You pedantic little shit!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-12-2013, 03:36 PM
You pedantic little shit!
[I was not sure where to place this, ‘casual coffeehouse’, here, 'debate with Theist' or somewhere else. The subject does fit, in a general, and specific sense. So it’s here at the moment, feel free to move it if it seems a better fit somewhere else.]

[P.S., sorry it's long...I needed to vent...]

I have a friend, who recently found a dictionary(!) and discovered a new word; ‘Pedantic’! It is now her new favorite word to use whenever in a disagreement. She’ll call me pedantic, as though simply throwing that world out ends and wins the debate. That none of my points mattered, because I’m just being pedantic. Problem is, she does not know what the fuck that word means!

To be fair to her, she does not know what most words mean. There is a lot of stuff, most things in fact, that she does not know. She opened a dictionary once, read a definition of a word along the lines of, “Characterized by a narrow, often ostentatious concern for book learning and formal rules: a pedantic attention to details.” She’s never heard it used in practice before, and only seemed to focus on the “book learning” and “attention to details” part, so she thinks this describes me. However, this is because she is an idiot, and doesn’t know most things, and could care less about the details, because details prevent you from making up your own bullshit, pulled out of your own ass. She also doesn’t know what “ostentatious” means, there for her lack of knowledge of the meaning of that word, negates her entire understanding of the correct usage of the word pedantic. Had she heard me say that, she would just think that is an example of my pedantic attention to formal details. But that’s just me actually knowing what a word is, and her demanding to be able to use words however see feels like using them. But here, I’m just being a pedantic little shit…

When you leave off the “ostentatious display of trite, formal rules, and attention to minute details” part of the word, then you are missing the whole point of the usage of the word. The rest of it is fine. I like knowledge and learning things. And I am detail oriented in that aspect, so that I can actually understand the material. I would give an example of this related to studying quantum physics, or genetic variation within a species over time, or some other “detail oriented” thing, but these conversations we have are not even on that level. She knows very little amount of stuff, so in almost every conversation we have I know quite a lot more. It seems to me, that in order to have a conversation she is happy with, I need to pretend I do not know the things I know and simply agree with whatever she says. If she ask a random question like, “If the US economy collapsed due to the government shut down, how many years would it take to recover”. I explained there are way too many variables to actually answer this question, and explained why. I was basically saying, I can’t answer this question, and here is why I cannot answer it. She got mad that I was making too difficult and just wanted me to say a number, like Five years, or something. I explained why It would be meaningless for me to simply, say a random number of years, and how that if I had said five, or three, or eighteen, I would not actually be responding to her question, but simply saying a random number. She got made, because instead of simply saying five years “like anyone else would have done” I was being a pedantic little shit…

The Mygan Kelly, Santa and being White, thing came up. We were having a conversation about that, and I pointed out that Saint Nicolas, the real person that Santa Clause is based on, was Turkish, and there for would likely have had darker, non-white features (this is not the pedantic part, by the way). She then brought up people think that Jesus was white too. (Now I want you to pause on that a moment, and notice she herself made a comment that indicates she does not think Jesus would have appeared to be “White”. Keep this in mind as you read on…) I said yeah, he would have been a Middle Eastern, Semitic, Arab, not white. She then said, “Well technically Middle Eastern people are classified as white. If you ever look at a form in which you have to fill in your ethnicity, Middle Eastern or Arab is grouped in with white”.

Now I don’t know where she got that from. For one thing I don’t spend a lot of time looking at all the ethnicity options on those forms. I just check “other” and move on. But what I do know is that that depends on whose, or what form you are filling out. They are all different, and not based on anything other than culturally agreed upon distinctions. Even if they are to mark “white” on one form, that doesn’t mean they would on others. And what it says on forms is still not what we are talking about! You and I, and everyone else generally knows what we mean when we say “white”, and what we mean when we say “Middle Eastern”. There are huge gray areas everywhere, and you can get pedantic about how you define it. But outside of those gray areas, in a more general sense, we do know what we are colloquially talking about, when we say these things.

