You pedantic little shit!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-12-2013, 05:05 PM
RE: You pedantic little shit!
tldr

Just kidding!

My question to you is why do you classify this person as a friend?

Onward, my faithful steed!
[Image: ezgif-save_zps4d93a674.gif?t=1395781443]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Crulax's post
14-12-2013, 05:45 PM
(13-12-2013 06:33 PM)Chas Wrote:  What was her view of corn? Consider

So you want “The Corn Story”, huh?

It’s actually not that big a deal, which is exactly what makes it all the more bizarre that she lost her shit over it.

So I decided to break this up into two segments, because the detailed version I wrote is long. If you don’t what to read what is in the following reply, I don’t blame you, but this reply will give you the general synopsis. The basic outline is this.

It was about who originally used the word “maze” to refer to what we now call corn in English. The Native American’s who domesticated the plant in the Americas, and cultivated it for centuries, or the Spanish who arrived later to a land where people already were growing the crop, and already had a name for it. She asserted that “maze” is a Spanish word, first and for most, and I argued (correctly) that it was an indigenous Native American word, that at best the Spanish might have pronounced slightly differently, but took from the Native American word for the crop.

She made an assertion, that I knew was incorrect. I told her why. To which she took offence that I didn’t simply accept the (incorrect) thing she said as true. So she doubled down on, by adding more (incorrect) assertions, that additionally incorporated poor logic, in order to buttress her original assertion. I explained how, and why I knew the assertion was incorrect. She then tried to make out as though I was personal attacking her, herself. To settle it, and demonstrate that I was not attacking her, and that I was only referencing the (incorrect) assertion that she made, I gave her direct evidence, that came from a neutral source, that what I was saying was correct. At this she raised her voice, doubled down on the claim of personal attack in attempt to distract for the evidence, and appealed to her “emotional distress” as proof of her being attacked, then stated I was hardheaded and can’t let things go, then stormed out, slamming the door behind her, and upon returning giving the silent treatment. Later, in the future, she would continue to use this as an example of MY being difficult to deal with.

…it was about corn, I cannot emphasize this more…

Feel free not to read the following post, it's long, but if you want, I've made it available in detail. I will not be hurt if you simply right "tl;dr", I'd understand...

14-12-2013, 05:46 PM
That’s the outline, now this is the conversation. We were discussing our past college courses. I mentioned how funny it was that my Anthropology professors, switched back and forth between calling corn, maze or corn, depending on whether they were discussing it in regard to Native Americans or non-Native Americans, respectively. Kind of like the gag about TV News casters hyper-accenting words in Spanish, when reporting on something in a Central, or South American country, but not otherwise.

She said that that was stupid, because maze is a Spanish word anyway. To clarify, she said this in a way as to state that it is a Spanish word, not Native American, which is why she thought it was stupid that my Anthropology professors would use it in reference to Native Americans. She missed my point. (I just want to point out, this right here, at this point is the point at which the only thing she would have expected was me to either agreeing with her, or simply saying nothing. Anything other than this she would take as PERSONAL attack on her. I only knew her about a month and a half at this point, so I had yet to learn this about her.) I briefly, naively, attempted to clear up her confusion, explaining that it IS actually a Native American word. She gets noticeably annoyed and defends that it is a Spanish word. To make clear to her that I’m not saying she’s wrong that it is a Spanish word for corn, I agree with her, but explain that it’s a Native American word that the Spanish use. (I thought I handled that well. Was nice about it, found a way to avoid saying she was wrong, and even found a way to say I agreed with her, so that she could save face. It will not be good enough.)

This is where she began to get more animated, and doubles down that it IS a Spanish word, claiming that the Spanish language does not borrow words form other languages, unlike English. They have their own words for things that are derived independently. (I don’t have room to convey this, so you just have to trust me that the way she said this was as though she was spitting on the shitty, mongrel English language. I think I’m a pretty astute reader of what is being said in the negative space between things, and catch things others tend to miss, and I’ll tell you, what she was really doing here, by shitting on the English language for so freely adopting foreign words, was to attempt to gain credibility for her “knowledge” of languages as a whole, and to preserve the vestal nature of Spanish…by the way, she knows no Spanish, FYI. That is important to keep in mind.)

