You know what, Atheists are jerks. (sometimes)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-11-2013, 09:29 PM
RE: You know what, Atheists are jerks. (sometimes)
CAn't say ive meet an Atheist jerk yet, all seem to be rational kind people, mindful of offending people religious cultures.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-11-2013, 09:54 PM
(24-11-2013 08:14 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(24-11-2013 08:09 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  LOL, the same Atheism+ where Richard Carrier calls atheists who don't toe his line "CHUDs"...?

Shocking

That's the price of admission into soft & cuddly land. Angel

Ya can be a wild animal, or ya can live in a zoo; way I see it.

LOLOL

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
25-11-2013, 06:53 AM
(24-11-2013 11:15 AM)Teen-skeptic-go! Wrote:  Stop underexaggerating!
There's no such word as 'under exaggeration' the proper word should be 'Understatement'.

eitherway there are jerks everywhere you can't blame one particular group for that.Drinking Beverage
25-11-2013, 02:49 PM
(24-11-2013 01:30 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Being right won't get you shit in this world. Being effective will.

I find that being right, is a prerequisite for being effective. Exactly how effective can the study of the earth as a planet be, if we as a species believe it to be flat? Being correct, or being factual, is vital to effectiveness.

(24-11-2013 01:30 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Being just as asinine and insulting as everyone else in stupid insult wars on comment vines does absolute dick for what needs to happen for true humanity to break free from the rhetoric. It only encourages it.

I believe that there is a place for both the asinine and the insulting in this argument. Sometimes it requires the simplistic, asinine jabs of a teenager to fully illuminate the immature antics of believers. Sometimes it requires a direct insult in order to penetrate thick clouds of insanity with something that is so effective against it, mockery.

(24-11-2013 01:30 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  I applaud those who are relentless, but I hate mindless drones. We have what seems to be a multitude of both in this world.

I am not sure how I would be able to tell the difference between a relentless moral crusader, and a mindless drone. Some commentators on this argument seemed at one time mindless to me, and yet a closer examination revealed a person of dedicated moral thought. The illusion of mindlessness was merely a symptom of my lack of perspective. Simply put, I was not in their head, but stuck in my own. I could not feel the motivation that drives them, as they do daily.

(24-11-2013 01:30 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Both sides have a tendency to draw up a strawman of close-mindedness and hatred of the opposition. Both sides are usually correct. Stalemate.

Were I to be accused of close-mindedness, I would have to plead guilty to the charge. My mind is closed to an idea the moment it has been shown to be factually false or morally harmful. Once this is the case, I do not open my mind again unless there is further evidence presented to me, that might shed light on the subject.

To the charge of hatred, I plead guilty also. I feel a deep sense of hatred, that is both general and personal, towards any person who supports immoral, harmful, or false ideas. I consider them to be my enemy as clearly as if they had put a pistol to my head. Their ideas are likely to get me killed just the same.

Never let yourself believe that there are no errors in your perception, or that your perspective will not be improved if you identify and correct those flaws. -Aron Ra
25-11-2013, 03:11 PM
Now hold on TGS. I'm an atheist, and an asshole. And you still think I'm awesome...

And you're a bit of an ass when you intentionally crank up your DS with Link to the Past and kill my ears over Half Life.

[Image: garbage-day-o.gif]
25-11-2013, 03:35 PM
(25-11-2013 02:49 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  
(24-11-2013 01:30 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Being right won't get you shit in this world. Being effective will.

I find that being right, is a prerequisite for being effective. Exactly how effective can the study of the earth as a planet be, if we as a species believe it to be flat? Being correct, or being factual, is vital to effectiveness.
No offense, but the existence and widespread adoption of religion takes a dump all over what you said there.
[+] 2 users Like Adrianime's post
25-11-2013, 03:59 PM (This post was last modified: 25-11-2013 04:05 PM by evenheathen.)
(25-11-2013 02:49 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  

(24-11-2013 01:30 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Being just as asinine and insulting as everyone else in stupid insult wars on comment vines does absolute dick for what needs to happen for true humanity to break free from the rhetoric. It only encourages it.

I believe that there is a place for both the asinine and the insulting in this argument. Sometimes it requires the simplistic, asinine jabs of a teenager to fully illuminate the immature antics of believers. Sometimes it requires a direct insult in order to penetrate thick clouds of insanity with something that is so effective against it, mockery.

