should be recognized as such. If you still say it after reading this, then you either have a poor vocabulary or you are so indoctrinated that there is no saving you. The only other way that saying could be interpreted, IMO, is that the talents of the parents were passed on to you, but that is either still a slap or jus plain wrong. There are things I can do that my parents could never accomplish or even think of, so while I have their DNA, my successes and talents are mine.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
06-03-2016, 04:34 PM

It's the same thing when watching competition shows with judges. "You a have gift from GODDDDD!" What about all their hard work and training it took? That gets zero credibility, but your imaginary friend takes all the credit? It just makes no sense to me.

Maybe I'm just being an asshole. But I don't care. I feel better now.

Your gift is your ability to put in the hard work and training. God didn't have dick to do with that.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
06-03-2016, 05:42 PM
I have a friend who feels the same way, but he hates the term "talent" because of that.

I don't quite get it or view the term when people say talent or gift as merely something "godly" given and not like it's just a catchall for hardwork and understanding on how to dedicate yourself to the craft.

These terms can get drummed up and certainly there are a few out there that do honestly think you have a "godly" given gift.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
06-03-2016, 06:40 PM
Having taught now for 33 years I can attest to the existence of talent. Talent must be worked on. It can be wasted. Or it can be built upon. The lack of a particular talent also exists.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.