She briefly channels a shitty linguist, as she suddenly becomes a PhD in the Spanish language, and attempts to school me on how Spanish language is structured, and crafted. I can speak to this as I can clearly pick out where she is full of shit, but I, unlike her, have no problem admitting I’m not a PhD in Spanish linguistics, and have a simpler proof anyway, without getting bogged down in the mire of a debate about linguistics and Spanish. I simply pointed out that corn/maze is indigenous to the peoples of the Americas, and not outside of it, and not to Spain per this particular conversation. To suggest that maze is organically a Spanish word uninfected by outside sources, would be to also suggest that either the Spanish already had a word for a plant that they did not know existed, that happened to be the same name as the name for the plant the Native Americans already had (we can dismiss this out of hand). Or, the Spanish came up with their own word for this new to them plant upon learning of it, rather than simply calling it what the people they meet called it, not use the word the Native Americans used, and eventually all the Native Americans abandoned whatever original word that they had used for it for centuries, to adopt the newly made up Spanish word for the plant, despite them knowing what they culturally called the plant for centuries.

Now I thought I made a pretty irrefutable, logic bound point. More to the point, what would be the point of arguing it further with me at this point. She already knows I majored in Anthropology. Native American culture is fucking Anthropology. This is my forte. I’m not being argumentative to be argumentative. I actually know what I’m talking about, and I just demonstrated it quite simply. There really is no need to go on at this point. At this point I am still speaking calmly, because were aren’t arguing…are we(?)…she is getting a little animated, but some people get animated when they talk, and I’ve only known her a short while, so I don’t know that she doesn’t. Plus, what reason could I possibly have to believe this is an escalating conversation. We are only talking about corn for fuck sake. There is no way, any rational person could possibly be getting irate over, Native American’s verse Spaniards calling corn maze. It has not even entered my mind that this could even possibly be anything other than two people in a room having a simple conversations……………holy shit was I wrong…

She begins sort of back tracking, and doubling down on her statement at the same time. It’s the kind of thing you often experience when you back someone into a corner on shitty logic, and they have no way out, so they just keep talking, hoping eventually they will find their way, or the right words will just happen to come out to trip you up. She’s now explaining how Spanish doesn’t take new words from other cultures, but is also explaining how Spanish takes words from other cultures and makes them their own, but how that’s is them having their own word for it, not adopting a foreign word. It makes not sense, I can’t make sense of it for you.
It’s just what was being said. She, obviously stuck, starts starts raising her voice, becoming irate, and attempts to distract from the logic of the conversation, to turn on me being unreasonable and trying to put words in her mouth, and claim I’m saying she’s saying things that she’s not. I remind her of what she literally just said at the start of the conversation, that Maze is a Spanish word, not a Native American, which she now adamantly claims she never said. She claims I’m now using red herrings and stawmen because I’m loosing the argument, now is practically yelling and getting emotional, claiming that I can’t let it just go, and that I just have to be right and will twist everything she says just to win the argument. She says a lot of shitty things, storms out and slams the door.

Well she is right in one part at least. I am not going to let it end like that. I send her a link to a site about the history of the cultivation of Native American Maze, in which it describes the Spaniards attempt to record the name the Native Americans used for it, which ended up being spelled maíz. When she got this email she got PISSED, told me off, claimed I could never let things go, and I just always have to be right, blah, blah, blah, blah… and stormed off again.

At this point it thought, well if she gets this animated, irrational, and irate simply about corn, I hope we don’t have drastically differing views on religion…(foreshadowing!)

[+] 1 user Likes Raptor Jesus's post
14-12-2013, 05:49 PM
She is a "right fighter". She has to be right, she'll fight for it every time.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
14-12-2013, 05:59 PM
(14-12-2013 05:05 PM)Crulax Wrote:  tldr

Just kidding!

My question to you is why do you classify this person as a friend?

Because, maybe 90% of the time she is fine, and in that 90% there is a friend there. But that 10% is out of fucking control. I might even be being generous by saying 90%, but that's because I'm a nice guy, and try to see the best in people.

I was thinking about this earlier today, when I was watching "American Psycho" (highly recommend you watch it, if you haven't already). There is a part where someone says, in reference to a Jewish person, something about someone spinning a menorah. The main character simply says, it's a dreidel. Jewish people spin dreidels, not menorahs. And that was it.

