You'll gonna castrate me over this one.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-10-2016, 08:32 AM
RE: You'll gonna castrate me over this one.
When I graduated from high school my plans were to go to college to be a special education teacher with an emphasis on working with the deaf and hearing impaired. My parents decided they would not help me go to school (though everything was planned and my dorm even assigned) because a teacher would never make enough money to be worth them investing in that type of education for me.

Underpaid teachers is not a new thing. My parents weren't interested in it being something I was passionate about. They looked only at earning potential. Undecided

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-10-2016, 08:36 AM
What did you end up doing?

And no offense, but it seems if you were REALLY passionate about it you would have gone ahead and done it on your own. Or maybe you did...
22-10-2016, 08:48 AM
Couple of things. Many of you on this forum are interested in science and technology but math and science teachers are very hard to come by. There's always of shortage of high school math and science teachers because they can go into the private sector and make twice as much money with half the aggravation. Sometimes they go into the university system which is easier than teaching teenagers. (Anything is easier than teaching teenagers!)

If you want kids to learn critical thinking and dismiss religious nonsense then pay teachers more. Make sure your local schools have qualified teachers that have gone to the best schools and make sure your kids learn to respect learning, great teachers and the teaching profession.

The US is notoriously anti intellectual. It reflects who we elevate and admire and the elected officials we vote for.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
22-10-2016, 08:55 AM
(22-10-2016 07:32 AM)ImFred Wrote:  
Quote:You have my kudos.

Well, I'm quitting. It's become pointless.

I'm sorry for your troubles, Fred. The thing that keeps my husband going is that he teaches Shakespeare and acting classes and theatre tech classes. He makes if fun and the kids love it. He also teaches in a more affluent school district so this makes it tolerable. He did teach in the Los Angeles school district when he first started out and was threatened with a knife several times. It was nerve wracking.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
22-10-2016, 09:00 AM
That knife shit is crazy. I had a high school kid beat the crap out of me once. I got knocked unconscious.
22-10-2016, 09:46 AM (This post was last modified: 22-10-2016 01:00 PM by epronovost.)
I got lucky on this specific issue, I was only threatened by blunt object (twice) and once by a guy with an exacto knife. I never got injured and only got into a scrap to protect another student, never myself. In four years of career it look pretty bad, but all those incident were in the same class in the span of three months. I was substituing for a teacher who went in burn out who was himself substituing for a teacher who was on sick leave due to depression (AKA the worst kind of job you can get as a teacher). Needless to say that I was happy to there only for three months and never return.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
22-10-2016, 09:50 AM
for me it's taken too much of a toll

not the specific incidents but the extended time in the trenches
22-10-2016, 09:56 AM
really need to pay politicians a lot less then too for this strategy

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
22-10-2016, 10:10 AM
(22-10-2016 08:36 AM)ImFred Wrote:  What did you end up doing?

And no offense, but it seems if you were REALLY passionate about it you would have gone ahead and done it on your own. Or maybe you did...

Since the summer after graduation found me living in my car I did what I had to do to survive.

I was a natural at bookkeeping, as I found out my senior year of HS so that is pretty much what I have done throughout my adult life.

In 2009 I finally made it to college with the plan of becoming a sign language interpreter. Three months later I had to have a bilateral mastectomy. Recovery and resulting nerve damage hindered my ability to sign...so, I am still a bookkeeper.

And yes...I was and still am quite passionate about it.

Offense taken.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
22-10-2016, 10:12 AM
(21-10-2016 07:52 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Thumbs up for clickbait title. Marketing 101 bitches.

So, had a thought as I often do.
Is it better for society to pay nurses and teachers poorly.

Now don't get me wrong, I firmly believe nurses and teachers should be paid more. The job they do is a rather shitty one but a very valuable one in society. BUT what if we did pay them like.. $80,000 a year? or $100,000 a year?

Firstly, it'd cost the tax payer. But I don't really see that as a strong argument.

Secondly, and much more compelling, I think more people would see it as a viable profession. "But Muffs, that's good, we always need new teachers and nurses".
Is it though? If people get into the job for the money are they going to care about patient welfare or child welfare? Are they the type of person that will give extra attention to the struggling child? Are they the type of person to care about their patients? Caring is like thee most important trait to have for a teacher or nurse. When you're a lawyer you don't need to give a shit about the person you're defending to put up a good defence, you just need to want to win.

So if we pay teachers and nurses like $30,000 a year the only people doing that shitty job for shitty pay are people that WANT to be a teacher or nurse.

Anyway, just a thought on an interesting individual v society argument I've never thought about before.

I couldn’t agree more. Raising the pay of our nurses and teachers will properly compensate them for the job that they perform and more accurately represent the value of their efforts.

Also, raising the pay will enable our school boards to be more selective. When you’re only paying $30K or $40K a year for these jobs, you have to settle for the people willing to do the work. Those who are more skilled are not motivated to apply for these positions. Raising the wage makes these jobs more competitive, forcing employees with lowers skills into less critical positions.

These are really important jobs. Want your life saved? Yeah, we need skilled nurses who know what they’re doing. Want a safe and secure future? We’re going to need our kids to have the strongest foundation they can possibly have so we’re taken care of in our old age.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post