You're Religious About Your Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-08-2014, 12:49 PM
RE: You're Religious About Your Atheism
(22-08-2014 06:49 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I think it is interesting that religious people assert that atheism (or evolution or science) are either religious concepts or that they can be used as religious concepts. I wonder why they think this or want to think this? Because at face value, they seem to be admitting that religions are either irrational or inherently weak positions when compared to non-religious (secular) positions. It seems to be based primarily on their own insecurity about their beliefs.

It's not the weakness they want to admit, what they want to do is set up a false equivalence. The idea is "atheism is *just* another religion, they claim to know the truth just like we do, so all the criticism that they level at religion (close-mindedness etc) applies equally to them, they're just too deluded to see it".

Basically they want it to seem like yeah, atheism is a valid "choice of belief" at the belief buffet, but it's not intrinsically superior to *their* choice of belief. It sweeps under the metaphysical rug the problem of where the fuck the evidence for their retarded lil' deity is.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-08-2014, 12:57 PM
The "atheism is a religion" meme goes hand in hand with the "all atheists are sad-sacks" meme. Again, based on the idea that atheists are too deluded to see that they're so very religous about their atheism (i.e. uncritical about accepting the belief as long as it's anti-God), the idea is that atheists *hate* God and that is why they want to *be* atheists - of course by hating God they really are admitting (even though they have cognitive dissonance so they don't realise it) that he exists.

The thing is, this is an emotional argument - the kind of argument that Christians are used to hearing from the pulpit. Emotional arguments are strong to Christians because evidence *for* Jesus is also usually presented as an emotional argument - Jesus made a huge difference in *my* life. I prayed to Jesus and he turned my life around. That kinda thing. Anecdotal random stuff - not *evidence* but... evidence and the subtleties of drawing conclusions from the same are not well understood by the large majority of people, and religious organizations like churches often *actively* promote anti-science stuff which prevents people from learning critical thinking skills.

Praise the Lord and pass the communion plate. Fuck atheists have it rough. Poor bastards.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
28-09-2014, 08:20 PM
Like thebeardeddude said, your friend is just insecure. The best thing about most Atheists I meet is that they are open minded. If some evidence of a divine origin to the universe comes my way; I will be listening. But at 56 I am always learning new things that disprove the religious arguments. And I am sure that a secular perspective will help mankind solve problems, instead of hoping for divine intervention.
29-09-2014, 06:34 AM
Quote:You're Religious About Your Atheism

If it means I am deeply convinced that it is correct and passionate about learning more about it and willing to help others understand it then yes, I am religious about atheism. I'm religious about atheism in the same sense that somebody can be religious about their workouts or bowling or whatever interests them.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
29-09-2014, 09:10 AM
(29-09-2014 06:34 AM)unfogged Wrote:  I'm religious about atheism in the same sense that somebody can be religious about their workouts or bowling or whatever interests them.

I'd take this one step further. Does your friend have something he is really keen on? Sports, books, photography, etc etc? If so, ask him how his enthusiasm is not a religion but yours is.

In other news, I believe this is my 100th post. Only took me 18 months. Guess I'm not as religious as some.Evil_monsterEvil_monsterEvil_monsterEvil_monsterSmile
29-09-2014, 12:18 PM
I think there are two ways to take that. There is the literal interpretation of, "You are treating atheism like a religion." Or, there is the colloquial use of "religious" which is often attributed to "hardcore hobbyists" such as football fans, golf fans, or whatnot (e.g. "He watches football religiously!"). If it's the former that your friend/coworker meant, then he needs some education on the issue and the definition of religion.

If it's the latter, then it is understandable that some may see it that way. I have a couple of friends IRL that are atheist, and none of them would ever go on a forum and talk about it, or go out of their way to talk about it, or watch videos related to it, or go to any events about religion/atheism. I think to them it's similar to a descriptor such as "omnivore". They identify with it, but don't see the point in bringing that identity to the surface of who they are. And I get that. There are several things I identify with/as but I don't go out of my way to make those things part of my life.