I thought about that, and if she had said the same thing, nine times out of ten, she would have simply said, "oh", or "that's what I meant" or whatever, but would not have been a big deal. But that one time...who knows why...she would take offence, act as thought she's being personally attacked, start either insisting that she is right and I am wrong, leading to an unnecessary fight, about something as simple as a dreidel, or call me pedantic, and claim I know what she meant, and always have to be difficult and right about everything.

But I never have a clue when she's going to react that way...and I know what you might be thinking, but it's too random, and too continuous to be "that".

14-12-2013, 06:19 PM
It's hilarious that she says that spanish doesn't take words from other languages or that when they do the change it to make it their own. As a native spanish speaker I can say to that:
[Image: bullshit_everywhere-e1345505471862.jpeg]

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
[+] 1 user Likes djkamilo's post
14-12-2013, 06:20 PM
(14-12-2013 05:49 PM)Dom Wrote:  She is a "right fighter". She has to be right, she'll fight for it every time.

Even about nothing, which is what I don't get. But the single most annoying thing about that is, that she claims that about me. The very thing that she herself is actually doing, is exactly what she claims about me.

The difference between us is that I actually know I'm right. Unlike her, I don't need to be right, but when I am I know I am and I'm not going to pretend I'm wrong so that we don't fight. In fact if I am wrong, I want to know, so that I can be less wrong, and that's the difference between us. I want truth, she wants to be right at all cost. I think she is use to bullying her way to get people to cave, and is not use to someone not caving in, so it pisses her off because she's doesn't understand it, and thinks it's just me being a pedantic little shit.

Also I think it's that thing where they don't know enough, to know, what they don't know. Meaning, in this case, she thinks we are both equally wrong or right, and it's just about who can win the argument. But these arguments are only ever about things I refuse to back down on not because I think I'm right, but because I know I am right. If I don't know for sure that I am right I wont argue a point I don't know for sure to be true. But she will. So it's only ever when, I know that, I am right that I hold my ground, so the only time we end up in a fight, is when I am actually right, or else if I'm wrong or unsure we don't end up in a fight at all. So the that is why she thinks I always have to be right. But that's just because whenever we fight, I always am right, or else we wouldn't be fighting, because I wouldn't be holding my ground otherwise.

But she doesn't get that, she just thinks I'm doing the same thing she is, that she thinks she's right and I "think" I'm right, and we are arguing opinion, but we are not, we are arguing known things, facts, and she does not know them.

14-12-2013, 06:24 PM
(14-12-2013 06:19 PM)djkamilo Wrote:  It's hilarious that she says that spanish doesn't take words from other languages or that when they do the change it to make it their own. As a native spanish speaker I can say to that:
[Image: bullshit_everywhere-e1345505471862.jpeg]

Yeah, there was a lot more to that argument, but I don't have time to fit it all in there. But I did point out that it is a Romance Language, based on Latin, and how new words are developed in general.

When she started to get that she was failing her argument, she just started saying gibberish, and got angry, because that's how you win arguments. Whoever is louder and the most "hurt" or "offended" wins.

14-12-2013, 06:26 PM
(14-12-2013 05:49 PM)Dom Wrote:  She is a "right fighter". She has to be right, she'll fight for it every time.

Sure glad we don't have any of those here. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
14-12-2013, 07:04 PM (This post was last modified: 14-12-2013 07:38 PM by Raptor Jesus.)
(13-12-2013 04:42 PM)kim Wrote:  
(13-12-2013 03:36 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  She’s been studying law, ...

Undecided

(13-12-2013 06:41 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Also, if it makes you feel any better I am often accused of using 'big words' and 'being unnecessarily technical' by my family when I try to explain something scientific to them. My usual rebuttal is that for a person who paid attention in preliminary science classes, my langue use is basic. but they still deny it. If I had a scientific dictionary of sorts, I'd give one to each of them so they can do some learning and understand the basic language.

I put these two quotes together because they are fitting. One time she met a friend of mine who is a currently practicing lawyer. Afterwards she bitched about how annoying my friend was for using unnecessarily ostentatious (my word, no her's. remember, she does not know that word) words, and legalese, insinuating that she was unnecessarily showing off.

I said, "No, I don't remember her saying any unusual words at all". It was all a very normal conversation to me, and in addition to that, I don't even remember her using any "legalese" at all. I thought, if she couldn't even follow what my other friend was saying, than she'll be in trouble as a lawyer, because it was one hundred percent average, every day vocab.

...again, she got mad that I disagreed with her...

[+] 1 user Likes Raptor Jesus's post