You know what, Atheists are jerks. (sometimes)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-11-2013, 10:14 AM
RE: You know what, Atheists are jerks. (sometimes)
(24-11-2013 09:53 AM)Teen-skeptic-go! Wrote:  
(24-11-2013 07:00 AM)IndianAtheist Wrote:  Wait so you're making a thread just because you found some jerks on youtube ?? WOW THAT'S A NEWS TO ME!

Not just on YouTube, everywhere. I don't think that we should just shrug it off as "people will be jerks"; I think we should actually try to fix it. I doubt anyone here would be like, "Well sure, slavery is bad, but it's in human nature to keep slaves. We have kept slaves or thousands of years, and we shouldn't try to change human nature." If people can change society so that slavery, misogyny, racism, etc, are no longer acceptable, why in the world should we shrug off insults on the internet as something that should be considered ordinary?

Well - yes and no in my opinion.
Comes down to the mood of the speaker, the delivery or intent of the post they're responding to, ect (lots of variables really)
bottom line for me is that I've seen two mistakes floating around the atheists community the past few years:

(1) patience and eloquence are often paired/equated to/judged to be/equal to intelligence. Which may or may not be correct. Just because someone is soft spoken is no gauge really of their intelligence. I've met some rather smart cookies online that could debate someone into the ground using *fuck* every third word to do it. It's the data that matters - Delivery should be individual - hence:
(2) Logic is logic regardless of the delivery (in my opinion) And I'd argue that there's room for everyone and differing **styles** are important to cultivate - not squash and control. I hate seeing individualism get smashed for ANY reason. Those atheists out there who've been whining and whining the past few years against those with sharp edges and snarky delivery need to mind their own Ps and Qs - perhaps take note that they're no different than the church that seeks control. Trying to control people is trying to control people.
If you're an atheist yet you try to control how other atheists say or do what they say or do........... how are you different than the church?

Me? I'll read what someone has to say - regardless of delivery. In fact, I might just give less attention to the pompous windbag, armed with huge vocabulary who's clearly doing nothing else but being condescending and self-promoting at the same time. Most of us can whip out eloquence when we want or need to.
But then I've always been a give-it-to-me-straight-sort of gal.

There's room for everyone and all styles and personalities.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-11-2013, 10:42 AM
(24-11-2013 01:30 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  I hear you. I agree with you. The issue is progress. The idea is being effective.

Being right won't get you shit in this world. Being effective will.

Being just as asinine and insulting as everyone else in stupid insult wars on comment vines does absolute dick for what needs to happen for true humanity to break free from the rhetoric. It only encourages it.

I applaud those who are relentless, but I hate mindless drones. We have what seems to be a multitude of both in this world.

Both sides have a tendency to draw up a strawman of close-mindedness and hatred of the opposition. Both sides are usually correct. Stalemate.

There has to be a better way to communicate.

Yes, that.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
24-11-2013, 10:48 AM (This post was last modified: 24-11-2013 10:53 AM by IndianAtheist.)
(24-11-2013 09:53 AM)Teen-skeptic-go! Wrote:  Not just on YouTube, everywhere.
Well now you just sound like an old person who's fed up of this hot topic.

There's always a minority of assholes everywhere,no one pays any heed to them because they are idiots segregating them into groups is a BIG BIG mistake that one group of idiots don't represent atheism or its ideals.
Quote:I think we should actually try to fix it.
Fix what ? the internet is about anonymity people speak what they want to without the constrains of dealing with the consequences of their words.

you want to abolish internet anonymity and make everything like facebook ? just because there are some idiots ?
Quote:If people can change society so that slavery, misogyny, racism, etc, are no longer acceptable
YOU'RE SERIOUSLY COMPARING Slavery and rasim WITH fucking internet trolls ? are you oprah ?

This is what happens when you the internet too seriously.
24-11-2013, 11:15 AM
(24-11-2013 10:48 AM)IndianAtheist Wrote:  
(24-11-2013 09:53 AM)Teen-skeptic-go! Wrote:  Not just on YouTube, everywhere.
Well now you just sound like an old person who's fed up of this hot topic.