I am often confused by how "into" certain hobbies some people are. But then I just remember, not everybody understands how I can be into the things I am. It's just diversity.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
29-09-2014, 09:05 PM
(22-08-2014 10:32 AM)SkepticJar Wrote:  That is what my friend and co-worker said to me yesterday. He also is an atheist.

I'm curious what others would say in response to this.

My friend is not a very good skeptic, and prior to him saying to me that I am religious about atheism we just had a long conversation about the benefits of skeptical inquiry and suspended belief till accurate evidence is provided (Ancient Aliens, Astrology, the moon having an affect on us...). Obviously I was pro belief suspension and he was clearly primed to believe outrageous claims and conspiracy theories.

He elaborated: "Well you read books, listen to podcasts, and want to group up with other atheists. I just think it's funny how you seem so religious about it"

I said to him that you could say that about anything: I read books on money, listen to podcasts about finances, and like gathering with like minded people to discuss trends. it is no different than saying I have a hobby that I like to engaging in. Interchangeable with fitness, nutrition, or school.

Even though I felt like this was a substantial answer showing the error with his reasoning, he continued to just say "well I just think it's funny is all"...

How would you respond? I am curious when I next encounter a comment like this.

Yeah, I was thinking pretty much the same thing as what you said.
You can say that same thing about anything. I am religious about my video games or my table top miniatures or whatever.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
30-09-2014, 07:31 AM
(22-08-2014 10:32 AM)SkepticJar Wrote:  That is what my friend and co-worker said to me yesterday. He also is an atheist.

I'm curious what others would say in response to this.

My friend is not a very good skeptic, and prior to him saying to me that I am religious about atheism we just had a long conversation about the benefits of skeptical inquiry and suspended belief till accurate evidence is provided (Ancient Aliens, Astrology, the moon having an affect on us...). Obviously I was pro belief suspension and he was clearly primed to believe outrageous claims and conspiracy theories.

He elaborated: "Well you read books, listen to podcasts, and want to group up with other atheists. I just think it's funny how you seem so religious about it"

I said to him that you could say that about anything: I read books on money, listen to podcasts about finances, and like gathering with like minded people to discuss trends. it is no different than saying I have a hobby that I like to engaging in. Interchangeable with fitness, nutrition, or school.

Even though I felt like this was a substantial answer showing the error with his reasoning, he continued to just say "well I just think it's funny is all"...

How would you respond? I am curious when I next encounter a comment like this.

Same stupid argument when atheists or theists who are PC accuse other atheists of being "militant".

"Militant" is when you threaten violence. "Militant" is when you write laws to oppress others.

Calling myths bullshit may offend people, but it is not an act of violence. Telling religious people they are assholes for reading their books and justifying sick crap like oppressing women, or denying gays rights, again, is merely calling them assholes.

Do not ask me to be polite to dicks. No I will not kill them. But if you think it is ok to say crap that justifies harm to others, I may not physically prevent you from from making those claims, but I WILL call you out on it. If you make claims about science that are flat out bullshit, again, I won't stop you from making the claim, but I WILL call you out on it.

So yes, I am "militant" in standing up to absurdity, just like if someone claimed "The Yankees won the Superbowl" would make any sane person think "WHAT THE FUCK?".

Merely being offended only means you got offended.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-10-2014, 05:00 AM
My response used to be a lengthy explanation of what it means to be "religious" and why I'm not that.

Nowadays, I answer with a very simple "Gotta fight fire with fire. I'm good with it." Drinking Beverage

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-10-2014, 06:12 AM
(03-10-2014 05:00 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  My response used to be a lengthy explanation of what it means to be "religious" and why I'm not that.

Nowadays, I answer with a very simple "Gotta fight fire with fire. I'm good with it." Drinking Beverage

I'm tempted to go with "at least we agree that being religious about something is a bad thing"

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post