You need to stop thinking!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-02-2014, 02:50 PM
You need to stop thinking!
I was discussing verses from quran about murdering unbelievers and pagans(there are LOTS of them). And a dude showed up and started saying that when we read quran we should read it with hearts not minds and should therefore stop thinking.
And rational approach is bad.
I asked well what about these verses about killing people. And he went "Well if you ask muslim they would come up with lots of arguments for it".

Ok so first he is saying I should stop thinking and then he is saying that muslims would try to rationalize the killing.
So should we rationalize the killing or stop thinking altogether? It seems like some people are on drugs when they talk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-02-2014, 02:54 PM
RE: You need to stop thinking!
(27-02-2014 02:50 PM)donotwant Wrote:  It seems like some people are on drugs when they say shit.

There's a reason why Marx said "Religion is the opium of the people". It really is a drug that dulls the senses and inhibits thought.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 2 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post
27-02-2014, 02:55 PM
(27-02-2014 02:54 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(27-02-2014 02:50 PM)donotwant Wrote:  It seems like some people are on drugs when they say shit.

There's a reason why Marx said "Religion is the opium of the people". It really is a drug that dulls the senses and inhibits thought.

Yeah but not often do people tell me that in order to understand something I need to stop thinking.
27-02-2014, 03:04 PM
(27-02-2014 02:55 PM)donotwant Wrote:  
(27-02-2014 02:54 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  There's a reason why Marx said "Religion is the opium of the people". It really is a drug that dulls the senses and inhibits thought.

Yeah but not often do people tell me that in order to understand something I need to stop thinking.

I envy you. Either you're smart enough to not argue with theists or you've been fortunate enough to not have been subjected to that particular brand of derp before. Weeping

The argument has been made by idiots on this forum that we, as atheists, can't possibly comprehend the true meaning of the bible because we don't believe in the bible. Yeah. That makes my head hurt, too.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
27-02-2014, 03:05 PM
(27-02-2014 03:04 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(27-02-2014 02:55 PM)donotwant Wrote:  Yeah but not often do people tell me that in order to understand something I need to stop thinking.

I envy you. Either you're smart enough to not argue with theists or you've been fortunate enough to not have been subjected to that particular brand of derp before. Weeping

The argument has been made by idiots on this forum that we, as atheists, can't possibly comprehend the true meaning of the bible because we don't believe in the bible. Yeah. That makes my head hurt, too.

Well he was not addressing belief specifically. He was saying that I should not think when I read quran I should feel it. Pretty much like taking heroin before reading.
27-02-2014, 03:12 PM
It is called brainwashing.

I don't dislike you, I simply don't care.
[+] 3 users Like virtual's post
27-02-2014, 03:12 PM
(27-02-2014 03:05 PM)donotwant Wrote:  
(27-02-2014 03:04 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  I envy you. Either you're smart enough to not argue with theists or you've been fortunate enough to not have been subjected to that particular brand of derp before. Weeping

Well he was not addressing belief specifically. He was saying that I should not think when I read quran I should feel it. Pretty much like taking heroin before reading.

I didn't explain what I was saying properly, sorry. What you're talking about is pretty much what we hear here more often than we'd like. A theist will claim that in order to understand the bible, one needs to let go of rational thought and let the holy spirit fill you with it's meaning. That by using logic and reasoning, we seem to think that there are contradictions and falsifiable stories in the bible. Only once we give up our rational ways will we be able to comprehend what we're actually reading.

27-02-2014, 03:14 PM
(27-02-2014 03:12 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(27-02-2014 03:05 PM)donotwant Wrote:  Well he was not addressing belief specifically. He was saying that I should not think when I read quran I should feel it. Pretty much like taking heroin before reading.

I didn't explain what I was saying properly, sorry. What you're talking about is pretty much what we hear here more often than we'd like. A theist will claim that in order to understand the bible, one needs to let go of rational thought and let the holy spirit fill you with it's meaning. That by using logic and reasoning, we seem to think that there are contradictions and falsifiable stories in the bible. Only once we give up our rational ways will we be able to comprehend what we're actually reading.

In the same manner we should accept that 1 = 2 if we let go of our rational ways and start diving by zero Laughat
[+] 1 user Likes donotwant's post
27-02-2014, 03:32 PM
(27-02-2014 02:55 PM)donotwant Wrote:  Yeah but not often do people tell me that in order to understand something I need to stop thinking.
Really? Religion has been pulling that one for a while now. At least 2000 years ago when certain philosophers starting take a bat to the new christian faith.

"Everyone is alone. Everyone is empty. People no longer have need of others. You can always find a spare for any talent. Any relationship can be replaced. I had gotten bored of a world like that."
28-02-2014, 06:30 AM

This isn't just an Islam thing. Martin Luther is on record for saying "Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of spiritual things, but more frequently than not struggles against the divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God.".

This is often abbreviated "Reason is the greatest enemy of faith.", and pretty much gets the same point across. So, Christians and Muslims can draw a little closer to each other and realize they're both not so different, in so much as they want people to stop thinking about their faith.