07-02-2014, 11:47 PM
RE: You know what sucks?
Don't eat the yellow snow!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Colourcraze's post
08-02-2014, 08:27 PM
Power came back on this evening. Out heat and water came back with it. Some of my neighbors aren't so lucky. My one neighbor has to prime his well, which is proving to be impossible because all the hoses and lines are frozen. I've been out in the cold the past few hours trying to help him. He's now calling around trying to get some professional help.

What a pain in the ass. I think I'm investing in a propane powered backup system. They are not cheap but after dealing with this twice in 16 months, I'm ready to spend the money.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
08-02-2014, 09:15 PM
(08-02-2014 08:27 PM)BnW Wrote:  Power came back on this evening. Out heat and water came back with it. Some of my neighbors aren't so lucky. My one neighbor has to prime his well, which is proving to be impossible because all the hoses and lines are frozen. I've been out in the cold the past few hours trying to help him. He's now calling around trying to get some professional help.

What a pain in the ass. I think I'm investing in a propane powered backup system. They are not cheap but after dealing with this twice in 16 months, I'm ready to spend the money.

I've got a gasoline-powered generator, 6500W. It's not an auto cutover, but I can go outside and start it then throw the switch to cut it in, no biggie.

It has saved my bacon many times. Well worth it.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-02-2014, 09:34 PM
I'm considering the gas option too. A lot cheaper, but it has some limitations. My biggest concern is a gas shortage. After Sandy, getting gas in NJ and parts of NY was impossible. I can see that happening again.

I'm going to price it all out this spring.

08-02-2014, 10:45 PM
(08-02-2014 09:34 PM)BnW Wrote:  I'm considering the gas option too. A lot cheaper, but it has some limitations. My biggest concern is a gas shortage. After Sandy, getting gas in NJ and parts of NY was impossible. I can see that happening again.

I hear you.

I considered diesel and tri-fuel, but they were way more money.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-02-2014, 10:58 PM
(08-02-2014 08:27 PM)BnW Wrote:  Power came back on this evening. Out heat and water came back with it. Some of my neighbors aren't so lucky. My one neighbor has to prime his well, which is proving to be impossible because all the hoses and lines are frozen. I've been out in the cold the past few hours trying to help him. He's now calling around trying to get some professional help.

That was nice of you. Smile

I'm glad your power is back.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

09-02-2014, 04:12 PM
(08-02-2014 10:45 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-02-2014 09:34 PM)BnW Wrote:  I'm considering the gas option too. A lot cheaper, but it has some limitations. My biggest concern is a gas shortage. After Sandy, getting gas in NJ and parts of NY was impossible. I can see that happening again.

I hear you.

I considered diesel and tri-fuel, but they were way more money.

I had an epiphany this week. I realized I made a good living and hate being without heat and water in the winter. I figure it's going to cost like $8k or so. I need the system, the electrical work and the tank. It's not cheap but this week really sucked. You're right, there are cheaper options but I can see spending $3k on a gas system and then kicking myself for not just sucking it up and doing the propane. And, it's not like it will lower my home value.

I hate spending money. I'm not cheap, I will happily shell at extra cash to get quality, but I don't spend capriciously. Probably part of the reason when the economy blew up I didn't blue up with it it's because I hate spending and only spend when I have to.

I think this is a "have to"moment.