You heathens ready for Christmas?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-12-2014, 08:31 PM
You heathens ready for Christmas?
Just wondering...any non-Christians here not celebrate?

Atheists/non-religious folks here gearing up? Remembering the reason for the season? New podcast by Seth out on the subject by the way. Old hat for some, but maybe new to others. I'm quite sure I've put some weight on already, we'll see what I look like by years' end.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-12-2014, 09:15 PM
RE: You heathens ready for Christmas?
I generally love Christmas - even all the corny music Smile For some reason, I just haven't been able to get into it this year. I think my fiancé and I are gonna skip town and go do some scuba in the mines in Bonne Terre for our holiday break.

Life is short and hard like a body building elf-- Blood Hound Gang
[+] 1 user Likes k37713's post
15-12-2014, 09:32 PM
I have to go to a party next weekend of hoity-toity music types. They're big drinkers. I'm gonna bring them some little frosted spicy gingerbread cookies, little round lemon French "Napoleon" cookies, (my granny's recipe), but most of all, bourbon fudge. It's a pain to get ready, but fun to attend. They sing stuff, like the Messiah and carols with descants. I'll probably have to play the accompaniment for some of it. Some of the soloists belong at the Met, and their talent is amazing. I like the soprano duets. They are spectacular.

Then I still have to find some holiday gifts. I have the ones for my parents, but I'll be damned if I know what to get my little brother. I'd like to get him his own dog, but my mom would kill me. Every boy needs a puppy dog to grow up with.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
15-12-2014, 09:35 PM
Re: You heathens ready for Christmas?
Generally I try to avoid Christmas celebrations. I don't hate the holiday like I used to, but still not a huge fan.
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
15-12-2014, 10:44 PM
I use to like Christmas. Than I had to stock the Christmas decorations and confectionery at work.
I no longer like Christmas.

[Image: oscar.png]
15-12-2014, 10:48 PM
Almost. Still doing some sewing. Probably need to get some cards in the mail. And there are gifts to be wrapped. I anticipate a busy weekend.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
15-12-2014, 11:17 PM
I'm getting there, slowly but surely.

Daughter's and mom's presents are procured, and I've received one of My presents already. I have one Secret Santa gift to get for a work gift exchange, plus a present for a friend, plus stocking stuffers. I expect to be done well before Christmas Eve, when I and the aforementioned friend go on our traditional Cappuccino Run (ordering coffee and watching last-minute shoppers rush by in a total panic).

Wine for Christmas dinner is in the fridge. Goose hasn't been purchased yet, but the freezer has been defrosted so it can arrive any time now. Gourmet coffee can also be picked up next time I'm near the coffee store. Side dishes (yams, wild rice and such) need to be bought.

Still have three Christmas concerts to play with a couple of community bands. The last show is noon-ish on Christmas Eve, entertaining street people waiting for a seat at a large community dinner.

Menu is mostly set for this Saturday's Yule party, but I haven't started baking or cooking yet. I also have sweets to make for a party on Wednesday night, and a main course for a potluck at work on Thursday. I also have a heck of a lot of cleaning and tidying to do between now and Saturday evening.

As usual, I have entirely too many renovation projects on the go but I'm gradually winding them down and relocating tools and materials out of the dining room. At last count I had several tubes of caulk, 2 gallons of paint, 2 power drills, 3 (!) vacuum cleaners and an awe-inspiring collection of drywall tools in the northeast corner of the room, mostly stashed under the sideboard.

All my mom's Christmas cards are now in the mail.

And most importantly, the official Chocolate Procurement Progress Bar is over 50% and climbing fast, with 4 unopened boxes stashed in the cupboards.

I look forward to the 25th of December -- No dinner guests from outside the house (fed 'em all on Yule and on Christmas Eve), so I can get up late, breakfast on fancy coffee and chocolate, and then cook a nice meal at leisure, washing it down with copious amounts of cava.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-12-2014, 11:24 PM
Oh and this is what I'm Christmas is going to look like.
23rd:
- Working 8pm-4am
24th:
- Working 3pm-11pm doing stock and Boxing day sales tickets.
25th:
- 9am: Get picked up by my meth addicted cousin who just got out of prison about a week ago for getting high on meth, stealing a car and taking the cops on a chase across the country.
- Spend 45minutes in a car on major highways with him awkwardly not knowing what to talk about or if I'm going to die or not.
- Spend the rest of the day with my family. *groan*
- Spend another 45minutes in a car with my meth addicted ex-convict cousin.
26th:
- 6pm-2am: Work, basically restocking the entire store after big sales day.
27th:
- 6pm-2am: Rinse and repeat as previous day.
28th:
- 6pm-2am: Work
29th:
30Th:
1st:
2nd:

And that is all that is on my roster for now. My Christmas temp contract ends on the 5th so hopefully 3-5th is just days off.
Oh, and I'm working on the 21st and 22nd too.

15-12-2014, 11:26 PM
Working 12 hour shifts Christmas Eve, Christmas, and Boxing Day (the day after Christmas for those not familiar with Canadianism). On the upside, I'll get holiday pay for all three and overtime pay for at least one of them. The big fat paycheck will be my Christmas present.

That's the one thing civilian(ish) life has over Army life Tongue

'Murican Canadian
15-12-2014, 11:33 PM
(15-12-2014 11:26 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Working 12 hour shifts Christmas Eve, Christmas, and Boxing Day (the day after Christmas for those not familiar with Canadianism). On the upside, I'll get holiday pay for all three and overtime pay for at least one of them. The big fat paycheck will be my Christmas present.

That's the one thing civilian(ish) life has over Army life Tongue

Christmas Eve isn't a stat day so you'll only get holiday pay for Christmas day and Boxing Day.