The funny thing is, I was being called pedantic, for generalizing more (less attention to detail), yet she was being way overly, and unnecessary, technical and detail oriented, basing her opinion of what “White” is off of application forms (of all things) rather than generally understood colloquialisms, as I was.…. But she calls me pedantic for that... I pointed out to her that what she was doing actually makes her the pedantic one. I’m being general and less detailed, and she is delving in to extreme minutia of technical details of application forms to describe what is “technically” considered “White”? But she gets mad at me for making things so complicated. I point out that she is the one making a simple term, that when used generally is understood, but she wants me to be wrong for some reason, so she gets all “technical”, but I’m the pedantic little shit?

A couple of days ago, I made a reference to Lennie, from “Of Mice and Men”. She doesn’t know stuff, so when I make references, I usually end up having to explain them to her. I don’t know why I bother making references to things to her, it’s always a waste. So I explained that Lennie, this big developmentally disabled adult didn’t know his own strengthen and accidentally pets puppies to death, because he can’t tell he’s doing it, due to his mental deficiency. And that one time(spoiler alert!!!) he was hugging a girl and ended up squeezing her to death, but he didn’t know what he was doing because he’s developmentally disabled. Then they had to run and hide so as not to get killed for murdering that girl.

She’s been studying law, and has a very myopic view of the application of law in society. Basically she thinks, if it’s the law, then it happens perfectly according to the law every time. I do know she doesn’t really think this, based on other conversations we’ve had, but whenever it’s a conversation with me she gets all technical and ridged about it. She said, in response Lennie running and hiding, “NO, that would not happen, because of the ‘blah, blah, blah, whatever case, of nineteen o’ whatever’, which states a person cannot be held responsible for an action they are incapable of knowing that they are doing. (pedantic?) They didn’t need to run and hide. Lennie couldn’t be found guilty of murder because of the law. They wouldn’t have killed him”.

I just looked at her like she was an idiot. I explained to her that this was a novel, written based on people living in the 1920’s. She responded that the law existed back then and still would have applied. I again looked at her like she was an idiot and told her, this is a novel, not real people, perhaps I should go back in time and inform the great author John Steinbach he got a crucial detail in his novel wrong. She said, “Oh, I didn’t know this was not a story about real people, but still that law would have been in existence back then so they wouldn’t have had anything to worry about”. (Okay, so now you realize it’s a fictitious novel, but you are still being overly technical and ostentations with your knowledge of the law, in a situation in which it simply does not apply. That’s the definition of pedantic!)

I reminded her that this was set in the 1920s, or 30s at the latest. People weren’t so enlightened back then about mental, or developmental disorders, autism, or downsyndrome. It doesn’t matter what laws were in place, it’s up to the people of the time to understand them and then to live up to them themselves. And to understand developmental disability, and not murder a large full grown man who they know just killed a girl. This was the 20s, not today, people were different. Again, she sees this as me just being difficult with her, pedantic in my detail about what these people would have actually done, if the story were real. But once again, I’m the pedantic little shit…

We had this other whole argument about whether or not Catholics and Mormons are Christians. It came up because she was trying to figure out what denomination a particular religious affiliated organization was. Based on what she was saying about them, I brought up Catholics as who the group might have been. He said, “No, I’m obviously not talking about Catholics, because I said they are a Christian organization”!

