You know what, Atheists are jerks. (sometimes)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-11-2013, 09:53 PM (This post was last modified: 24-11-2013 09:41 AM by TSG.)
RE: You know what, Atheists are jerks. (sometimes)
(23-11-2013 09:43 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(23-11-2013 09:29 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Over-generalize much?

Ah, he just wants the world to be soft and cuddly. I used to be young once. Worst weekend of my life. Angel

I don't want the world to be soft and cuddly, I just don't want it to be malevolent and rabid. Is adulthood really that evil, that global co-operation and understanding doesn't seem like a worthy goal?

[Image: ezgif_save_1.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-11-2013, 09:58 PM
Losing one's religion can be a multi-layered thing.

The aforementioned 'jerks' serve the purpose of attacking the fluffy, cotton-wool outer layer... they plant a seed.

Of course, they will also trigger the god-virus's defense mode but the inane defense responses of the theists may help to push a doubter a little further from the fold.

/mixed metaphors.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
23-11-2013, 10:00 PM
Open internet forums that don't have any type of screening or community will always be filled with trolls and dicks. Although I don't mind seeing atheists be mean about religion, or belief. I don't particular like seeing them personally insult theists. Many times these are empty insults made without the appropriate knowledge needed to make it. That and it's a very ineffective way to get your point across.
23-11-2013, 10:01 PM
Everyone that fits into the same categories as me who are not me disservice me by not representing me accurately enough. I'm talking you you, people who are white, have a penis, wear blue jeans, from planet earth, humanoids, etc.

[+] 5 users Like Dark Light's post
23-11-2013, 10:09 PM
(23-11-2013 10:00 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Open internet forums that don't have any type of screening or community will always be filled with trolls and dicks. Although I don't mind seeing atheists be mean about religion, or belief. I don't particular like seeing them personally insult theists. Many times these are empty insults made without the appropriate knowledge needed to make it. That and it's a very ineffective way to get your point across.

This comment: "lolololol god does no exist, you are using your make believe sky friend as justification for abusing innocent women. I hope you feel reeaaally good about yourself. Oh and yeah, number 9 of the ten commandments, you shall not lie. Guess those Muppets in the lab coats will get to harass the poor girls in hell as well."

The original comment is somewhere in this video's comment section, but it's YouTube, so there's no way to find it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8M-zS5dSP0

There are other examples, but not ones that I can think of right at this moment.

[Image: ezgif_save_1.gif]
23-11-2013, 10:12 PM
It takes all kinds to make a world, so extremists of all kinds are going to come across as jerks to the others groups.

While I personally lose a little respect for someone if I find out they are very religious, I still have tons of friends and family who are Christians. I think people can get along if they put their differences aside. (But as a side note: In the case of Christianity, I don't think most people who identify as Christian really are Christian. Many of them just believe in a "higher power" that loves us. They don't believe their non-believing family is going to hell. Blah blah blah.)

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
[+] 2 users Like Cephalotus's post
23-11-2013, 10:21 PM
Hi, TeenSkeptic = )

First, I would like to say that I didn't think you were "only in eighth grade." Yay for hope for our nation's youth. (If you are even from US... I didn't check. If you're not, yay for the world's youth!)

And as for the point of your post: I totally understand where you're coming from. I hate when people judge me negatively based on my godless-ness. I LOVE when I see/hear well-spoken, well-kept individuals showing that atheists are NOT what the theists books/teaching may depict. (I also love dirty, crazy atheists, but that's because I like individuality...)

Why perpetuate stereotypes?

BUT... there are days that I can't help myself. I will troll YouTube for stupid videos glorifying religions or angels or "proving demons exist," etcetera. Those days, I don't necessarily go on there LOOKING to annihilate their hopes and dreams in regards to their religion, but if they are posting hurtful, bigoted comments about atheists or spreading nonsense as though it is fact (or ESPECIALLY if they are videos geared toward innocent children) I will say something and I WILL be relentless.

Drinking Beverage

But for the most part, I stay away from commenting. (I actually used to HATE YouTube trolls. They would make me roll my eyes. But someone showed me that there are dumb ones who just wanna be mean and ones that are mean, but are shedding light on a "touchy subject.") Besides, if the theist comes back for more, they are themselves looking for a debate, so I don't feel bad for them.

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
[+] 1 user Likes Peanut's post
23-11-2013, 10:44 PM
I wrote a response....but then I accidentally deleted a whole line...so I pressed cntl+z to undo..but it undid a word instead of restoring my deleted line. So I tried Cntl+r for redo to see if I could get it back....but I think that refreshed the page because I LOST EVERYTHING I WROTE.

And now I'm...well I'm not interested in re-writing my response at the very least. Weeping
[+] 4 users Like Adrianime's post
23-11-2013, 10:47 PM
(23-11-2013 09:53 PM)Teen-skeptic-go! Wrote:  
(23-11-2013 09:43 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Ah, he just wants the world to be soft and cuddly. I used to be young once. Worst weekend of my life. Angel

I don't want the world to be soft and cuddly, I just don't want to be malevolent and rabid. Is adulthood really that evil, that global co-operation and understanding doesn't seem like a worthy goal?

The worst disillusionment I had in my life was when I realized that adults don't behave much better than children. Sorry to bust yer bubble, kiddo, I really am.

You yourself can be just as non-malevolent and non-rabid as you want to: that's the good news.

Not sure we're going to get global cooperation and understanding, ever. Not with people flying airplanes into skyscrapers (among other atrocities) over their superstitions. But it IS a worthy ideal.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 4 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
23-11-2013, 10:53 PM
Look, TSG. A subset of all human beings are jerks and assholes. That's life. A pessimist says this is a very large subset. An optimist says this is a very small subset.

Now, but for the trivial case, there are necessarily members who belong to both "people who are jerks" and any other subset of humanity you care to consider. This then necessarily includes atheists.

(the trivial case, of course, being the intersection of "people who are jerks" with "people who are not jerks" - which is null)

... this is my signature!
[+] 4 users Like cjlr's post