You're Religious About Your Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-10-2014, 10:20 AM
RE: You're Religious About Your Atheism
I had a similar conversation with a theist friend, and he explained that he felt that way because atheists want to convert people to their beliefs.

So in that sense, they are correct. I would like for more people to come to the realization that their god is fake.

RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. - Ambrose Bierce (The Devil's Dictionary)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-10-2014, 10:51 AM
(03-10-2014 10:20 AM)Silo1180 Wrote:  I had a similar conversation with a theist friend, and he explained that he felt that way because atheists want to convert people to their beliefs.

So in that sense, they are correct. I would like for more people to come to the realization that their god is fake.

I also wish more people played video games, read books, voted Democrat, and thought before they spoke, by that logic these are all religions apparently.

Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than the sage among his books. For to you kingdoms and their armies are things mighty and enduring, but to him they are but toys of the moment, to be overturned with the flick of a finger.”

― Gordon R. Dickson
21-10-2014, 05:31 AM
The link here is "passion". But its also easy for some to relate atheism to religion because the religious are constantly crowing about it, trying to make us sound like our disbelief is just the other end of their spectrum, instead of a disbelief in their spectrum all together.
21-10-2014, 05:56 AM
(22-08-2014 10:32 AM)SkepticJar Wrote:  That is what my friend and co-worker said to me yesterday. He also is an atheist.

I'm curious what others would say in response to this.

My friend is not a very good skeptic, and prior to him saying to me that I am religious about atheism we just had a long conversation about the benefits of skeptical inquiry and suspended belief till accurate evidence is provided (Ancient Aliens, Astrology, the moon having an affect on us...). Obviously I was pro belief suspension and he was clearly primed to believe outrageous claims and conspiracy theories.

He elaborated: "Well you read books, listen to podcasts, and want to group up with other atheists. I just think it's funny how you seem so religious about it"

I said to him that you could say that about anything: I read books on money, listen to podcasts about finances, and like gathering with like minded people to discuss trends. it is no different than saying I have a hobby that I like to engaging in. Interchangeable with fitness, nutrition, or school.

Even though I felt like this was a substantial answer showing the error with his reasoning, he continued to just say "well I just think it's funny is all"...

How would you respond? I am curious when I next encounter a comment like this.
21-10-2014, 06:24 AM
I am not just an atheist. An atheist is what I am. If you are a scientist, a musician, a plumber, a doctor, a lawyer, a basket weaver, a bowler, a mathematician, a truck driver, a vegetarian, or what ever you are if you are a Christian (or any kind of "believer) I think you are a "moron". Richard Dawkins scale of "belief" in God is from 1-7. I am a 6.9999. I judge everyone by this scale. If you are a 1 you a complete idiot-a moron-a dumbass. I judge everyone by this scale. No matter what you do or how smart you are or how "gifted" you are or how talented you are I judge you on how you fall on the Richard Dawkins scale. Nothing else is "important" to me. As a racist "judges" Niggers(their description), a bible stumping Christian "judges" homosexuals- fags(their description), or a Nazi "judges" "Kikes"(their description) I "judge" everyone on the Richard Dawkins "belief" scale. I am a religious "bigot". Do I need help. Should I seek a psychiatrist. I
21-10-2014, 07:03 AM
(21-10-2014 06:24 AM)marken Wrote:  I am not just an atheist. An atheist is what I am. If you are a scientist, a musician, a plumber, a doctor, a lawyer, a basket weaver, a bowler, a mathematician, a truck driver, a vegetarian, or what ever you are if you are a Christian (or any kind of "believer) I think you are a "moron". Richard Dawkins scale of "belief" in God is from 1-7. I am a 6.9999. I judge everyone by this scale. If you are a 1 you a complete idiot-a moron-a dumbass. I judge everyone by this scale. No matter what you do or how smart you are or how "gifted" you are or how talented you are I judge you on how you fall on the Richard Dawkins scale. Nothing else is "important" to me. As a racist "judges" Niggers(their description), a bible stumping Christian "judges" homosexuals- fags(their description), or a Nazi "judges" "Kikes"(their description) I "judge" everyone on the Richard Dawkins "belief" scale. I am a religious "bigot". Do I need help. Should I seek a psychiatrist. I

If that's how you choose to live your life... good luck to you. I would rather find the common ground than get caught up in the differences though. Most religious people that I've ever encountered are pretty OK if a bit whacky. TBH you give off more of a fanatic vibe.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
24-11-2014, 11:30 AM
(22-08-2014 10:32 AM)SkepticJar Wrote:  That is what my friend and co-worker said to me yesterday. He also is an atheist.