I said, “Yeah, Catholics are Christians”. That started a whole argument in which she created her own definition of a Christians as being only people who when asked what religion they are will more likely say they are Christian, before they say their denomination. Catholics are more inclined to say they are Catholic, she would say, before saying they are Christians. This turned into a whole to do, and she got slam the door pissed that I was “being difficult”, and not accepting what “we all know” whom Christian refers to. Which excludes Catholics, and Mormons, and she thought I was being “pedantic” by “redefining” what a Christian is in order to include these two groups as Christian. She made up her own overly, (can’t even really say) technical, definition, to the point of minutia, that only she can understand, and I’m more comparatively way more general, applying Christianity, to all Christian groups, but I’m the pedantic little shit…

This is me being “pedantic”. She asked how solar flares could cause earthquakes. Too much “pedantic” detail to go into here, but suffice to say, she read, on a (end-times) website, that solar flares can interacted with earth’s magnetic field, causing earthquakes. The sites idea being that a giant solar flare can leave a black sunspot “darkening” 1/3 of the sun, as it says in the Book of Revelation, and cause massive earthquakes, as happens in Revelation as well, thus fulfilling biblical prophecy. I “pedantically” with my book learn’n, and attention to detail, explain the physics of why this is impossible and makes no fucking sense of any kind. She continued to argue minutia of detail that had nothing to do with anything, and I kept explaining to her why she was wrong, because of, you know, facts, and information, and evidence, facts, and facts, and what not. But I “just don’t get it” and am being “overly technical” …that just makes me a pedantic little shit…

I think she just thinks pedantic means, anything that disagrees with her own version or reality and can actually explain, why.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-12-2013, 04:12 PM
RE: You pedantic little shit!
Is this person just a friend?

Is it wrong she scares me a little?

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
13-12-2013, 04:15 PM
Is she pronouncing it correctly at least? Pedantic, instead of pendantic? If she's pronouncing it wrong, I feel really really sorry for you. Sad

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 4 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post
13-12-2013, 04:21 PM
Jesusfuck Raptor, where are you finding these chicks? Confused Are you like... trolling fundamentalist churches, or something?

Sorry... I'm only halfway through this... I just had to get that out. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 8 users Like kim's post
13-12-2013, 04:42 PM
(13-12-2013 03:36 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  She’s been studying law, ...

Undecided

(13-12-2013 03:36 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  ...*... her own definition of a Christians as being only people who when asked what religion they are will more likely say they are Christian, before they say their denomination. Catholics are more inclined to say they are Catholic ...*... before saying they are Christians.

Well, we learn something new about ourselves every day.
Look at me; I didn't think I supported euthanasia. Until now. Shy There are people that need to be killed. Who knew?

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
13-12-2013, 06:04 PM
I know right! No, I'm not trolling fundie churches for women, I promise. I have written about a few different girls I know who are like this. It just happens to be that the fundies I deal with the most are girls, so it sounds like I'm writing about either one really crazy girl, or millions of crazy girls.

This particular one is actually a co-worker. She drives me nuts, because she's always accusing me of doing the very EXACT THING that she is actually doing! She's one of those people who fight with you all the time, and then get mad at you because you two always end up in fights. And, I'm like, "It's not me, it's you" but she's convince it's just me. And I'm like, "that's because you are an idiot and you don't know anything"(in my head I say that, because I don't want to be mean).

She thinks I'm a know it all. But I'm only a know it all in relation, or comparison to someone who doesn't know anything. This is a girl who, I shit you not, does not know who Tom Cruz is. She argued with me about corn once! I shit you not, EFFING CORN! Stormed out of the room slamming doors and everything, and then blamed me for being a pedantic little shit, except she hadn’t looked that word up in the dictionary yet so she didn't actually say the word pedantic.

I'm convince she thinks it's just me because I refuse to say the sky is green, when it's actually blue (thought to be pedantic, it's actually clear, but only seems blue due to the reighley scattering effect...<---That was pedantic of me). She seems to have surrounded herself in life by people, whom are either too ill-informed to know when she's full of shit, or when she argues with them, they just back down because they don't want to deal with it. I don’t back down, but instead of her realizing it’s all coming from her, because I don’t back down, she takes it as my attacking her.

I shit you not, our first argument was over corn of all fucking things, and I didn’t even know we were fighting at the time. I thought we were just having a conversation, until she raised her voice, stormed out, slamming the door. Other than that she can at times be quite pleasant…Unsure

13-12-2013, 06:33 PM
(13-12-2013 06:04 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  I know right! No, I'm not trolling fundie churches for women, I promise. I have written about a few different girls I know who are like this. It just happens to be that the fundies I deal with the most are girls, so it sounds like I'm writing about either one really crazy girl, or millions of crazy girls.

