You're Religious About Your Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-08-2014, 11:57 PM
Re: You're Religious About Your Atheism
Just have to say that's a rather pointless use of religious then.

Might you care for a sense of community or impact in assisting the thought patterns of others, sure. When people say stuff like that it's meaningless. Then sports fans are religious and obsessive geeks are religious.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-08-2014, 12:16 AM
RE: You're Religious About Your Atheism
(22-08-2014 11:57 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Just have to say that's a rather pointless use of religious then.

Might you care for a sense of community or impact in assisting the thought patterns of others, sure. When people say stuff like that it's meaningless. Then sports fans are religious and obsessive geeks are religious.

[Image: jedi-church.jpg]

[Image: star-wars-religion-dark-vador1.jpg]

Tongue

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
23-08-2014, 09:41 AM
(22-08-2014 06:46 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  Internet atheism is pretty much a religion.
Yeah.

Internet colleges = religion
Internet sports forums = religion
Internet parenting forums = religion
Internet tech forums = religion
Internet science forums = religion
Internet individual dumbshits collectively = religion

It's ALL just a bunch of religion!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Drinking Beverage

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
23-08-2014, 11:40 AM
(22-08-2014 10:32 AM)SkepticJar Wrote:  That is what my friend and co-worker said to me yesterday. He also is an atheist.

I'm curious what others would say in response to this.

My friend is not a very good skeptic, and prior to him saying to me that I am religious about atheism we just had a long conversation about the benefits of skeptical inquiry and suspended belief till accurate evidence is provided (Ancient Aliens, Astrology, the moon having an affect on us...). Obviously I was pro belief suspension and he was clearly primed to believe outrageous claims and conspiracy theories.

He elaborated: "Well you read books, listen to podcasts, and want to group up with other atheists. I just think it's funny how you seem so religious about it"

I said to him that you could say that about anything: I read books on money, listen to podcasts about finances, and like gathering with like minded people to discuss trends. it is no different than saying I have a hobby that I like to engaging in. Interchangeable with fitness, nutrition, or school.

Even though I felt like this was a substantial answer showing the error with his reasoning, he continued to just say "well I just think it's funny is all"...

How would you respond? I am curious when I next encounter a comment like this.

Ah well... your friend might be in a place in his life where he is quite comfortable on the pot and has no desire to either shit or get off it. Tell him you think it's "funny" that he is so dispassionate about things in his life. That might be a fun conversation. Wink

You responded to him quite well, by the way. Thumbsup
I think when someone has an interest in a particular thing, the more involved one can become in it and the more it can invade his/her life and lifestyle. It's really not that big of a deal unless one tries to shove it down someone else's throat. If another person asks, discussion begins and details come to the forefront. I figure if they ask, it's not my problem if they think it's stupid or "funny".

I used to go to music venues quite a bit and still do. Because a coworker would often ask what I was doing on the weekend, I'd tell him where I'd be going and who I'd be seeing and give a followup the next time I saw him. One day he said to me, "Kim, when are you going to grow up and stop going to see some band play? You aren't even in a band (anymore) but you talk about going to see one play, all the time."

I very quickly responded, "I don't know, Dan. When are you going to grow up and stop watching sports? You don't even play sports anymore but you talk about it all the time." Zero response... but the next time he asked what I was doing on the weekend, he didn't roll his eyes.

I think he realized that it wasn't me making a big deal out of something I simply do rather, it was him. Until then, he really didn't understand that it was just something I've always done... like him and his sports stuff.

Also - I had always gotten this weird feeling from him - as if he thought I was somehow in some kind of "competition" with him. Once he could see we were kind of at the same level with our interests, I didn't get that feeling anymore. It kind of put us on equal footing. We've become fairly tight since then.

Who knows... might have been a "guy" thing. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
23-08-2014, 11:42 AM
I hate that shit when other atheists or liberals say that to me. Maybe they are too lazy to look at an issue and investigate it.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
26-08-2014, 09:51 AM
(22-08-2014 10:32 AM)SkepticJar Wrote:  That is what my friend and co-worker said to me yesterday. He also is an atheist.

If he's also an atheist, I'd be inclined to reflect on it a bit! Clearly he's got no ideological axe to grind, if he's also an atheist?

If you are into personal development and growth, you could ask your friend questions as to why he thinks this, and then see if you can understand his perspective?

Perhaps it's false, perhaps he has mis-interpreted things you've said, but it is always possible he can see something in your behaviour that currently you can't see.

Enquire into the facts of the matter with an open mind :-)

Phil
26-08-2014, 11:57 AM
He simply mixed up the word religious with passionate. Since atheism is about religion I can see why he made the error. Sometimes I wonder too why I'm passionate about it. Most of my friends care less about religion. It's not talked about here in Canada like it is in the south. So why do I worry about it?

It's just damn interesting to me people believe that shit. My in-laws are fundies, maybe that's why.
26-08-2014, 12:14 PM
Yea but we value science, and common law and human rights. That is not the same tribalism that religion teaches. We wouldn't need groups if other religions were not playing capture the flag with our planet.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
[+] 2 users Like Brian37's post
26-08-2014, 12:30 PM
(22-08-2014 06:46 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  Internet atheism is pretty much a religion.

And the moon is made of green cheese. Thumbsup

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
26-08-2014, 12:32 PM
(26-08-2014 09:51 AM)phil.a Wrote:  

If he's also an atheist, I'd be inclined to reflect on it a bit! Clearly he's got no ideological axe to grind, if he's also an atheist?

If you are into personal development and growth, you could ask your friend questions as to why he thinks this, and then see if you can understand his perspective?

Perhaps it's false, perhaps he has mis-interpreted things you've said, but it is always possible he can see something in your behaviour that currently you can't see.

Enquire into the facts of the matter with an open mind :-)

Phil

If I were to enquire, I would hope it would be about a spell/grammar checker.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.