You know what really grinds my gears........

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-09-2015, 07:21 PM (This post was last modified: 26-09-2015 11:37 PM by Thumpalumpacus.)
RE: You know what really grinds my gears........
(26-09-2015 06:20 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Ummm...yeah, my empathy is frequently on vacation as is apparent I assume.

You are a better person.

Firstly, I didn't say or imply that I was better than anyone. I asked how atheists who garner their morals from empathy could demonstrate a lack of it in this thread. If you're not one of them, my question doesn't apply. If you are, your answer implies that empathy is not foremost in your considerations, and that's fine.

Do you not feel bad for folks who die in airplane crashes? They put themselves in danger too. What about miners who die in collapses?

I don't think your standard is well-thought-out, is my point.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-09-2015, 09:41 PM (This post was last modified: 28-09-2015 07:35 AM by DLJ.)
(26-09-2015 04:56 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(26-09-2015 01:14 PM)DLJ Wrote:  There's a strong emotional element to it too (one might recall how it effected Malcolm X ... positively) in that it's unifying and humbling to be with hundreds of thousands of others of equal status (that's why everyone dresses the same ... no status).

*affected Smile

Thanks. I always struggle with that one.

I was taught ... 'affect' as in affectation; airs and graces... 'effect' as in cause to change.

In this case I first wrote 'affect' and then changed it to 'effect'.

Next time, I'll just write 'changed'.

Blush

26-09-2015, 09:54 PM
(26-09-2015 07:21 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(26-09-2015 06:20 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Ummm...yeah, my empathy is frequently on vacation as is apparent I assume.

You are a better person.

Firstly, I didn't say or imply that I was better than anyone. I asked how atheists who garner their morals from empathy could demonstrate a lack of it in this thread. If you're not one of them, my question doesn't apply. If you are, your answer implies that empathy is not foremost in your considerations, and that's fine.

Do you not feel bad for folks who die I airplane crashes? They put themselves in danger too. What about miners who die in collapses?

I don't think your standard is well-thought-out, is my point.

And that is your opinion and your right.

I have a lot of empathy for things that I can have empathy for...people who are suffering from things that I have some experience with.

I can have sympathy for people who have suffered things I don't have experience with. There's a difference.

Miners who die in collapses are doing their jobs. They are working to earn a living to support their families. They don't have control over a sudden collapse, and yes I am sympathetic in that case.

As for a religious mob who are willing to trample over other members of the same mob - I have less sympathy and concern. Maybe I don't know enough about the reasons or the drive to do such a thing...probably I don't. But I cannot feel empathy for someone who dies while carrying out a religious activity. I cannot relate to the thought process, I don't have that frame of reference.

Do I spend my time lamenting every death...no...I don't think anyone does. I don't think anyone can.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
26-09-2015, 10:35 PM (This post was last modified: 26-09-2015 11:37 PM by Thumpalumpacus.)
Of course no one can, myself included. But often the people at the rear of such a crowd have no idea of the deadly consequences, and the folks in the middle who might know what's going on are often powerless to do anything about it.

I can only imagine that being caught in a mosh like that would be horrific, no matter why you're there.
28-09-2015, 04:52 AM
(26-09-2015 09:26 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  For me what does it... ist he expression grinds my gears...

and more so legitimately when people refer to the year as a standard of, well it's this year so many years before the past so we shouldn't do cruel things like then. The reference of the year always just annoys me... so what if it's 2015 years since the year some monks between the years thought that Jesus was born in. The appeal to the year and time we use is absurd to the point of not being able to dismiss it everytime.

The whole pilgrimage part of the religious experience is a rather silly thing to hold up. Perhaps if they all felt it was more personal like those hippy religious folks it wouldn't be such a mass of people all viewing 1 spot as the most important one to travel too but they can have wonderful experiences all the same traveling to other destinations of wonder.

The statement about the year is very valid in my opinion , the human race is no different to a child, when young you will excuse many things due to inexperience, however as they grow your tolerance for such things will fade as you expect them to learn and mature.

“Were I a Roman Catholic, perhaps I should on this occasion vow to build a chapel to some saint, but as I am not, if I were to vow at all, it should be to build a light-house."
28-09-2015, 05:22 AM
(26-09-2015 02:22 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  When you ask an atheist where they get their morality from, most of the time the automatic answer is "empathy".

Wondering why that is, given the last few replies. Seems to be a scarce resource.

I have no empathy for those who wish me ill mate. Or consider me a heathen. Fuck them. The same goes for xians who follow the bible.

Thousands of years of persecution towards atheists is enough.

If some people are overcome with religious fervour, enough to trample others, how can I as an atheist empathise with them? I can only look on with contempt.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
28-09-2015, 07:19 AM
(26-09-2015 01:09 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  I would say it's tragedy but people die every day. In car crashes, from illness, hunger and in many other ways and such deaths interest no one. Also I see no reason to be concerned about what happen in Saudi Arabia.

These are conditional/accidental. Human error/corruption means these things will never be completed avoided. This bullshit on the other hand is easily avoidable.

“Were I a Roman Catholic, perhaps I should on this occasion vow to build a chapel to some saint, but as I am not, if I were to vow at all, it should be to build a light-house."
28-09-2015, 07:23 AM
(26-09-2015 06:21 PM)Losty Wrote:  Shart......what a name Blink

funniest word in the world Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes Shart's post
28-09-2015, 12:19 PM
(28-09-2015 05:22 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(26-09-2015 02:22 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  When you ask an atheist where they get their morality from, most of the time the automatic answer is "empathy".

Wondering why that is, given the last few replies. Seems to be a scarce resource.

I have no empathy for those who wish me ill mate. Or consider me a heathen. Fuck them. The same goes for xians who follow the bible.

Thousands of years of persecution towards atheists is enough.

If some people are overcome with religious fervour, enough to trample others, how can I as an atheist empathise with them? I can only look on with contempt.

We certainly disagree, then.
30-09-2015, 12:00 PM
Low transmission fluid has a tendency to grind my gears.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 2 users Like Old Man Marsh's post