There's always a minority of assholes everywhere,no one pays any heed to them because they are idiots segregating them into groups is a BIG BIG mistake that one group of idiots don't represent atheism or its ideals.
Quote:I think we should actually try to fix it.
Fix what ? the internet is about anonymity people speak what they want to without the constrains of dealing with the consequences of their words.

you want to abolish internet anonymity and make everything like facebook ? just because there are some idiots ?
Quote:If people can change society so that slavery, misogyny, racism, etc, are no longer acceptable
YOU'RE SERIOUSLY COMPARING Slavery and rasim WITH fucking internet trolls ? are you oprah ?

This is what happens when you the internet too seriously.

Stop underexaggerating!

[Image: ezgif_save_1.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes TSG's post
24-11-2013, 11:26 AM
This kid needs to go over to Atheism+. Dodgy

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
24-11-2013, 01:51 PM
(23-11-2013 11:50 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  ... Elvis is walking around and possibly working as the mall Santa....
I want to personally thank you for this image and contributing joy to my paranoiac holiday season. Shy

(23-11-2013 11:52 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Believing something stupid and being stupid are entirely different Tongue.
Yabut, if they show up in the same person... Dodgy

(24-11-2013 01:16 AM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  I agree that Atheists are often jerks. I don't agree with the idea that they shouldn't be.
Thumbsup

(24-11-2013 01:30 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  I hear you. I agree with you. The issue is progress. The idea is being effective.
Being right won't get you shit in this world. Being effective will.
Being just as asinine and insulting as everyone else in stupid insult wars on comment vines does absolute dick for what needs to happen for true humanity to break free from the rhetoric. It only encourages it.
I applaud those who are relentless, but I hate mindless drones. We have what seems to be a multitude of both in this world.
Both sides have a tendency to draw up a strawman of close-mindedness and hatred of the opposition. Both sides are usually correct. Stalemate.

There has to be a better way to communicate.

I agree. By Wednesday, this will be in my mailbox:
A Manual for Creating Atheists by Dr. Peter Boghossian.

Shameless plugs:
"This book is essential for nonbelievers who want to do more than just carp about religion, but want to weaken its odious grasp on the world." --Jerry Coyne, Ph.D.

"Peter Boghossian's techniques of friendly persuasion are not mine, and maybe I'd be more effective if they were. They are undoubtedly very persuasive--and very much needed."-- Richard Dawkins

Can't wait to get it and maybe try it out. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
24-11-2013, 06:33 PM (This post was last modified: 24-11-2013 06:45 PM by GirlyMan.)
(23-11-2013 10:53 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Look, TSG. A subset of all human beings are jerks and assholes. That's life. A pessimist says this is a very large subset. An optimist says this is a very small subset.

Pricks are a small subset. Most people are decent regardless of their metaphysics. But the only real response to pricks is to be prepared to show them an even bigger prick. "That ain't a prick. That looks more like a clit. Here let Girly show you what a real prick looks like." But, like an expert in martial arts, boxing, wrestling, etc. prick vs. prick is used only as a last resort. Somebody might get hurt and I'm gonna make sure it ain't Girly. Typically they're not big enough to even warrant attention and I just ignore them. Sometimes when I'm bored I'll tickle them, though. Big Grin

Thicken your skin Teen Skeptic, they're a small subset but you're gonna meet more than one. On the interwebz it's irrelevant and doesn't warrant response or even notice. But in real life you'll have to be ready to deal with it. Best to have a variety of different escalating responses at the ready. Thumbsup

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
24-11-2013, 08:09 PM
(24-11-2013 11:26 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  This kid needs to go over to Atheism+. Dodgy

LOL, the same Atheism+ where Richard Carrier calls atheists who don't toe his line "CHUDs"...?

Shocking

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
24-11-2013, 08:14 PM
(24-11-2013 08:09 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(24-11-2013 11:26 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  This kid needs to go over to Atheism+. Dodgy

LOL, the same Atheism+ where Richard Carrier calls atheists who don't toe his line "CHUDs"...?

Shocking

That's the price of admission into soft & cuddly land. Angel

Ya can be a wild animal, or ya can live in a zoo; way I see it.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
24-11-2013, 08:21 PM
Yeah, it's sorta expected though. There are dicks from every group.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.