You're Religious About Your Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-08-2014, 10:32 AM
You're Religious About Your Atheism
That is what my friend and co-worker said to me yesterday. He also is an atheist.

I'm curious what others would say in response to this.

My friend is not a very good skeptic, and prior to him saying to me that I am religious about atheism we just had a long conversation about the benefits of skeptical inquiry and suspended belief till accurate evidence is provided (Ancient Aliens, Astrology, the moon having an affect on us...). Obviously I was pro belief suspension and he was clearly primed to believe outrageous claims and conspiracy theories.

He elaborated: "Well you read books, listen to podcasts, and want to group up with other atheists. I just think it's funny how you seem so religious about it"

I said to him that you could say that about anything: I read books on money, listen to podcasts about finances, and like gathering with like minded people to discuss trends. it is no different than saying I have a hobby that I like to engaging in. Interchangeable with fitness, nutrition, or school.

Even though I felt like this was a substantial answer showing the error with his reasoning, he continued to just say "well I just think it's funny is all"...

How would you respond? I am curious when I next encounter a comment like this.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes SkepticJar's post
22-08-2014, 10:56 AM
RE: You're Religious About Your Atheism
I would respond much the same as you did pointing out finances.

I've never understood someone mistaking a passion for something (be it lord of the rings, Harry potter, a genre of music or books) as being religious

It could also be a signal to look for other topics to discuss with him.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 6 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
22-08-2014, 10:57 AM
I think it's funny too Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
22-08-2014, 11:10 AM (This post was last modified: 22-08-2014 11:57 AM by Impulse.)
I think you hit the main point with your response about finances. Those behaviors are done about things that interest you, not specifically about religion. If he wants to claim that you're "religious" about your atheism, then he needs to identify behaviors that are specific to religion and prove that those are what you do regarding atheism.

Edit:
You might also tell him that you are active, not religious, about your atheism.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
22-08-2014, 06:46 PM
Internet atheism is pretty much a religion.

Truth seeker.
[+] 1 user Likes diddo97's post
22-08-2014, 06:49 PM
I think it is interesting that religious people assert that atheism (or evolution or science) are either religious concepts or that they can be used as religious concepts. I wonder why they think this or want to think this? Because at face value, they seem to be admitting that religions are either irrational or inherently weak positions when compared to non-religious (secular) positions. It seems to be based primarily on their own insecurity about their beliefs.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
22-08-2014, 06:55 PM
(22-08-2014 06:46 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  Internet atheism is pretty much a religion.

Hmm, kind of doesn't make sense to say that someone who doesn't believe in gods has a religion, don't you think? Every religion I ever heard of has some sort of supernatural being...

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
22-08-2014, 09:25 PM
I would be tempted to slap him upside the head. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-08-2014, 11:06 PM
(22-08-2014 06:55 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(22-08-2014 06:46 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  Internet atheism is pretty much a religion.

Hmm, kind of doesn't make sense to say that someone who doesn't believe in gods has a religion, don't you think? Every religion I ever heard of has some sort of supernatural being...

Actually you are both wrong. Sorry Dom.

Religion and atheism are not mutually exclusive.
Google atheistic religions.

Not all believers of gods are religious. Theism and religion are not the same thing. Just ask a deist.

Then to make things REAL interesting, you could include gnosticism/agnosticism into the conversation.

Atheism and agnosticism are, like religion above, not mutually exclusive.

It is possible to be an agnostic religious atheist, for example. Weird, right? Boom goes most theists minds.Evil_monster
[+] 1 user Likes RogueWarrior's post
22-08-2014, 11:10 PM

oh no, not you.

OP, I think you handled things pretty well. Welcome to the forum.

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.