This particular one is actually a co-worker. She drives me nuts, because she's always accusing me of doing the very EXACT THING that she is actually doing! She's one of those people who fight with you all the time, and then get mad at you because you two always end up in fights. And, I'm like, "It's not me, it's you" but she's convince it's just me. And I'm like, "that's because you are an idiot and you don't know anything"(in my head I say that, because I don't want to be mean).

She thinks I'm a know it all. But I'm only a know it all in relation, or comparison to someone who doesn't know anything. This is a girl who, I shit you not, does not know who Tom Cruz is. She argued with me about corn once! I shit you not, EFFING CORN! Stormed out of the room slamming doors and everything, and then blamed me for being a pedantic little shit, except she hadn’t looked that word up in the dictionary yet so she didn't actually say the word pedantic.

I'm convince she thinks it's just me because I refuse to say the sky is green, when it's actually blue (thought to be pedantic, it's actually clear, but only seems blue due to the reighley scattering effect...<---That was pedantic of me). She seems to have surrounded herself in life by people, whom are either too ill-informed to know when she's full of shit, or when she argues with them, they just back down because they don't want to deal with it. I don’t back down, but instead of her realizing it’s all coming from her, because I don’t back down, she takes it as my attacking her.

I shit you not, our first argument was over corn of all fucking things, and I didn’t even know we were fighting at the time. I thought we were just having a conversation, until she raised her voice, stormed out, slamming the door. Other than that she can at times be quite pleasant…Unsure

What was her view of corn? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
13-12-2013, 06:41 PM
(13-12-2013 03:36 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  [I was not sure where to place this, ‘casual coffeehouse’, here, 'debate with Theist' or somewhere else. The subject does fit, in a general, and specific sense. So it’s here at the moment, feel free to move it if it seems a better fit somewhere else.]

[P.S., sorry it's long...I needed to vent...]

I have a friend, who recently found a dictionary(!) and discovered a new word; ‘Pedantic’! It is now her new favorite word to use whenever in a disagreement. She’ll call me pedantic, as though simply throwing that world out ends and wins the debate. That none of my points mattered, because I’m just being pedantic. Problem is, she does not know what the fuck that word means!

To be fair to her, she does not know what most words mean. There is a lot of stuff, most things in fact, that she does not know. She opened a dictionary once, read a definition of a word along the lines of, “Characterized by a narrow, often ostentatious concern for book learning and formal rules: a pedantic attention to details.” She’s never heard it used in practice before, and only seemed to focus on the “book learning” and “attention to details” part, so she thinks this describes me. However, this is because she is an idiot, and doesn’t know most things, and could care less about the details, because details prevent you from making up your own bullshit, pulled out of your own ass. She also doesn’t know what “ostentatious” means, there for her lack of knowledge of the meaning of that word, negates her entire understanding of the correct usage of the word pedantic. Had she heard me say that, she would just think that is an example of my pedantic attention to formal details. But that’s just me actually knowing what a word is, and her demanding to be able to use words however see feels like using them. But here, I’m just being a pedantic little shit…

When you leave off the “ostentatious display of trite, formal rules, and attention to minute details” part of the word, then you are missing the whole point of the usage of the word. The rest of it is fine. I like knowledge and learning things. And I am detail oriented in that aspect, so that I can actually understand the material. I would give an example of this related to studying quantum physics, or genetic variation within a species over time, or some other “detail oriented” thing, but these conversations we have are not even on that level. She knows very little amount of stuff, so in almost every conversation we have I know quite a lot more. It seems to me, that in order to have a conversation she is happy with, I need to pretend I do not know the things I know and simply agree with whatever she says. If she ask a random question like, “If the US economy collapsed due to the government shut down, how many years would it take to recover”. I explained there are way too many variables to actually answer this question, and explained why. I was basically saying, I can’t answer this question, and here is why I cannot answer it. She got mad that I was making too difficult and just wanted me to say a number, like Five years, or something. I explained why It would be meaningless for me to simply, say a random number of years, and how that if I had said five, or three, or eighteen, I would not actually be responding to her question, but simply saying a random number. She got made, because instead of simply saying five years “like anyone else would have done” I was being a pedantic little shit…

