You know what you people should do?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-08-2013, 08:55 PM
You know what you people should do?
Rather than having a billion games that have all the same people playing and don't feel overly newbie friendly, one of you should offer to host a game that is really simple and only open to Mafia newbies.

That way you may get a whole new load of people into it who otherwise would have never joined in.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Hughsie's post
20-08-2013, 07:51 AM
RE: You know what you people should do?
Hughsie has a great idea here. If newer people could get a good base it would give the games a larger pool of players and they'd be at least proficient at the basics. That would make the games better for all. I'd sign up for one.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
20-08-2013, 08:54 AM
(20-08-2013 07:51 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  Hughsie has a great idea here. If newer people could get a good base it would give the games a larger pool of players and they'd be at least proficient at the basics. That would make the games better for all. I'd sign up for one.

Next game I am hosting is going to be simple.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 2 users Like Atothetheist's post
20-08-2013, 09:17 AM
I have been toying with an idea. It is ultra simple and the twist is that none of the roles are announced. I may give it a go after Amber finishes her game.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
20-08-2013, 09:23 AM
I suggest that, after Amber's game, someone (who is experienced in the mafia games) hosts a very simple, basic game. We put up a forum announcement on all forums promoting it and we give first refusal to new players. Any remaining places can be filled by people who've played before.

I just get the feeling at the moment that potential new players may be put off by the complex nature of the games, the fact that practically everyone else playing has played before, and the fact most of us are already friends anyway. Also, the fact that these things are only announced in the mafia section and by PMs sent to select people is very limiting.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 2 users Like Hughsie's post
20-08-2013, 09:54 AM
(20-08-2013 09:17 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  I have been toying with an idea. It is ultra simple and the twist is that none of the roles are announced. I may give it a go after Amber finishes her game.

I was doing something similar with my next game, except that I just hand people a list of the roles but not tell anyone which roles I am using.

20-08-2013, 12:22 PM
I think with noobs (like me) the roles should be posted. and they should be super simple but interesting...

The whole reason I joined Muffsy's game was because it was Sesame Street! Keep it to something that everyone knows or thinks they know about.....

...but also an awesome story behind it...(for the people who don't play to follow).

For example, you are cordially invited to spend the week at the Chateau courtesy of Mr Lionel Twain. (bonus points for anyone who gets the odd reference)

Maybe limit the number of veteran players too (who can be trusted to give the noobs a chance and advise them fairly -- like a referee to keep the game moving).

Just my thoughts.

Every year is getting shorter never seem to find the time.
Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines. Breathe; Pink Floyd

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
20-08-2013, 01:35 PM
(20-08-2013 12:22 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I think with noobs (like me) the roles should be posted. and they should be super simple but interesting...

The whole reason I joined Muffsy's game was because it was Sesame Street! Keep it to something that everyone knows or thinks they know about.....

...but also an awesome story behind it...(for the people who don't play to follow).

For example, you are cordially invited to spend the week at the Chateau courtesy of Mr Lionel Twain. (bonus points for anyone who gets the odd reference)

Maybe limit the number of veteran players too (who can be trusted to give the noobs a chance and advise them fairly -- like a referee to keep the game moving).

Just my thoughts.

I agree with the bolded! I loved the narrative that the moderator presents! That's what I tried to do with my game (and I will improve my skills with the noob game I am making.)

20-08-2013, 02:43 PM
I've got one bouncing around my noggin but it may not be suitable for n00bs? A Breaking Bad version:

[Image: image102654939188-fc-550x550-forest_zps6737b02f.jpg]

The Crystal Meth Mafia. My thoughts are to keep it simple in regards to the characters all being generic Albuquerque residents stricken by the local drug trade. I like what A2 did with the RNG factoring success rates. But percentages would be based on how much "Heisenberg Blue" you have for defensive power or, how much money you have for offensive power. Half starts with money and the other half has the blue.

Of course there could be numerous ways of factoring these side factions.

It could make the game more interesting or it's complexity could ruin it. I dunno Dodgy
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Grassy Knoll's post
20-08-2013, 03:31 PM
Yeah breaking bad would be fun.
Game of Thrones would be sick!
Star Trek would be cool.

I really want to write a PHP app to manage the whole thing and host as a beta test...

We could play so fast and so easy and have way more data available without searching and adding votes manually and if it works well I might be able to release it to the public and make a few bucks on ads.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ridethespiral's post