My friend is not a very good skeptic, and prior to him saying to me that I am religious about atheism we just had a long conversation about the benefits of skeptical inquiry and suspended belief till accurate evidence is provided (Ancient Aliens, Astrology, the moon having an affect on us...). Obviously I was pro belief suspension and he was clearly primed to believe outrageous claims and conspiracy theories.

He elaborated: "Well you read books, listen to podcasts, and want to group up with other atheists. I just think it's funny how you seem so religious about it"

I said to him that you could say that about anything: I read books on money, listen to podcasts about finances, and like gathering with like minded people to discuss trends. it is no different than saying I have a hobby that I like to engaging in. Interchangeable with fitness, nutrition, or school.

Even though I felt like this was a substantial answer showing the error with his reasoning, he continued to just say "well I just think it's funny is all"...

It is a concrete fact that atheistic Secular Humanism is a Religion from an internal, external, official, and sociological standpoint. Its difficult to deny this when the very Humanist Manifestos 1 and 2 declare it as such and the Humanist of the Year recipient declared it as such in the Humanist magazine (called Free Inquiry). The specific details can be found in this Formal Debate I was engaged in some time ago : http://www.christianforums.com/t7841230

Atheistic Humanism is religious thru and thru , only they don't like hearing that because they lobby to keep any semblance of religion from being taught in public schools...except for their religion of course . Therein lies the bigotry of atheistic Humanism., not to mention the enormous societal damage it has caused thru its major tenet of Moral Relativism especially in the form of Sexual relativism (proof upon request) .
24-11-2014, 11:45 AM
(24-11-2014 11:30 AM)Im a humble little Theist Wrote:  

It is a concrete fact that atheistic Secular Humanism is a Religion from an internal, external, official, and sociological standpoint. Its difficult to deny this when the very Humanist Manifestos 1 and 2 declare it as such and the Humanist of the Year recipient declared it as such in the Humanist magazine (called Free Inquiry). The specific details can be found in this Formal Debate I was engaged in some time ago : http://www.christianforums.com/t7841230

Atheistic Humanism is religious thru and thru , only they don't like hearing that because they lobby to keep any semblance of religion from being taught in public schools...except for their religion of course . Therein lies the bigotry of atheistic Humanism., not to mention the enormous societal damage it has caused thru its major tenet of Moral Relativism especially in the form of Sexual relativism (proof upon request) .

Except atheism is not about worshipping any supernatural deities, ie, not a religion.

There goes your main point.
[+] 1 user Likes Kaepora Gaebora's post
24-11-2014, 11:55 AM
(24-11-2014 11:45 AM)Kaepora Gaebora Wrote:  
(24-11-2014 11:30 AM)Im a humble little Theist Wrote:  It is a concrete fact that atheistic Secular Humanism is a Religion from an internal, external, official, and sociological standpoint. Its difficult to deny this when the very Humanist Manifestos 1 and 2 declare it as such and the Humanist of the Year recipient declared it as such in the Humanist magazine (called Free Inquiry). The specific details can be found in this Formal Debate I was engaged in some time ago : http://www.christianforums.com/t7841230

Except atheism is not about worshipping any supernatural deities, ie, not a religion.

There goes your main point.

True. Atheism in its Secular Humanism form IS about worshipping SELF with its popular creed reading : ' Man is the measure of all things' . Instead of worshipping Ones Creator who is also the Creator of the Cosmos, SELF gets worshipped which springboards into Narcissism . Either God is allowed to be God in ones life, or, One makes SELF ones own 'god' ... and because its the latter that represents our culture today, we are paying an enormous price thru the societal ills we face as a morally bankrupt nation. This is what occurs in any Nation where God isn't wanted nor his loving protective absolute moral mandates to live by. It only gets worse and worse. Its a religion of worshipping SELF which was never meant to be . Here it is all spelled out quite clearly : http://www.christianforums.com/t7841230
24-11-2014, 12:09 PM
Do you know what the strawman fallacy is? You should, because your posts personify it.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like WillHopp's post