The Mygan Kelly, Santa and being White, thing came up. We were having a conversation about that, and I pointed out that Saint Nicolas, the real person that Santa Clause is based on, was Turkish, and there for would likely have had darker, non-white features (this is not the pedantic part, by the way). She then brought up people think that Jesus was white too. (Now I want you to pause on that a moment, and notice she herself made a comment that indicates she does not think Jesus would have appeared to be “White”. Keep this in mind as you read on…) I said yeah, he would have been a Middle Eastern, Semitic, Arab, not white. She then said, “Well technically Middle Eastern people are classified as white. If you ever look at a form in which you have to fill in your ethnicity, Middle Eastern or Arab is grouped in with white”.

Now I don’t know where she got that from. For one thing I don’t spend a lot of time looking at all the ethnicity options on those forms. I just check “other” and move on. But what I do know is that that depends on whose, or what form you are filling out. They are all different, and not based on anything other than culturally agreed upon distinctions. Even if they are to mark “white” on one form, that doesn’t mean they would on others. And what it says on forms is still not what we are talking about! You and I, and everyone else generally knows what we mean when we say “white”, and what we mean when we say “Middle Eastern”. There are huge gray areas everywhere, and you can get pedantic about how you define it. But outside of those gray areas, in a more general sense, we do know what we are colloquially talking about, when we say these things.

The funny thing is, I was being called pedantic, for generalizing more (less attention to detail), yet she was being way overly, and unnecessary, technical and detail oriented, basing her opinion of what “White” is off of application forms (of all things) rather than generally understood colloquialisms, as I was.…. But she calls me pedantic for that... I pointed out to her that what she was doing actually makes her the pedantic one. I’m being general and less detailed, and she is delving in to extreme minutia of technical details of application forms to describe what is “technically” considered “White”? But she gets mad at me for making things so complicated. I point out that she is the one making a simple term, that when used generally is understood, but she wants me to be wrong for some reason, so she gets all “technical”, but I’m the pedantic little shit?

A couple of days ago, I made a reference to Lennie, from “Of Mice and Men”. She doesn’t know stuff, so when I make references, I usually end up having to explain them to her. I don’t know why I bother making references to things to her, it’s always a waste. So I explained that Lennie, this big developmentally disabled adult didn’t know his own strengthen and accidentally pets puppies to death, because he can’t tell he’s doing it, due to his mental deficiency. And that one time(spoiler alert!!!) he was hugging a girl and ended up squeezing her to death, but he didn’t know what he was doing because he’s developmentally disabled. Then they had to run and hide so as not to get killed for murdering that girl.

She’s been studying law, and has a very myopic view of the application of law in society. Basically she thinks, if it’s the law, then it happens perfectly according to the law every time. I do know she doesn’t really think this, based on other conversations we’ve had, but whenever it’s a conversation with me she gets all technical and ridged about it. She said, in response Lennie running and hiding, “NO, that would not happen, because of the ‘blah, blah, blah, whatever case, of nineteen o’ whatever’, which states a person cannot be held responsible for an action they are incapable of knowing that they are doing. (pedantic?) They didn’t need to run and hide. Lennie couldn’t be found guilty of murder because of the law. They wouldn’t have killed him”.

