You're given 5 minutes to deconvert a Christian, how would you do it?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-07-2014, 12:06 PM
RE: You're given 5 minutes to deconvert a Christian, how would you do it?
I would strangle them, then they would no longer be a christian

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
09-07-2014, 12:18 PM
Why do you have faith? Based on what? How do you know of God? The Bible you say… You owe yourself to learn where the foundation of your belief was formed. Take some theology courses, learn about the formation and fabrication of the Bible. Learn how the Bible was largely based on allegorical writings of parables by community groups, and not a single author that the name of the book is attributed to… This is called pseudepigrapha. You will find out that not a single person who wrote of Jesus knew him, in most cases were born after his death, and based their writings on the oral retelling, of the oral retelling of the story passed down by somebody, who knew somebody, who heard somebody, say they saw something. There is no physical evidence that the miracle performing, son of god Jesus Christ ever existed. Since that is the basis of your religion, and it clearly is very important to you, you owe yourself and your loved ones to research where it came from. Don't believe me, find this out for yourself...do the research. I submit to you that the more you learn the less you will believe. It was the same road I traveled and I wish you the best in your journey.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 2 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
09-07-2014, 12:26 PM
I wouldn't bother. You cant deconstruct someone from their beliefs in 5 minutes....unless you kill them, and thats not really my style.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
09-07-2014, 12:29 PM
(09-07-2014 12:26 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I wouldn't bother. You cant deconstruct someone from their beliefs in 5 minutes....unless you kill them, and thats not really my style.

True, but you can plant a seed if you are good...a seed which they may give a subconscious opportunity to grow once they get curious enough to look into what you said...I have personally had great success with that tactic. Now if they have a westboro rocks Laughat bumper sticker on their car, just keep walking Drooling

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
09-07-2014, 12:34 PM
(09-07-2014 12:29 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  
(09-07-2014 12:26 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I wouldn't bother. You cant deconstruct someone from their beliefs in 5 minutes....unless you kill them, and thats not really my style.

True, but you can plant a seed if you are good...a seed which they may give a subconscious opportunity to grow once they get curious enough to look into what you said...I have personally had great success with that tactic. Now if they have a westboro rocks Laughat bumper sticker on their car, just keep walking Drooling

Planting seeds is fine, but a seed wont work in 5 minutes. Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
09-07-2014, 12:46 PM
(09-07-2014 12:18 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Why do you have faith? Based on what? How do you know of God? The Bible you say… You owe yourself to learn where the foundation of your belief was formed. Take some theology courses, learn about the formation and fabrication of the Bible. Learn how the Bible was largely based on allegorical writings of parables by community groups, and not a single author that the name of the book is attributed to… This is called pseudepigrapha. You will find out that not a single person who wrote of Jesus knew him, in most cases were born after his death, and based their writings on the oral retelling, of the oral retelling of the story passed down by somebody, who knew somebody, who heard somebody, say they saw something. There is no physical evidence that the miracle performing, son of god Jesus Christ ever existed. Since that is the basis of your religion, and it clearly is very important to you, you owe yourself and your loved ones to research where it came from. Don't believe me, find this out for yourself...do the research. I submit to you that the more you learn the less you will believe. It was the same road I traveled and I wish you the best in your journey.

Been there, done that. They will claim that this is all lies -- that the gospels, for example, were all written by eyewitnesses who did know Jesus, and anyone who claims otherwise is just making shit up to try to discredit the Bible. Any research that doesn't match what they already believe is dismissed as lies. The church knew everything there is to know 2000 years ago, and nobody has had an original thought or idea since then. And nobody has made any new discoveries, either. Forget about science -- that's just more lies made up by people for the purpose of discrediting religion. This is the mindset that you're up against.

I'm probably being overly pessimistic. There must be some theists who are capable of listening to reason and changing their opinions accordingly. But i haven't met any of that kind.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
09-07-2014, 01:06 PM
(09-07-2014 12:34 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(09-07-2014 12:29 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  True, but you can plant a seed if you are good...a seed which they may give a subconscious opportunity to grow once they get curious enough to look into what you said...I have personally had great success with that tactic. Now if they have a westboro rocks Laughat bumper sticker on their car, just keep walking Drooling

Planting seeds is fine, but a seed wont work in 5 minutes. Tongue

good point Blush

09-07-2014, 01:51 PM
If I'm not being limited by ethics? Hypnosis.

Ideally, the hypnosis wouldn't be "this is false", but encouragement to pursue the question of whether it is false fully and without guilt or fear.
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
09-07-2014, 02:27 PM

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
09-07-2014, 04:53 PM
Memory eraser - as in...

[Image: tumblr_l98s3wpuBh1qddjb4o1_500.gif]

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post