You're given 5 minutes to deconvert a Christian, how would you do it?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-07-2014, 10:16 PM
RE: You're given 5 minutes to deconvert a Christian, how would you do it?
I'd take then to the children's Genetic Clinic on a busy day, and make them sit in the waiting room for 5 minutes and ponder the amazing love their creator has shown in all his "intelligent designs".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Bucky Ball's post
11-07-2014, 12:04 AM
What's in it for me?

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
11-07-2014, 01:18 AM
Conversion...

Debbil -> *conversionator* -> Christian

Deconversion reverses the process?

Christian -> *deconversionator* -> Debbil ?

Methinks a few shots of tequila and nudity will be required.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
11-07-2014, 05:44 AM
(10-07-2014 09:46 PM)john2 Wrote:  1 First I'd ask them how they learned their religion - by people. I'd say now be honest have you ever seen any miracles or really saw anything supernatural?
2 There are lots of religions out there how do you know yours is right? There's actually more muslims then christians.
3 Do you know the bible came to be? Did you know that a council voted on what was in the bible and what wasn't. Early christians had major fights over these and some key doctrines.

Five minutes is a little far fetched to really deconvert someone but hopefully it would at least get them thinking.

I think using the approach of how they came to be saved; probably under a threat of hell, might be a way to make them think.

I don't know how many times I heard this sentence during an altar call - "Do you know, if you died tonight, that would go to be with God in heaven?"

The threat of hell is a powerful psychological tool, I think it's one of the things that angered me most with how they used it to manipulate people.

And wouldn't this be fear and not faith?

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
11-07-2014, 10:24 AM
(10-07-2014 10:16 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I'd take then to the children's Genetic Clinic on a busy day, and make them sit in the waiting room for 5 minutes and ponder the amazing love their creator has shown in all his "intelligent designs".

That shit be all mysterious, bro. There must be a reason for it, though, because God wouldn't do that for no reason.

But, yeah, this is why the five minute caveat makes this impossible. There's way more than enough apologetics to keep a theist going for more than five minutes on any topic you could bring to them.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
11-07-2014, 10:45 AM
(09-07-2014 08:59 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  I think I would tell them to consider the pyramids. They were constructed around 2550 BC, the flood myth was supposed to occur around 2440-2460 BC. The pyramids stand in obvious defiance of a global flood myth and even a local flood myth.

The Tower of Babel myth was supposed to occur around 2200 BC, the pyramids were around 350 years before this with written Egyptian language on the inside of them.

The pyramids have a WRITTEN history that dates them before these two global biblical events. There is no sign of flood damage on them and the Egyptian language was obviously established before the tower of Babel event.

Are you sure you know the dates of the flood and the tower of Babel?

http://clydeherrin.wordpress.com/2014/06/25/4004-bc/

Quote:The existence of the pyramids disprove two major global events of the bible and even cast doubt on the myth of Moses as they were clearly constructed by paid citizens of Egypt and not Hebrew slaves. (I believe this a standard erroneous myth believed by most people)

The Bible doesn't say anything about who built the pyramids but it certainly wasn't Hebrew slaves.

Now there arose a new king over Egypt, who did not know Joseph. And he said to his people, “Behold, the people of Israel are too many and too mighty for us. Come, let us deal shrewdly with them, lest they multiply, and, if war breaks out, they join our enemies and fight against us and escape from the land.” Therefore they set taskmasters over them to afflict them with heavy burdens. They built for Pharaoh store cities, Pithom and Raamses.
(Exodus 1:8-11 ESV)

There is nothing about the pyramids that contradicts the Bible.

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-07-2014, 11:35 AM
(11-07-2014 10:24 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  There's way more than enough apologetics to keep a theist going for more than five minutes on any topic you could bring to them.
Yeah, and were they to run out, they would just invent more anyway.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
11-07-2014, 02:30 PM (This post was last modified: 11-07-2014 02:35 PM by TheInquisition.)
Quote:Are you sure you know the dates of the flood and the tower of Babel?

Yep, Answers in Genesis throws out a date of 2500 BC:
https://answersingenesis.org/the-flood/g...ark-flood/

Then they throw out a date of 2348 BC here:
https://answersingenesis.org/bible-timel...the-flood/

I don't really expect consistency from these guys, so I went to a separate website and they re-state the flood date of 2348 BC:
http://www.noah3d.8m.com/noah_timeline.htm

Are you about to move the goalposts?

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
11-07-2014, 02:37 PM
(11-07-2014 02:30 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Are you about to move the goalposts?

Only so he can score an own goal Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
11-07-2014, 08:53 PM
A question I'd like to ask is, how do you deconvert a Christian like this?

[+] 1 user Likes Nogon's post