You're given 5 minutes to deconvert a Christian, how would you do it?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-07-2014, 08:59 AM
You're given 5 minutes to deconvert a Christian, how would you do it?
I think I would tell them to consider the pyramids. They were constructed around 2550 BC, the flood myth was supposed to occur around 2440-2460 BC. The pyramids stand in obvious defiance of a global flood myth and even a local flood myth.

The Tower of Babel myth was supposed to occur around 2200 BC, the pyramids were around 350 years before this with written Egyptian language on the inside of them.

The pyramids have a WRITTEN history that dates them before these two global biblical events. There is no sign of flood damage on them and the Egyptian language was obviously established before the tower of Babel event.

The existence of the pyramids disprove two major global events of the bible and even cast doubt on the myth of Moses as they were clearly constructed by paid citizens of Egypt and not Hebrew slaves. (I believe this a standard erroneous myth believed by most people)

Of course I could say this in 5 minutes or less, but the apologist tap dancing, arguing and denial that would ensue would go on indefinitely.
I think this would inspire enough doubt that perhaps a person would look into it and discover the details of the evidence for themselves, I haven't seen a lot of apologist BS to refute this particular biblical debunking, so a believer might have to venture out of the apologist sheep pen to find the truth.
All you need is that nagging question that won't go away.....

I thought this would be a useful exercise in "What would you say?" if given the opportunity.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-07-2014, 09:05 AM
RE: You're given 5 minutes to deconvert a Christian, how would you do it?
Well, first, I'd accept to myself that this is pretty much an impossible task on the level with breaking through concrete in five minutes with a spoon.

Then, I'd probably go for completely and thoroughly debunking the Bible. Point out a very nice chunk of plot holes, inconsistencies, and horrible things. Steadfastly maintain that you absolutely must follow this Bible to be a Christian. If I know the person well enough, point to a rule that, if followed, would have gotten them killed multiple times over.
[+] 3 users Like CleverUsername's post
09-07-2014, 09:21 AM
5 minutes? That is too little time for me. There is too much to debunk, and even one thing would take more time to give a clear unmisunderstandable answer in which you can show evidence to that conclusion only.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
09-07-2014, 09:30 AM
Only 5 minutes?

Impossible task - but biblical contradictions is probably my starting point...
[+] 2 users Like CiderThinker's post
09-07-2014, 09:49 AM
I wouldn't. Deconverting isn't really my thing. I prefer "de-establishing", or instilling enough doubt so that they have harder time feeling like they have a devine mandate to be a repressive asshole. In five minutes I would probably pick a few ridiculous stories from the bible and say something like "see, you believe that, fine whatever, and I can't be sure you are wrong. You can't be sure your a right either. Maybe your religion only need apply to you".

Alternatively I might just how them a Hitchens video Consider .
[+] 2 users Like Michael_Tadlock's post
09-07-2014, 09:56 AM
Three words. "Read your Bible".

Doc
[+] 1 user Likes docskeptic's post
09-07-2014, 10:22 AM
No Christian is going to be deconverted in 5 minutes. In all honesty, I don't give a damn about deconverting people. I'm happy to have a friendly debate, but I have no concern about somebody's beliefs so long as they keep that shit to themselves. When I will get pissed and tell somebody that their religious beliefs are bullshit is when they are trying to push their religious garbage on me. Then I don't hold back. They'll bitch that I'm not giving them their special treatment that they have gotten for so long, and I'll tell them that they don't get a free pass to push their religious crap on me and be free of criticism just because they are doing it for religious reasons.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes WindyCityJazz's post
09-07-2014, 10:27 AM
I'd find a better way to spend my 5 minutes since such an attempt is an exercise in futility. Drinking Beverage

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
09-07-2014, 11:03 AM (This post was last modified: 09-07-2014 11:07 AM by DLJ.)
5 mins? Too easy.

What should I do with the remaining 4 minutes?

Take the tried and tested traditional approach...

[Image: peaceful_islam_mohammed.jpg]

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
09-07-2014, 11:05 AM

[Image: fdyq20.jpg]
[+] 5 users Like LostLocke's post