You have to fix everything, before you can do a job.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-01-2017, 08:03 PM
RE: You have to fix everything, before you can do a job.
Today's example: I got the space cleared, the MDF/formica panel cut, Kreg jigged and screwed, back cut and nailed on.
My air compressor is located away from the shop in a shed. We have had lows in the teens for more than a week. The air line in the ground has frozen Facepalm
I drain it off regularly but apparently it has been too long. It is leaking by a little bit and I can run the nailer for a while with the air pressure that build up in the piping, but the sander is a NO go.
I blew off the drain and came back in to complain about it. The alternative is to build a fire on the ground between the shed and garage.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-01-2017, 08:31 PM
(07-01-2017 08:03 PM)skyking Wrote:  Today's example: I got the space cleared, the MDF/formica panel cut, Kreg jigged and screwed, back cut and nailed on.
My air compressor is located away from the shop in a shed. We have had lows in the teens for more than a week. The air line in the ground has frozen Facepalm
I drain it off regularly but apparently it has been too long. It is leaking by a little bit and I can run the nailer for a while with the air pressure that build up in the piping, but the sander is a NO go.
I blew off the drain and came back in to complain about it. The alternative is to build a fire on the ground between the shed and garage.

You need one of these. http://www.tcpglobal.com/TCP-AF8040.html...fgodsCsA2w
07-01-2017, 08:58 PM
My setup is quite the deal. 6 hp 60 gallon compressor that I do drain, and the line is sloped all the way to the garage in the ground. I put a blowoff loop on that line, so the moisture that condenses out of the compressed air in the lines drains back to that low spot. When it gets to the shop it goes vertical for 10 feet and is run above the sheetrock lid, and behind the sheet rock in the walls to 4 drops. Each drop has a drip leg 6" long and a valve.
With the sloped 35' run in the dirt, the 10' vertical, I NEVER get water in those drip legs. It all condenses out in those sloped and vertical sections.
Those air dryer units just catch fine water droplets, they do nothing for high humidity high temperature air that then cools off and loses its capacity to hold moisture. That's the real nemesis of compressed air.
08-01-2017, 07:22 AM
(07-01-2017 07:00 PM)Fireball Wrote:  I had to move stuff all over my mother in law's garage in order to fit the truck in. What with the wind and rain, there's no way I'm gonna get the roof of the cab cleaned up and painted in my driveway. On my way over to her house with it, I can smell asbestos getting hot. I'm thinking it's somebody's clutch. Nope, it's the fucking brakes. I somehow got contamination in the system, and had already replaced the master and bled the system clear, about two months ago. So, now I have to replace every rubber part downstream of the master cylinder. My cost is about $120 for parts (I'm relining the back brakes while I'm at it). It's a good thing I can do it myself, because this would be pushing $1k if I had to have it done. And I have no idea where the contamination came from. Dodgy Now that the truck is 20 miles away, I have to put all the tools in the trunk of my new car (including the floor jack!) and truck them over there. I'll make a list and check it thrice so that I don't have to make another trip for tools. In my prime I could do this shit all day long, but I had a hoist to raise the vehicle up, and didn't have to sit Indian style on the cold concrete floor in the dark with a drop light. Angry I'm getting too old for this shit, and it'll probably take me all day to do a job that I used to be able to do in 2 hours. First world problem, too. Laugh out load

For me -- brake jobs are a snap...

First off -- all the Saturns use the same parts - so I've probably got everything on hand. I've done it so many times, I can do it in my sleep.

Plus, I have pneumatics, and a lift. I can put in all new rubber hoses, new calipers, pads, rotors - shoes, drums (and all the springs) --- in about 2 hours -- mostly sitting down on a barstool......(you can make the car at any height.... why stand??) Total cost under 200 bucks....

If only all of life were so easy.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
08-01-2017, 07:25 AM
(07-01-2017 08:03 PM)skyking Wrote:  Today's example: I got the space cleared, the MDF/formica panel cut, Kreg jigged and screwed, back cut and nailed on.

Is the pipe steel or copper???

If so -- hook up an arc welder to it on both ends -- and turn on on lowest setting (20 amp or so) and slowly increase......

It WILL melt the ice...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
08-01-2017, 08:03 AM
Been there, done that with plumbing on the east side of the state. Nope it is all schedule 40 PVC.
Turns out that I have misdiagnosed it, the plug has to be in the piping above ground inside the shed itself. Today's forecast is for a high of 41 YAY!
This too shall pass.
08-01-2017, 08:06 AM
Oh well... It was a thought....

I can dig the compressor being outside.... I get sick of listening to it too -- and mine's pretty quiet, really....

08-01-2017, 08:09 AM
A thought -- you COULD put the tank inside - and leave the compressor outside.....

In the winter, it'd act like a nice intercooler.... But, the compressed air going into the line would be hot enough to prevent any ice forming in the line....

It's only when it expands coming out of the tank, that you get the expansive cooling, and ice....

You would just need to mount the auto shutoff inside, where it's warm and run the electric out to the compressor.....

08-01-2017, 08:18 AM
I love it how it is, being a tank mounted compressor it would involve a lot of work to separate it. This is the first time in 10 years it has given me a lick of trouble.
I had a bunch of doubting Thomases whining about using plastic pipe. It sure has not been an issue for me. The only bummer is draining the tank. I need to pull the drain valve out and plumb it to make it easier. Put it on the end of a hose or something.
08-01-2017, 08:21 AM
You could put a trap inline from the compressor, with a pinhole in the bottom. That's how to keep condensate out of the steam lines on ships. The hole size would be up for some experimentation.