You're given 5 minutes to deconvert a Christian, how would you do it?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-07-2014, 11:09 AM
RE: You're given 5 minutes to deconvert a Christian, how would you do it?
(09-07-2014 11:03 AM)DLJ Wrote:  5 mins? Too easy.

What should I do with the remaining 4 minutes?

Take the tried and tested traditional approach...

[Image: peaceful_islam_mohammed.jpg]

And how would that picture deconvert a Christian as the thread title stipulates? ConsiderCool
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-07-2014, 11:33 AM
(09-07-2014 11:09 AM)CiderThinker Wrote:  

And how would that picture deconvert a Christian as the thread title stipulates? ConsiderCool

Well, if you were witness to the marauding hordes of Islam asking you oh so politely to not be christian anymore, how long would it take you to deconvert?

Dodgy

09-07-2014, 11:37 AM

Haha! You got me on a technicality.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
09-07-2014, 11:37 AM
(09-07-2014 11:33 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(09-07-2014 11:09 AM)CiderThinker Wrote:  And how would that picture deconvert a Christian as the thread title stipulates? ConsiderCool

Well, if you were witness to the marauding hordes of Islam asking you oh so politely to not be christian anymore, how long would it take you to deconvert?

Dodgy
Yeah - doesn't seem to have worked thus far...
09-07-2014, 11:40 AM
Not possible in 5 minutes to deconvert a believer.

Think about it...

I'll bet not a single former believer here lost their beliefs in a short time. For the vast majority, it was a long process.

There are many studies that show that the more intensely one is confronted with refutations to their beliefs, the more they dig in their heels to defend them. That ancient limbic system in your brain is hard to ignore.

On a side note, the more intelligent the believer, the harder it is to deconvert them. They have an easier time coming up with self convincing arguments to justify their beliefs.
09-07-2014, 11:42 AM
(09-07-2014 11:40 AM)Simon Moon Wrote:  On a side note, the more intelligent the believer, the harder it is to deconvert them. They have an easier time coming up with self convincing arguments to justify their beliefs.

Not a matter of intelligence - simply a matter of open-mindedness - and that can happen across the spectrum of intelligence. Francis Collins is a believer but so is Sarah Palin. If that doesn't demonstrate the range of intelligence willing to suspend disbelief then I don't know what does...
09-07-2014, 11:48 AM
(09-07-2014 11:40 AM)Simon Moon Wrote:  On a side note, the more intelligent the believer, the harder it is to deconvert them. They have an easier time coming up with self convincing arguments to justify their beliefs.

I have a good friend that is intelligent, he's the living example of what you just said. The rationalizations he makes to support his beliefs are stupefying and disgusting.

I got him to profess that the global flood myth of his god was "just" in his own words.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
09-07-2014, 11:50 AM
.357 Magnum?

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 3 users Like Minimalist's post
09-07-2014, 11:56 AM
(09-07-2014 11:40 AM)Simon Moon Wrote:  I'll bet not a single former believer here lost their beliefs in a short time.

You lose that bet; I did. Drinking Beverage
09-07-2014, 11:56 AM
Depends what you're up against.

A fundy is so illogical and ignorant that you can just take your pick on any shit they believe and turn it to dust. Here you're dealing with falsifiable claims like Creationism, Biblical infallibility etc. If you know what you're doing you can just destroy each claim they make very easily.

Those vague, ambiguous toss pot apologists are impossible to argue with... Because they present nothing solid. Their claims are entirely unfalsifiable, and deliberately vague. Anything you present they will claim not to believe in anyway... Yet will never set out what they do actually believe.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user