(24-11-2013 01:30 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  I applaud those who are relentless, but I hate mindless drones. We have what seems to be a multitude of both in this world.

I am not sure how I would be able to tell the difference between a relentless moral crusader, and a mindless drone. Some commentators on this argument seemed at one time mindless to me, and yet a closer examination revealed a person of dedicated moral thought. The illusion of mindlessness was merely a symptom of my lack of perspective. Simply put, I was not in their head, but stuck in my own. I could not feel the motivation that drives them, as they do daily.

(24-11-2013 01:30 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Both sides have a tendency to draw up a strawman of close-mindedness and hatred of the opposition. Both sides are usually correct. Stalemate.

Were I to be accused of close-mindedness, I would have to plead guilty to the charge. My mind is closed to an idea the moment it has been shown to be factually false or morally harmful. Once this is the case, I do not open my mind again unless there is further evidence presented to me, that might shed light on the subject.

To the charge of hatred, I plead guilty also. I feel a deep sense of hatred, that is both general and personal, towards any person who supports immoral, harmful, or false ideas. I consider them to be my enemy as clearly as if they had put a pistol to my head. Their ideas are likely to get me killed just the same.

Interesting insights. Thanks. Smile

I don't disagree with you. But at the same time I think there is a time and place for each type of argument style. I personally prefer a tone of respect to begin a conversation. Where it goes from there is subject to attitudes and willingness to attempt civil discourse.

That's just my opinion however. I'm as guilty as anyone else of shitty, rude behavior.

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
25-11-2013, 04:13 PM
(25-11-2013 03:35 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  No offense, but the existence and widespread adoption of religion takes a dump all over what you said there.

No offense, but you are exactly right. It takes a massive shit over that argument. I was wrong.

Effectiveness doesn't seem to require the truth does it? We could effectively teach everyone the virtues of believing in the Dark Bunny of the Underworld, who demands sacrifice of human beings, but be no closer to moral truth.

Thank you for correcting me.

Never let yourself believe that there are no errors in your perception, or that your perspective will not be improved if you identify and correct those flaws. -Aron Ra
[+] 4 users Like Dark Phoenix's post
25-11-2013, 04:38 PM
(23-11-2013 08:28 PM)Teen-skeptic-go! Wrote:  WHOA, SHOCKING TITLE!

Yes, I know I'm an atheist, and statistically speaking, if you're reading this post, you are probably an atheist as well. Again, statistically speaking, the topic of this post probably doesn't pertain to you, since MOST of the people on this forum are nice. When I say Atheists, I am referring to those horrible fecal pellets that insult every theist they come across, and act like they are the most intelligent beings on Earth.

You see them online everywhere you look, they litter YouTube, they swarm game servers, and they are relentless. Whenever a Theist talks about their beliefs, they go out and say something like, "You know God is just a stpid mith, and your stupid for beleaveing in him." They are almost like a caricature of a Christian's idea of Atheists. "Them Atheists are filled with hate, they hate the LORD, and they hate you. They deserve to burn." These Atheists obviously aren't attempting to deconvert their Theist victims, they just want to insult their every core belief, furthering the Theist's conviction, because they are told that Atheists are beastly and cruel. When it is shown to them that Atheists are, their faith increases. These Atheists exist offline too, in fact, I have a few in my 8th grade class. One kid who seems to be an Atheist because "The idea of God is stupid", and apparently, Atheism is cool. Another Atheist acts much more respectful, thankfully, but I think she's a little too respectful. She supports Israel in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict (something that I don't) because apparently Judaists deserve to usurp land from another group of people just because they believe that God promised the land to them. I think that that is going a little too far in the area of respect for a religion. Nonetheless, at least she isn't an atheist just because it's "cool". What say ye?

Um as compared to what? Shooting girls in the head because they want educations? Slamming planes into buildings because someone insulted your religion?

Please tell me why we should not insult them? Please tell me the tea party republicans say they want less government but want to control the bodies of women?

Please tell me why we shouldn't insult people who want to turn back voting rights?

Being insulted is nothing compared to being oppressed. Christians, non-Shiites, gays and atheists who live in Iran have something to bitch about. I'd say your priorities are way out of whack if being insulted is your biggest concern in life.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Brian37's post
25-11-2013, 04:40 PM
Oh and what makes you think that because someone supports Israel that they like everything they do? I don't like what either side is doing. I'd prefer they take their game of capture the flag to another planet.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Brian37's post