I just looked at her like she was an idiot. I explained to her that this was a novel, written based on people living in the 1920’s. She responded that the law existed back then and still would have applied. I again looked at her like she was an idiot and told her, this is a novel, not real people, perhaps I should go back in time and inform the great author John Steinbach he got a crucial detail in his novel wrong. She said, “Oh, I didn’t know this was not a story about real people, but still that law would have been in existence back then so they wouldn’t have had anything to worry about”. (Okay, so now you realize it’s a fictitious novel, but you are still being overly technical and ostentations with your knowledge of the law, in a situation in which it simply does not apply. That’s the definition of pedantic!)

I reminded her that this was set in the 1920s, or 30s at the latest. People weren’t so enlightened back then about mental, or developmental disorders, autism, or downsyndrome. It doesn’t matter what laws were in place, it’s up to the people of the time to understand them and then to live up to them themselves. And to understand developmental disability, and not murder a large full grown man who they know just killed a girl. This was the 20s, not today, people were different. Again, she sees this as me just being difficult with her, pedantic in my detail about what these people would have actually done, if the story were real. But once again, I’m the pedantic little shit…

We had this other whole argument about whether or not Catholics and Mormons are Christians. It came up because she was trying to figure out what denomination a particular religious affiliated organization was. Based on what she was saying about them, I brought up Catholics as who the group might have been. He said, “No, I’m obviously not talking about Catholics, because I said they are a Christian organization”!

I said, “Yeah, Catholics are Christians”. That started a whole argument in which she created her own definition of a Christians as being only people who when asked what religion they are will more likely say they are Christian, before they say their denomination. Catholics are more inclined to say they are Catholic, she would say, before saying they are Christians. This turned into a whole to do, and she got slam the door pissed that I was “being difficult”, and not accepting what “we all know” whom Christian refers to. Which excludes Catholics, and Mormons, and she thought I was being “pedantic” by “redefining” what a Christian is in order to include these two groups as Christian. She made up her own overly, (can’t even really say) technical, definition, to the point of minutia, that only she can understand, and I’m more comparatively way more general, applying Christianity, to all Christian groups, but I’m the pedantic little shit…

This is me being “pedantic”. She asked how solar flares could cause earthquakes. Too much “pedantic” detail to go into here, but suffice to say, she read, on a (end-times) website, that solar flares can interacted with earth’s magnetic field, causing earthquakes. The sites idea being that a giant solar flare can leave a black sunspot “darkening” 1/3 of the sun, as it says in the Book of Revelation, and cause massive earthquakes, as happens in Revelation as well, thus fulfilling biblical prophecy. I “pedantically” with my book learn’n, and attention to detail, explain the physics of why this is impossible and makes no fucking sense of any kind. She continued to argue minutia of detail that had nothing to do with anything, and I kept explaining to her why she was wrong, because of, you know, facts, and information, and evidence, facts, and facts, and what not. But I “just don’t get it” and am being “overly technical” …that just makes me a pedantic little shit…

I think she just thinks pedantic means, anything that disagrees with her own version or reality and can actually explain, why.

Re: the final example.
I think you should be informing her that the universe is overly technical. Technicality is necessary for explanation; it's simply too complex to explain simply.

Also, if it makes you feel any better I am often accused of using 'big words' and 'being unnecessarily technical' by my family when I try to explain something scientific to them. My usual rebuttal is that for a person who paid attention in preliminary science classes, my langue use is basic. but they still deny it. If I had a scientific dictionary of sorts, I'd give one to each of them so they can do some learning and understand the basic language.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
14-12-2013, 03:35 PM
(13-12-2013 06:41 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  My usual rebuttal is that for a person who paid attention in preliminary science classes, my langue use is basic.

Ha! I also respond to, "How do you know that?" with "Uh, I paid attention in science* class?" *or whatever class the corresponding information pertains to.

In a managers meeting, I once asked, "Will we be getting some kind of primer for this?" and the room went deathly silent.

Finally, a manager said with the shittiest look on her face, "Well, who would know Kim? What's a primer?"
Sadcryface

They let people like this run stuff. Weeping

[+] 4 users Like kim's post
14-12-2013, 04:37 PM
Pedantic people can't turn shit concepts into sugar plums, no matter how hard they try....No