You heathens ready for Christmas?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-12-2014, 11:33 PM
RE: You heathens ready for Christmas?
(15-12-2014 08:31 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Just wondering...any non-Christians here not celebrate?

Atheists/non-religious folks here gearing up? Remembering the reason for the season? New podcast by Seth out on the subject by the way. Old hat for some, but maybe new to others. I'm quite sure I've put some weight on already, we'll see what I look like by years' end.

I had a great running start, but got lost along the way. Nothing done, nothing even planned. No clue what I'm cookig Christmas eve, hubby works so dinner must be on the table when he comes through the door so he can scarf down some food and hurry back to work. His mom will be spending the night so I'll be stuck watching Jimmy Stewart.

So far, aside from the older kid who used my amazon account to order his own Christmas gifts and my husband NOTHING has been bought or even planned. I've still got to get gifts for my mil (Christmas and Birthday in very early January -- which reminds me, I need to pick up a birthday card too).

I'll probably feel a little better once I go shopping tomorrow for gifts, at least I hope so. I need a little Christmas right this very minute.
I need to buy regular crap at target too. Ugh it never ends.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-12-2014, 11:36 PM
It's such a low-key event here that I often forget it's happening.

It's officially an office holiday but I'll be working too. Nothing strenuous, just rewriting some course material.

Perhaps working on my book.

There's usually a skype call with the family back home but that won't interrupt too much.

16-12-2014, 12:58 AM
(15-12-2014 11:33 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Christmas Eve isn't a stat day so you'll only get holiday pay for Christmas day and Boxing Day.

Why do you have to ruin my Christmas?

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
16-12-2014, 01:53 AM
(15-12-2014 08:31 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Just wondering...any non-Christians here not celebrate?

Atheists/non-religious folks here gearing up? Remembering the reason for the season? New podcast by Seth out on the subject by the way. Old hat for some, but maybe new to others. I'm quite sure I've put some weight on already, we'll see what I look like by years' end.

My father's side of the family is headed up the coast to spend some time in tents, ostensibly to see the grandparents, as such I already did the gift-giving thing with them and since my mother has excused me from buying presents for her side, with whom I shall be staying, I'm actually done with Giftmas.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
16-12-2014, 03:51 AM
I have decided it's easier just to ignore it. Since hubby died xmas morning 3 years ago, the day has lost it's luster. I'm going to get some good food and drink and just kick back and keep all the hustle and bustle at bay.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
16-12-2014, 04:17 AM
So many merry little Christmas elves, so little kerosene. Angry

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like houseofcantor's post
16-12-2014, 04:22 AM
(16-12-2014 03:51 AM)Dom Wrote:  I have decided it's easier just to ignore it. Since hubby died xmas morning 3 years ago, the day has lost it's luster. I'm going to get some good food and drink and just kick back and keep all the hustle and bustle at bay.

Hug

My birthday is December 23'rd, so I've been dealing with everyone giving more of a shit about the supposed birthday of a mythological baby Jeebus over my own actual birthday for decades, so the entire season lost much of it's appeal quite awhile ago. I still enjoy using it as an excuse to get silly toys for myself and others, mainly I feel like I've come full circle in that I love getting LEGO sets and other impractical things to play with (because I cover all of my own practical necessities better than others can guess, like building my own computer and buying my own clothes).

Still, a laid back casual Christmas is way better than turning it into a heavily scripted and stressful 'event' because you think you have to adhere to some sort of societal expectations.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
16-12-2014, 05:26 AM
This year it's gonna be exciting, because for the first time in years, I'll be with my whole family in my hometown. That was pretty much the only reason Christmas was depressing every year for me, we were never together. But not this year, no siree! Big Grin

Oh and of course I love all the decorations and little lights everywhere and walks in the town with all the music and stuff. I wish there was some snow too though.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
16-12-2014, 07:21 AM
(15-12-2014 08:31 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Atheists/non-religious folks here gearing up? Remembering the reason for the season?

The reason for the season has always been family, for me. Even during my first 30 years as Christian. Occasionally, someone in the family would mention the other reason for the season, and that would be enough to get us thinking about Jesus for about 15 seconds before going back to talking amongst ourselves and eating huge amounts of food.

This has been a weird Christmas in that I've done next to nothing to prepare for it. It's going to be fairly low-key in our immediate family this year, but there will still be plenty of extended family get-togethers.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
16-12-2014, 07:34 AM
Ready for it to be over. The only bright spot in it for me is seeing a smile on my mother's face. Outside that it is a self centered holiday and nothing more than a corporate excuse to sell crap you don't need.

Religious "IT'S MAGIC BABY DAY"

Corporate Merka "BUY SHIT BUY SHIT, HEY, IN CASE YOU FORGOT, BUY SHIT"

BARF!

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user