You'll gonna castrate me over this one.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-10-2016, 03:39 AM (This post was last modified: 22-10-2016 04:22 AM by Gloucester.)
RE: You'll gonna castrate me over this one.
Such professions have always relied on "vocation" to attract people. Works everywhere, prove yourself really competent and in love with your job and, often, you will never get a good reward or promotion - "doing the job is its own reward" seems to be the mantra.

Now, the problem of people only taking a job for the money... Would it be a solution to "weed out" the dilletantes by have a, say two year, probationary period on a "living wage" and then a substantial increase for "making the grade"?

Not sure what the current position is I admit, I would guess there is a probationary period for professional attitude and practice. Hope there is.

Otherwise I fully agree with paying nurses and teachers as much as the economy will stand. The former have, mostly, given me excellent service and the future of democracy, science and soqciety depends largely on the latter.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-10-2016, 04:20 AM
(21-10-2016 07:59 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  You need to reward people by how well they perform their job.

In an ideal world -- teachers would receive their retirement based on how successful their students are in life.............

So teachers are to be held responsible for their students intelligence?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
22-10-2016, 04:27 AM
(22-10-2016 04:20 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(21-10-2016 07:59 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  You need to reward people by how well they perform their job.

In an ideal world -- teachers would receive their retirement based on how successful their students are in life.............

Missed that before!

Yes, people should never be judged on 3rd party factors. Otherwise every individual or country selling arms or equipment that is used in criminal actions should be found as guilty as the end user.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
22-10-2016, 06:15 AM
(22-10-2016 04:20 AM)Banjo Wrote:  

IN an ideal world - yes............ (you'd have to factor in potential)

But, as I pointed out - we don't live in an ideal world.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
22-10-2016, 06:50 AM
(21-10-2016 07:52 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Now don't get me wrong, I firmly believe nurses and teachers should be paid more. The job they do is a rather shitty one but a very valuable one in society. BUT what if we did pay them like.. $80,000 a year? or $100,000 a year?

The people who actually control how much teachers get paid already have their education, or what passed for an education at least, and it's no longer a vital concern to them.

And I've read that teachers routinely spend >10% of their own salary to get materials for teaching. That makes their "take home" pay even smaller. It also tells me that they must love the job or they'd be asking me what size fries I want.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-10-2016, 06:57 AM
Many of the police officers in my town make 100+. They somehow manage to find the tax dollars and continue to ask for more, more, more and always get it. Our police force is.....they have a lot of problems (bullying, corruption, cover ups). But people blindly worship police here.

The teachers tend to average 55/65k. That actually isn't a lot for this area. The teachers I have encountered are hard-working, dedicated, and love what they do. And education dollars are typically the first on the chopping block when tax cuts come. We seriously undervalue education in this country.

I would rather pay teachers the 100k salary, hands down, no question.
22-10-2016, 07:02 AM
(22-10-2016 06:57 AM)ShadowProject Wrote:  Many of the police officers in my town make 100+. They somehow manage to find the tax dollars and continue to ask for more, more, more and always get it. Our police force is.....they have a lot of problems (bullying, corruption, cover ups). But people blindly worship police here.

The teachers tend to average 55/65k. That actually isn't a lot for this area. The teachers I have encountered are hard-working, dedicated, and love what they do. And education dollars are typically the first on the chopping block when tax cuts come. We seriously undervalue education in this country.

I would rather pay teachers the 100k salary, hands down, no question.

You want to pay teachers 100k - but you have a problem with paying that to a guy who has to carry a gun and make life or death decisions as to when to use it????

Odd priorities there....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
22-10-2016, 07:03 AM
(21-10-2016 07:52 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  [...] Is it though? If people get into the job for the money are they going to care about patient welfare or child welfare? Are they the type of person that will give extra attention to the struggling child? Are they the type of person to care about their patients?

This sort of comment is typical of the current cynicism displayed by the disenfranchised youth of our world. You seem to think you know it all, and can offer viable solutions to all our societal problems with your harebrained notions LOL. If you truly think that (say) nurses would "get into" the profession solely because of a high salary, then you know very little about human nature. And you have no idea that certain vocations—medicine, firefighting, counselling, policing etc—require an innate quality most in those professions possess, known commonly as a "calling". Like a lot of echo boomers, you reckon only you can solve the afflictions of the planet.

Quote:When you're a lawyer you don't need to give a shit about the person you're defending to put up a good defence, you just need to want to win.

Again, this absurd notion is truly laughable. Being a good lawyer has nothing at all to do with your crude concept of "winning" at any cost. Do you even know how our jurisprudential system functions? I'm guessing not.

Quote:So if we pay teachers and nurses like $30,000 a year the only people doing that shitty job for shitty pay are people that WANT to be a teacher or nurse.

I'd really suggest giving the Red Bull a rest for a few days kiddo. It's apparently playing tricks on your powers of logic [sic].

Big Grin

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
22-10-2016, 07:05 AM
Even with their supposed 'high pay', enrollment numbers in the field of education are falling, falling, falling. Perhaps because they feel overly-scrutinized in every respect? From administrators, from taxpayers, from parents. It's NOT an easy profession.

http://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2015/03/0...chers-gone
22-10-2016, 07:07 AM
(22-10-2016 06:57 AM)ShadowProject Wrote:  Many of the police officers in my town make 100+. They somehow manage to find the tax dollars and continue to ask for more, more, more and always get it. Our police force is.....they have a lot of problems (bullying, corruption, cover ups). But people blindly worship police here. [...]

Citation please. Or is this just an ill-informed guess on your part?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.