You just want to sin...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-11-2013, 10:38 AM
You just want to sin...
"You're an atheist just because you want to sin" seems to be a staple of Ray Comfort's explanation for a non-believer's stance. We may have heard this one before from friends or seen it posted on social media comments, and besides being a poor apologetic, it is just plain annoying.

Many of us who are non-believers were once devout. We did not arrive at this point lightly or over night. Whats more, it had nothing to do with a "desire to sin". But to put this to bed I've decided to address this claim against the "10 Commandments" just to show that my atheism has nothing to do with breaking or a desire to break any of them.

1. "You shall have no other gods before me."
When I was a believer, I wanted nothing more but to have this deity on my side. After years of investigation, study and even prayer I came to conclude that there was no evidence that any deity existed. After becoming an atheist, I did not decide to worship Baal, Osiris, Allah, Bumba, or any other deity. So...no. This was not why I became an atheist.

2. "You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. You shall not bow down to them or worship them;"
See the above explanation.

3. "You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name."
I did not arrive at atheism just so I could shout "God Damn it!" or "Jesus Christ!" or even "Golly Willikers" and remain "guiltless". In fact if you listen to me during a Michigan football game you would see that my favorite expletive begins with an "F".

4. "Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy."
When I was a believer, myself along with many of my church members worked on Saturdays. I didn't become an atheist just so I could cut my grass or work on the Sabbath. In fact, we would often clean the church building, trim the hedges and cut the grass on the Sabbath. It was that one commandment we all agreed only applied to the Hebrews. So...nope. Wasn't that one.

5. "Honor your father and your mother..."
When I became an atheist, I was an adult. In fact it never even entered my mind to say, "You know what? I really want to dishonor my parents but this pesky law is in my way. I'm going to reject Yahweh so I can disobey and dishonor them."

6. "You shall not murder."
Do I really need to explain this one? Maybe if my hearts desire was to kill my parents for Baal on Saturday while shouting "God Damn it" in front of a gold cow statue, I could have really covered the top 5. But no, this was not the case. I have and have had no desire to murder.

7. "You shall not commit adultery."
Considering the fact that I was not even married at the time I gave up the faith, this one does not even apply.

8. "You shall not steal."
See number 6. I did not become an atheist because I wanted to start robbing banks or commit to the life of a pirate. In fact, I didn't even want to steal Skittles from the local mini-mart.

9. "You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor."
WTH? Are you kidding? You think I became an atheist just so I could do this?

10. "You shall not covet your neighbor’s house. You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or his male or female servant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor."
Now, as a human I value a good ox and donkey. But I did not come to the conclusion that there is no evidence of the existence of a deity just so I could wish that I had my neighbors belongings.

So, theists and lazy apologist please stop using this idiotic claim!

"Now I don't want to be sane either, but I'm just saying there may be other delusions and hallucinations worthy of consideration before jumping to an irrational conclusion, that's all."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Fisty_McBeefpunch's post
13-11-2013, 10:44 AM
RE: You just want to sin...
Makes more sense to become a theist so you can sin.
Jesus forgives your sins.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 15 users Like sporehux's post
13-11-2013, 11:10 AM (This post was last modified: 13-11-2013 11:24 AM by Anjele.)
Hmmm...I thought one of the Christian teachings is that we are all sinners...as in ALL...even the jebusites.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
13-11-2013, 11:14 AM
Given the definition of sin, it is technically impossible for an unbeliever to perform such.

Therefore, an atheist cannot sin.

Much as we'd like to.

Drinking Beverage

[+] 8 users Like DLJ's post
13-11-2013, 11:51 AM
I basically act the same as when I was "a Christian". So, Comfort's argument fails with me.

And DLJ is right. "Sin" is supposed to be "missing the mark of god", or "doing things against god". No "god", . . . means no "sin".
13-11-2013, 12:00 PM
(13-11-2013 11:51 AM)DeavonReye Wrote:  ...
And DLJ is right...

Given that atheists are incapable of the sin of pride, I just thought I would point out that the above statement is self-evident.

Drinking Beverage

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
13-11-2013, 12:21 PM
Sinning is my favorite! Big Grin

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
13-11-2013, 12:24 PM
Of course, . . . . if "missing god's mark" is the same as NOT wanting to stone adulterers, witches, gays, [and all the other MANY things the biblical god commands] . . . . then I will gladly "sin" every damn day.
[+] 1 user Likes DeavonReye's post
13-11-2013, 12:35 PM
When they say sin I usually think they mean the seven deadly sins..which aren't entirely bad in moderate doses.
Hell, preachers love some of those sins, just look at those fancy mega churches.. and the preachers clothesTongue

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
[+] 1 user Likes grizzlysnake's post
14-11-2013, 08:16 AM
(13-11-2013 12:35 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  When they say sin I usually think they mean the seven deadly sins..which aren't entirely bad in moderate doses.
Hell, preachers love some of those sins, just look at those fancy mega churches.. and the preachers clothesTongue

You are probably very close to the truth on their concept of sin. Most Christians could not tell you what the 10 commandments are, but they are quick to point out that homosexuality is an "abomination". Along with Dungeons and Dragons, Smurfs, Pokemon, Rock/Rap/R&B/or any other music they don't personally like, etc...and on and on.

"Now I don't want to be sane either, but I'm just saying there may be other delusions and hallucinations worthy of consideration before jumping to an irrational conclusion, that's all."
[+] 1 user Likes Fisty_McBeefpunch's post