You know what, Atheists are jerks. (sometimes)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-11-2013, 09:02 PM
RE: You know what, Atheists are jerks. (sometimes)
(23-11-2013 08:56 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(23-11-2013 08:53 PM)Teen-skeptic-go! Wrote:  Jerk ≠ A--hole. I'm not sure how you confused the two. Oh, and thanks for the rep.

Would you believe me if I told you I have no idea how I confused them either? Sometimes it pops into my head to make a joke and I don't think very hard before posting it. It's a bad habit I have, no offense meant, only funny. I'm the asshole now.

Well, that's psychology for ya.

Thumbsup

[Image: ezgif_save_1.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TSG's post
23-11-2013, 09:03 PM
So now that I've fucked up the thread from the get go, let me try to steer it back.

I agree. I refuse to read YouTube comments pretty much because of it. News article comment sections are particularly bad. No one ever even attempts to make a point, they just trade insults.

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
23-11-2013, 09:06 PM
(23-11-2013 09:03 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  So now that I've fucked up the thread from the get go, let me try to steer it back.

I agree. I refuse to read YouTube comments pretty much because of it. News article comment sections are particularly bad. No one ever even attempts to make a point, they just trade insults.

Exactly. How can progress be made if the Atheists act like the way they perceive Theists to act?

[Image: ezgif_save_1.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes TSG's post
23-11-2013, 09:12 PM
(23-11-2013 08:43 PM)Teen-skeptic-go! Wrote:  
(23-11-2013 08:41 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  GTFO, traitor. Angry

Big Grin

But seriously, why do you care? Consider

I'm not sure, but I definitely do. I think it's because someone somewhere; nay, many people in many places, think that I am like the aforementioned fecal pellets.

So? Go listen to some tree-huggers bitch about humanity, will that make you wanna stop being human? Peeps that cannot see beyond their own stereotyping, that's all them, not you.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-11-2013, 09:12 PM
(23-11-2013 09:06 PM)Teen-skeptic-go! Wrote:  
(23-11-2013 09:03 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  So now that I've fucked up the thread from the get go, let me try to steer it back.

Exactly. How can progress be made if the Atheists act like the way they perceive Theists to act?

Part of the problem (I think) is the format. There's not a lot of room for actual discussion and the comments come so quick you can't really keep up. It's not atheist vs. theist, good ol' human nature takes over and it's just a pissing contest.

And no progress is made. Happens here a lot too, but I think for the most part a lot of good discussion does happen here.

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
23-11-2013, 09:15 PM

Pretty sure they don't give a crap about any type of progress. We are all scattered, none of us have any unifying factor besides the not believing in god thing in various degrees of confidence. How we express that is like throwing darts in a hurricane

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
[+] 1 user Likes grizzlysnake's post
23-11-2013, 09:25 PM
(23-11-2013 09:15 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  Pretty sure they don't give a crap about any type of progress. We are all scattered, none of us have any unifying factor besides the not believing in god thing in various degrees of confidence. How we express that is like throwing darts in a hurricane

True. But looking around here you can see that despite our differences, our end goal (for those of us who have one) concerning a push for atheism to become more socially accepted is a unifying factor. And we all tend to agree more or less on what methods will work best in what situations.

One would think that most atheists anywhere would agree to this, but the opposite is seen. Maybe it's just those certain formats that attract those certain personalities and therefore tend to be more prevalent?

23-11-2013, 09:29 PM

Over-generalize much?

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
23-11-2013, 09:43 PM
(23-11-2013 09:29 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(23-11-2013 09:06 PM)Teen-skeptic-go! Wrote:  Exactly. How can progress be made if the Atheists act like the way they perceive Theists to act?

Over-generalize much?

Ah, he just wants the world to be soft and cuddly. I used to be young once. Worst weekend of my life. Angel

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like houseofcantor's post
23-11-2013, 09:48 PM
(23-11-2013 09:25 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(23-11-2013 09:15 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  Pretty sure they don't give a crap about any type of progress. We are all scattered, none of us have any unifying factor besides the not believing in god thing in various degrees of confidence. How we express that is like throwing darts in a hurricane

True. But looking around here you can see that despite our differences, our end goal (for those of us who have one) concerning a push for atheism to become more socially accepted is a unifying factor. And we all tend to agree more or less on what methods will work best in what situations.

One would think that most atheists anywhere would agree to this, but the opposite is seen. Maybe it's just those certain formats that attract those certain personalities and therefore tend to be more prevalent?
Well yes, the most vocal are usually the loudest. I think we need a common ground though, not just us but the theist. Something everyone or at least many will agree with. I'm thinking an opposition to theocracy. Not only will this hurt us but also those who don't share the views of the ones in charge. It very well could not happen but there is no doubt many are making the push to influence laws, ,courts and the public square. I would say all over, maybe more true in the US.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
[+] 1 user Likes grizzlysnake's post