You're given 5 minutes to deconvert a Christian, how would you do it?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-07-2014, 05:02 PM
RE: You're given 5 minutes to deconvert a Christian, how would you do it?
I'd only need 5 seconds......and a big mallet Yes

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like aurora's post
09-07-2014, 07:17 PM
I would spend 3 minutes answering any questions they had about atheism, then use the remaining 2 minutes getting them to promise to read/watch some Hitchens/Dawkins/Harris or whatever for 30mins a night for 1 week Smile

I'll just play the 'can I help you' lick!!!
09-07-2014, 07:54 PM
(09-07-2014 08:59 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  I think I would tell them to consider the pyramids. They were constructed around 2550 BC, the flood myth was supposed to occur around 2440-2460 BC. The pyramids stand in obvious defiance of a global flood myth and even a local flood myth.

Five minutes!? I won't get into some of the stuff I've seen when a Christian doubles down on the flood myth, but I can assure you that it is both deplorable and it lasts more than five minutes. It won't work. You haven't seen creepy, desperate apologetics until you've seen flood apologetics. They're just the worst, as are their apologists.

(09-07-2014 08:59 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  I thought this would be a useful exercise in "What would you say?" if given the opportunity.

Short answer is it wouldn't work in five minutes. It literally took me years to drop my faith, and that was with many lengthy conversations, and then letting those conversations erode my faith over five years before I even noticed they'd had an effect.

Aside from that, without the time limit, I'd say, get them to realize their religion isn't special. Get them to explain why they believe what they believe, and use those same arguments to argue for other religions around the world. Let them realize their approach is just as presuppositional and nonfalsifiable as all those other "wrong" religions. Then, get them to accept that they (likely) believe what they believe because it's what they were taught when they were young enough to believe in Santa. That's what worked on me, but it took a long time.
10-07-2014, 03:49 PM
"You don't really believe in some bullshit promise of a postmortem preservation of identity do you? You don't really believe you can survive your own death do you? Really? ... Blink ... Blink ... Hobo ... Consider ... Nice weather we're having. So how 'bout 'dem Bears?"

#sigh
10-07-2014, 04:25 PM
Deconversion would not be possible in such a short amount of time unless the subject was already having severe doubts (a crisis of faith), or if I had access to two electrodes and a power source strong enough to wipe out their memory, then brainwash them. Even in those situations, I would not guarantee anything more than temporary success.
I think we can all agree that at least the second situation is highly unethical, if not plain evil.

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
10-07-2014, 04:38 PM
5 minutes of GOHMERT!!! oughtta do it.

#sigh
10-07-2014, 04:57 PM
(10-07-2014 03:49 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  "You don't really believe in some bullshit promise of a postmortem preservation of identity do you? You don't really believe you can survive your own death do you? Really? ... Blink ... Blink ... Hobo ... Consider ... Nice weather we're having. So how 'bout 'dem Bears?"

These bears?

[Image: 6a0133f0b2fdc2970b0177442c0236970d-pi]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
10-07-2014, 05:16 PM
(10-07-2014 04:57 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(10-07-2014 03:49 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  "You don't really believe in some bullshit promise of a postmortem preservation of identity do you? You don't really believe you can survive your own death do you? Really? ... Blink ... Blink ... Hobo ... Consider ... Nice weather we're having. So how 'bout 'dem Bears?"

These bears?

Nope these bears

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
10-07-2014, 05:35 PM
(10-07-2014 05:16 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(10-07-2014 04:57 PM)Chas Wrote:  These bears?

Nope these bears

Or possibly these ...
[Image: 3bares.png]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
10-07-2014, 09:46 PM
1 First I'd ask them how they learned their religion - by people. I'd say now be honest have you ever seen any miracles or really saw anything supernatural?
2 There are lots of religions out there how do you know yours is right? There's actually more muslims then christians.
3 Do you know the bible came to be? Did you know that a council voted on what was in the bible and what wasn't. Early christians had major fights over these and some key doctrines.

Five minutes is a little far fetched to really deconvert someone but hopefully it would at least get them thinking.