You know what, Atheists are jerks. (sometimes)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-11-2013, 05:21 PM
RE: You know what, Atheists are jerks. (sometimes)
I started writing something, then thought further. I guess I'm torn on this subject. On the one hand, being a fan of Monty Python, I do enjoy a good jab at religion (an artform from Python, to be sure). On the other hand, insults usually just get people riled, not thinking.

Perhaps that's the distinction for me. Mockery vs. insults. Are they really the same thing? I don't think so.

The sorts of insults you see in YouTube comments can rarely be described as "crafted" so much as "vomited". Why would you even go there? No, don't answer. I've felt the urge to read them once or twice. But for me, that's usually enough to discourage a return visit...for a time. Ghastly things! I also rarely come away from such things without my sense of human compassion severely skewed. Unhealthy IMHO. Stay away!

Mockery: Allow me to draw you a caricature of how your beliefs appear to me to illustrate how they seem ridiculous to me.

Insult: You, sir, are stupid.

One, if well crafted, can induce thought. The other, most likely, only anger and thoughts of further insults, ad infinitum.

Try not to make a judgement of the human condition based on most of the things you see online.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Cardinal Smurf's post
27-11-2013, 08:08 AM
(25-11-2013 04:38 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  Um as compared to what? Shooting girls in the head because they want educations? Slamming planes into buildings because someone insulted your religion?
Yeah according to him some atheistic jerks are comparable to racism and sexism.
27-11-2013, 08:25 AM
(27-11-2013 08:08 AM)IndianAtheist Wrote:  
(25-11-2013 04:38 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  Um as compared to what? Shooting girls in the head because they want educations? Slamming planes into buildings because someone insulted your religion?
Yeah according to him some atheistic jerks are comparable to racism and sexism.

Yep, I'll admit I am an asshole and a jerk, and my point would be "so"? When you can point out where I call for the forced end of religion are call other races sub human, then you can equate me to the real assholes. But if all I am doing is saying "that is not true" or "bullshit", these PC types have no case.

I think your priorities are fucked up if you care more about blasphemy than you should about the violence done in the name of religion.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-11-2013, 08:41 AM
“Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions." -- Thomas Jefferson

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
27-11-2013, 09:08 AM
(27-11-2013 08:25 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  I think your priorities are fucked up if you care more about blasphemy than you should about the violence done in the name of religion.

Now I could give a damn about being PC, but insulting someone for something someone else did a hundred or a thousand years ago hardly seems effective. Is it a good point to bring up in a debate? Sure. But as an excuse to be an anonymous asshole on the net? No

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
27-11-2013, 09:12 AM
(27-11-2013 09:08 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(27-11-2013 08:25 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  I think your priorities are fucked up if you care more about blasphemy than you should about the violence done in the name of religion.

Now I could give a damn about being PC, but insulting someone for something someone else did a hundred or a thousand years ago hardly seems effective. Is it a good point to bring up in a debate? Sure. But as an excuse to be an anonymous asshole on the net? No

I agree - in theory ---
BUT
the current day blame/ridicule/insults are generally done because those of today tend to skip over or whitewash their own religion's past doings. When all the crimes of religion have been put in check - I agree to be PC 100% of the time.

I've yet to see religions clear up their bloody pasts and those devout today don't seem to mind what their history is. This is where, I think, a great deal of venom comes from.

my 2 cents worth
Sadcryface

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
27-11-2013, 09:18 AM
(27-11-2013 09:12 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(27-11-2013 09:08 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Now I could give a damn about being PC, but insulting someone for something someone else did a hundred or a thousand years ago hardly seems effective. Is it a good point to bring up in a debate? Sure. But as an excuse to be an anonymous asshole on the net? No

I agree - in theory ---
BUT
the current day blame/ridicule/insults are generally done because those of today tend to skip over or whitewash their own religion's past doings. When all the crimes of religion have been put in check - I agree to be PC 100% of the time.

I've yet to see religions clear up their bloody pasts and those devout today don't seem to mind what their history is. This is where, I think, a great deal of venom comes from.

my 2 cents worth
Sadcryface

Sure, I agree. But if all you're doing is saying "your religion did this a long time ago so that makes you a stupid poopy face " will only make them gloss over the fact even more.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
27-11-2013, 09:23 AM

Do something.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
27-11-2013, 09:30 AM
Quote:Now I could give a damn about being PC, but insulting someone for something someone else did a hundred or a thousand years ago hardly seems effective. Is it a good point to bring up in a debate? Sure. But as an excuse to be an anonymous asshole on the net?

Um you cant insult the dead, but you can insult the fact that people still buy those comic books.

And again, I think one's priorities are fucked up if they care more about their god being called names more than the violence people do in the name of their god/s.

Do you want a less violent world? Do you want a more mature world where people don't act out in violence merely because they get offended?

Is it because I am not living as an oppressed country that you call me an asshole because of my autonomy? Fine, you don't have to believe me.

How about atheists living in Syria. Look up Syrian Atheists on FB. They are blaspheming and saying the same things I am. So you don't have to focus on me.

Go ask Malala what she thinks is more harmful, blasphemy or an actual bullet. Ask Ayaan Hersi Ali what she thinks of having her friend murdered and how much fun death threats are.

You think I am an asshole? So?

Malala was bullied. Ayaan was bullied, gays and Christians living in Iran are bullied. They have to live in fear. "Bullshit" may be jarring as a word and offensive, but it not bigotry nor is it violence or force.

Get some perspective because your PC crap wont help the oppressed of any label.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
27-11-2013, 10:07 AM
(27-11-2013 09:30 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  
Quote:Now I could give a damn about being PC, but insulting someone for something someone else did a hundred or a thousand years ago hardly seems effective. Is it a good point to bring up in a debate? Sure. But as an excuse to be an anonymous asshole on the net?

Um you cant insult the dead, but you can insult the fact that people still buy those comic books.

And again, I think one's priorities are fucked up if they care more about their god being called names more than the violence people do in the name of their god/s.

Do you want a less violent world? Do you want a more mature world where people don't act out in violence merely because they get offended?

Is it because I am not living as an oppressed country that you call me an asshole because of my autonomy? Fine, you don't have to believe me.

How about atheists living in Syria. Look up Syrian Atheists on FB. They are blaspheming and saying the same things I am. So you don't have to focus on me.

Go ask Malala what she thinks is more harmful, blasphemy or an actual bullet. Ask Ayaan Hersi Ali what she thinks of having her friend murdered and how much fun death threats are.

You think I am an asshole? So?

Malala was bullied. Ayaan was bullied, gays and Christians living in Iran are bullied. They have to live in fear. "Bullshit" may be jarring as a word and offensive, but it not bigotry nor is it violence or force.

Get some perspective because your PC crap wont help the oppressed of any label.

I don't recall calling you an asshole, but thanks for playing the victim and putting words in my mouth.

I think we're talking about two different levels of conversation here. On one level I completely agree with you. On another I don't. Deal with it.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post