You just want to sin...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-11-2013, 09:51 AM
RE: You just want to sin...
(14-11-2013 08:16 AM)Fisty_McBeefpunch Wrote:  
(13-11-2013 12:35 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  When they say sin I usually think they mean the seven deadly sins..which aren't entirely bad in moderate doses.
Hell, preachers love some of those sins, just look at those fancy mega churches.. and the preachers clothesTongue

You are probably very close to the truth on their concept of sin. Most Christians could not tell you what the 10 commandments are, but they are quick to point out that homosexuality is an "abomination". Along with Dungeons and Dragons, Smurfs, Pokemon, Rock/Rap/R&B/or any other music they don't personally like, etc...and on and on.

That's what I particularly don't understand. Anything that is popular is sin or of the devil. They do hate magic of all kinds, whether its fictional or not..and seriously, smurfs? That's new to me. Is it the wizard gargamel!? They still think magic is real, that is a huge problem. Childhood must suck under fundie rules. No games, video games, cartoons, tv, books with magic, that's cutting off a huge selection of badass entertainment and creative inspiration.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-11-2013, 11:02 AM
If they bring up the ten commandments, the first thing to do is ask "Which Ten Commandments?" Are they talking about the popular version in Exodus 20 that were given verbally or the version actually written on stone tablets in Exodus 34 that conclude with the bizarre command not to boil baby goats in their mother's milk?

However, they might have a point on the sin issue. After getting divorced I wrestled with the question of what the Bible said regarding my sexual options given my new set of circumstances and came to the following conclusions.

I could either

1) Remain celibate for life. Weeping
2) Get back together with my ex. Censored
3) Get remarried and commit adultery. Unsure
4) Don't remarry and commit the sin of fornication. Thumbsup

So yeah, maybe I do just want to sin. Smile

But seriously, that wasn't why I became an atheist. I spent two years considering myself a Christian who was knowingly violating the will of God. I became an atheist after realizing I could no longer honestly defend the problems with the Bible (contradictions, atrocities, etc.).

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 1 user Likes Can_of_Beans's post
15-11-2013, 07:54 AM
The 10 Commandments story is funny. A great place to show a "god" who actually doesn't see the future.
15-11-2013, 08:46 AM
(13-11-2013 10:38 AM)Fisty_McBeefpunch Wrote:  "You're an atheist just because you want to sin" seems to be a staple of Ray Comfort's explanation for a non-believer's stance. We may have heard this one before from friends or seen it posted on social media comments, and besides being a poor apologetic, it is just plain annoying.

So, theists and lazy apologist please stop using this idiotic claim!

Actually, that argument comes out of necessity for believing in an all-loving God. At the end of the day, Ray simultaneously believes in an all-compassionate, all-merciful god who will totally have you tortured for infinity years for not turning to him for salvation. So, when an atheist says something like "I didn't feel God's presence", or "I tried really hard and couldn't make myself believe", that really strains Ray's cognitive dissonance. What kind of all-merciful god would torture someone who tried really hard and failed? Ray's answer is "God wouldn't! The atheist is just a hedonistic liar who's trying to win an argument. He didn't try to believe, he just wants to sin!"

So, it's not that it's a lazy argument, but more of one that is necessary to help them overcome the Problem of Evil.

(14-11-2013 08:16 AM)Fisty_McBeefpunch Wrote:  You are probably very close to the truth on their concept of sin. Most Christians could not tell you what the 10 commandments are, but they are quick to point out that homosexuality is an "abomination". Along with Dungeons and Dragons, Smurfs, Pokemon, Rock/Rap/R&B/or any other music they don't personally like, etc...and on and on.

Actually, it's homosexuality and shellfish. Those are the two biblical abominations. Damn oysters and clams, ruining this country with their ungodly presence!
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
15-11-2013, 08:50 AM
Re: You just want to sin...
You just oughta flip it.

You know they only go to church so they can sing!

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 3 users Like ClydeLee's post
15-11-2013, 01:11 PM
(15-11-2013 08:50 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  You just oughta flip it.

You know they only go to church so they can sing!

