You'll gonna castrate me over this one.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-10-2016, 07:52 PM
You'll gonna castrate me over this one.
Thumbs up for clickbait title. Marketing 101 bitches.

So, had a thought as I often do.
Is it better for society to pay nurses and teachers poorly.

Now don't get me wrong, I firmly believe nurses and teachers should be paid more. The job they do is a rather shitty one but a very valuable one in society. BUT what if we did pay them like.. $80,000 a year? or $100,000 a year?

Firstly, it'd cost the tax payer. But I don't really see that as a strong argument.

Secondly, and much more compelling, I think more people would see it as a viable profession. "But Muffs, that's good, we always need new teachers and nurses".
Is it though? If people get into the job for the money are they going to care about patient welfare or child welfare? Are they the type of person that will give extra attention to the struggling child? Are they the type of person to care about their patients? Caring is like thee most important trait to have for a teacher or nurse. When you're a lawyer you don't need to give a shit about the person you're defending to put up a good defence, you just need to want to win.

So if we pay teachers and nurses like $30,000 a year the only people doing that shitty job for shitty pay are people that WANT to be a teacher or nurse.

Anyway, just a thought on an interesting individual v society argument I've never thought about before.

[Image: oscar.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
21-10-2016, 07:59 PM
RE: You'll gonna castrate me over this one.
You need to reward people by how well they perform their job.

In an ideal world -- teachers would receive their retirement based on how successful their students are in life.............

But, being a less than ideal world -- we simply throw lots of money around - and hope it does something good..............

And when that doesn't work - we double down and throw MORE money...........................

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
21-10-2016, 07:59 PM
My husband is a teacher. You're an idiot. A wacky, lovable idiot but an idiot nonetheless.

What you'd get are people who don't know shit about what they're teaching and aren't qualified to teach a subject. Their hearts might be in the right place but their brains are empty.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
21-10-2016, 08:00 PM
I see your grammar has improved. Hehe

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
21-10-2016, 08:05 PM
(21-10-2016 08:00 PM)Losty Wrote:  I see your grammar has improved. Hehe

Grammarly.

Quote:My husband is a teacher. You're an idiot. A wacky, lovable idiot but an idiot nonetheless.

What you'd get are people who don't know shit about what they're teaching and aren't qualified to teach a subject. Their hearts might be in the right place but their brains are empty.

What the fuck? I'm not saying we should pay them less, I'm asking would it be good for society if teachers were paid like $100k a year...
I'm not saying let anyone be a teacher, you'd still need a degree.

[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
21-10-2016, 08:22 PM
Here in the US nurses work in the private sector and teachers are paid with tax dollars. (in public schools)
Given the high cost of medical care in this country I think nurses can and should already be paid much more.
Teachers could probably be paid more through better management of tax dollars.

If the salaries were 100K for these positions, I think the people in charge of hiring would want to make sure they were getting the most bang for their buck by hiring the most qualified person for the job.
21-10-2016, 08:34 PM
Note to self: 'Muffs knows too much; he's getting too close to the Truth®. Consider We need to put him on the List. Yeah, that List.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
21-10-2016, 09:49 PM
@earmuffs

Your argument could be extanded to any jobs. If all jobs had shitty pay only those who are passionate about them would do them. Who beside a man dedicated to justice would defend a violent thug or a white colar con artist for a shit pay?

@dancefortwo

As a teacher, I would like to say to you A-fucking-men. Teachers aren't substitute parents. Sometime we turn into some, but that's usually in terrible circomstances.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 2 users Like epronovost's post
21-10-2016, 09:50 PM
(21-10-2016 07:59 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  You need to reward people by how well they perform their job.

In an ideal world -- teachers would receive their retirement based on how successful their students are in life.............

But, being a less than ideal world -- we simply throw lots of money around - and hope it does something good..............

And when that doesn't work - we double down and throw MORE money...........................

Whatever happened to sacrificing bulls?

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
22-10-2016, 12:56 AM
(21-10-2016 09:49 PM)epronovost Wrote:  @earmuffs

Your argument could be extanded to any jobs. If all jobs had shitty pay only those who are passionate about them would do them. Who beside a man dedicated to justice would defend a violent thug or a white colar con artist for a shit pay?

@dancefortwo

As a teacher, I would like to say to you A-fucking-men. Teachers aren't substitute parents. Sometime we turn into some, but that's usually in terrible circomstances.

No you can't apply it to any job.
Those with jobs on minimum wage are getting shitty pay and doing shitty jobs that I assure you they are not head over heels in love with.

It can be extended to some jobs, zoo keepers is another one that comes to mind, but certainly not 'any' job.