You have the right to remain silent...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-05-2016, 08:16 PM
RE: You have the right to remain silent...
(07-05-2016 07:27 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(07-05-2016 06:51 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Is having a broken headlight even illegal?
I can understand not using headlights at certain times of the day being illegal, but just the fact it doesn't work, is that even illegal?

I see plenty of cars with only one at night. It's Illegal to drive a car without headlights at night. But I don't know if that just applies to one or both.

I think since he couldn't give me a ticket for not wearing a seatbelt, he was going to make sure I drove away for a ticket for anything he thought was wrong. He volunteered the information about the seatbelt.

He even argued that my car might not be "street safe" at all -- which according to the California Department of Motor Vehicles it was.

In looking back, I think the lawyer I worked with was right, had my husband been driving it, he would never been pulled over for trivial crap like me.

Not wearing a seatbelt isn't that trivial. If you crash it can be the difference between you surviving and dying. If it was one of those across the lap belts I'd say it was just a simple mistake of him legit thinking you weren't wearing a seatbelt.

In saying that, maybe if your husband was driving he wouldn't have gotten the ticket for the headlight. Who knows.

[Image: oscar.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-05-2016, 08:26 PM
(07-05-2016 06:51 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Is having a broken headlight even illegal?
I can understand not using headlights at certain times of the day being illegal, but just the fact it doesn't work, is that even illegal?

I see plenty of cars with only one at night. It's Illegal to drive a car without headlights at night. But I don't know if that just applies to one or both.

I think since he couldn't give me a ticket for not wearing a seatbelt, he was going to make sure I drove away for a ticket for anything he thought was wrong. He volunteered the information about the seatbelt.

He even argued that my car might not be "street safe" at all -- which according to the California Department of Motor Vehicles it was.

In looking back, I think the lawyer I worked with was right, had my husband been driving it, he would never been pulled over for trivial crap like me.

This is called something like a "Safe Ticket". As officers age, they stop pulling over the young rowdies that may want to get in a fight with them. That, and watching a whole line of speeding cars, and stopping the cute gal in the convertible/Firebird/whatever. I've seen it here where I live. Young mothers in a minivan getting pulled over for turning left at the (posted) wrong time of day while taking their kids home from school. Heinous crime, that!
07-05-2016, 08:55 PM
(07-05-2016 08:16 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(07-05-2016 07:27 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I see plenty of cars with only one at night. It's Illegal to drive a car without headlights at night. But I don't know if that just applies to one or both.

Not wearing a seatbelt isn't that trivial. If you crash it can be the difference between you surviving and dying. If it was one of those across the lap belts I'd say it was just a simple mistake of him legit thinking you weren't wearing a seatbelt.

In saying that, maybe if your husband was driving he wouldn't have gotten the ticket for the headlight. Who knows.

No, I didn't mean that. I meant the police guy should have let me go once he realized I was complying with the seatbelt law. I wasn't speeding or driving recklessly.

It's unlikely that, while my husband might have been pulled over for the seatbelt -- anything else would have happened. He wouldn't have to tap the break lights, demonstrate with windshield wipers or turn on the headlights. They probably would have laughed about it and that would have ended it.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

07-05-2016, 10:35 PM
Texas has a required safety inspection for vehicles which you cannot pass without both headlights working. I've never heard of an officer doing a safety check in the field, though.

As of 2012, when I left California, they didn't have a safety inspection, only a smog check.

So far as I know, both states require both headlights operational for the vehicle to be on a public roadway, regardless the time of day.
07-05-2016, 11:33 PM

Yes, it is illegal to only have one headlight though you will usually just get a fix it ticket. Mostly because it would cut your vision in half at night. Similar to driving with one eye open.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
07-05-2016, 11:57 PM
(07-05-2016 11:33 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(07-05-2016 07:27 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I see plenty of cars with only one at night. It's Illegal to drive a car without headlights at night. But I don't know if that just applies to one or both.

Yes, it is illegal to only have one headlight though you will usually just get a fix it ticket. Mostly because it would cut your vision in half at night. Similar to driving with one eye open.

That I get. Except this wasn't at night. It was mid-morning on a bright sunny day. I was on my way to work.

The comment that my car might not be street legal really irked me -- I think he had a problem with the car or maybe with the driver.

The car I drove before that closer to not being street legal, but I was never pulled over driving that. (67 Camero).

I've had mostly positive experiences with police. One did admonish me, when all the tires in our neighborhood were slashed, for leaving my car window open and the garage opener right there on center thing. My man didn't argue with that.

There's nothing quite like waking up at 5am with lights flashing into your bedroom from police cars, and hearing through the open sliding glass door, a police officer saying he's approaching your house...

08-05-2016, 12:08 AM
(07-05-2016 10:35 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Texas has a required safety inspection for vehicles which you cannot pass without both headlights working. I've never heard of an officer doing a safety check in the field, though.

As of 2012, when I left California, they didn't have a safety inspection, only a smog check.

So far as I know, both states require both headlights operational for the vehicle to be on a public roadway, regardless the time of day.

This was 1992. There was no reason for him to demand to check my lights. The ticket was dropped within a few hours.

My boss was very pissed.

08-05-2016, 12:09 AM
(07-05-2016 11:57 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(07-05-2016 11:33 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Yes, it is illegal to only have one headlight though you will usually just get a fix it ticket. Mostly because it would cut your vision in half at night. Similar to driving with one eye open.

That I get. Except this wasn't at night. It was mid-morning on a bright sunny day. I was on my way to work.

The comment that my car might not be street legal really irked me -- I think he had a problem with the car or maybe with the driver.

The car I drove before that closer to not being street legal, but I was never pulled over driving that. (67 Camero).

I've had mostly positive experiences with police. One did admonish me, when all the tires in our neighborhood were slashed, for leaving my car window open and the garage opener right there on center thing. My man didn't argue with that.

There's nothing quite like waking up at 5am with lights flashing into your bedroom from police cars, and hearing through the open sliding glass door, a police officer saying he's approaching your house...

The way you got the violation was BS but the violation itself is valid.

Section 2425. A of the California Vehicle Code:

Quote:All lighting equipment of a required type installed on a
vehicle shall at all times be maintained in good working order.
Lamps shall be equipped with bulbs of the correct voltage rating
corresponding to the nominal voltage at the lamp socket.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
08-05-2016, 12:13 AM
(08-05-2016 12:09 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(07-05-2016 11:57 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  That I get. Except this wasn't at night. It was mid-morning on a bright sunny day. I was on my way to work.

The way you got the violation was BS but the violation itself is valid.

Quote:All lighting equipment of a required type installed on a
vehicle shall at all times be maintained in good working order.
Lamps shall be equipped with bulbs of the correct voltage rating
corresponding to the nominal voltage at the lamp socket.

I get that. He searched until he found something he could give me a ticket for -- when I was pulled over for something else entirely.

He nearly gave me a ticket for only having one license plate, but the front bumper had no place for one.

The car was built at a time when not every state required front and back.

08-05-2016, 12:21 AM
(08-05-2016 12:13 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(08-05-2016 12:09 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  The way you got the violation was BS but the violation itself is valid.

I get that. He searched until he found something he could give me a ticket for -- when I was pulled over for something else entirely.

He nearly gave me a ticket for only having one license plate, but the front bumper had no place for one.

The car was built at a time when not every state required front and back.

Yeah that's Bullshit.