"Stop that. Stop that. You're not gonna do a song while I'm here."

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
15-11-2013, 02:43 PM
If that's true I got scammed, ever since I realized I'm an atheist my sinfulness has reduced dramatically... My life is boring and not going anywhere! not even down!

the atheist lifestyle is boring and uneventful Sad

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
15-11-2013, 07:20 PM
(15-11-2013 02:43 PM)nach_in Wrote:  If that's true I got scammed, ever since I realized I'm an atheist my sinfulness has reduced dramatically... My life is boring and not going anywhere! not even down!

Try eating more babies. I hear that's the thing for us to do.
15-11-2013, 10:02 PM
(15-11-2013 07:20 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(15-11-2013 02:43 PM)nach_in Wrote:  If that's true I got scammed, ever since I realized I'm an atheist my sinfulness has reduced dramatically... My life is boring and not going anywhere! not even down!

Try eating more babies. I hear that's the thing for us to do.

yeah right, as if they would sell them in the supermarket, I live in a third world country you know? not much variety here Sad

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
15-11-2013, 10:08 PM
(13-11-2013 10:38 AM)Fisty_McBeefpunch Wrote:  "You're an atheist just because you want to sin" seems to be a staple of Ray Comfort's explanation for a non-believer's stance. We may have heard this one before from friends or seen it posted on social media comments, and besides being a poor apologetic, it is just plain annoying.

Many of us who are non-believers were once devout. We did not arrive at this point lightly or over night. Whats more, it had nothing to do with a "desire to sin". But to put this to bed I've decided to address this claim against the "10 Commandments" just to show that my atheism has nothing to do with breaking or a desire to break any of them.

1. "You shall have no other gods before me."
When I was a believer, I wanted nothing more but to have this deity on my side. After years of investigation, study and even prayer I came to conclude that there was no evidence that any deity existed. After becoming an atheist, I did not decide to worship Baal, Osiris, Allah, Bumba, or any other deity. So...no. This was not why I became an atheist.

2. "You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. You shall not bow down to them or worship them;"
See the above explanation.

3. "You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name."
I did not arrive at atheism just so I could shout "God Damn it!" or "Jesus Christ!" or even "Golly Willikers" and remain "guiltless". In fact if you listen to me during a Michigan football game you would see that my favorite expletive begins with an "F".

4. "Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy."
When I was a believer, myself along with many of my church members worked on Saturdays. I didn't become an atheist just so I could cut my grass or work on the Sabbath. In fact, we would often clean the church building, trim the hedges and cut the grass on the Sabbath. It was that one commandment we all agreed only applied to the Hebrews. So...nope. Wasn't that one.

5. "Honor your father and your mother..."
When I became an atheist, I was an adult. In fact it never even entered my mind to say, "You know what? I really want to dishonor my parents but this pesky law is in my way. I'm going to reject Yahweh so I can disobey and dishonor them."

6. "You shall not murder."
Do I really need to explain this one? Maybe if my hearts desire was to kill my parents for Baal on Saturday while shouting "God Damn it" in front of a gold cow statue, I could have really covered the top 5. But no, this was not the case. I have and have had no desire to murder.

7. "You shall not commit adultery."
Considering the fact that I was not even married at the time I gave up the faith, this one does not even apply.

8. "You shall not steal."
See number 6. I did not become an atheist because I wanted to start robbing banks or commit to the life of a pirate. In fact, I didn't even want to steal Skittles from the local mini-mart.

9. "You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor."
WTH? Are you kidding? You think I became an atheist just so I could do this?

10. "You shall not covet your neighbor’s house. You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or his male or female servant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor."
Now, as a human I value a good ox and donkey. But I did not come to the conclusion that there is no evidence of the existence of a deity just so I could wish that I had my neighbors belongings.

So, theists and lazy apologist please stop using this idiotic claim!

Now I'm not accusing you of anything, but you have nearly played out precisely the tenets of LaVeyan Atheistic Satanism. Basically doing the exact opposite of the 10 Commandments. You should read the Satanist Bible, it is good though it has no value.