You're given 5 minutes to deconvert a Christian, how would you do it?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-07-2014, 07:19 AM
RE: You're given 5 minutes to deconvert a Christian, how would you do it?
I like that video NOGON, I put that on my Facebook page, it's sure to piss off several of my friends!

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-07-2014, 07:24 AM
(09-07-2014 08:59 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  I think I would tell them to consider the pyramids. They were constructed around 2550 BC, the flood myth was supposed to occur around 2440-2460 BC. The pyramids stand in obvious defiance of a global flood myth and even a local flood myth.

The Tower of Babel myth was supposed to occur around 2200 BC, the pyramids were around 350 years before this with written Egyptian language on the inside of them.

The pyramids have a WRITTEN history that dates them before these two global biblical events. There is no sign of flood damage on them and the Egyptian language was obviously established before the tower of Babel event.

The existence of the pyramids disprove two major global events of the bible and even cast doubt on the myth of Moses as they were clearly constructed by paid citizens of Egypt and not Hebrew slaves. (I believe this a standard erroneous myth believed by most people)

Of course I could say this in 5 minutes or less, but the apologist tap dancing, arguing and denial that would ensue would go on indefinitely.
I think this would inspire enough doubt that perhaps a person would look into it and discover the details of the evidence for themselves, I haven't seen a lot of apologist BS to refute this particular biblical debunking, so a believer might have to venture out of the apologist sheep pen to find the truth.
All you need is that nagging question that won't go away.....

I thought this would be a useful exercise in "What would you say?" if given the opportunity.

What do I get out of the deal? Do I get a prize or do I get punished? Do I die? The answer to this question will determine my tactic.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
12-07-2014, 07:42 AM
Re: You're given 5 minutes to deconvert a Christian, how would you do it?
The killing suggestion here is all wrong... You can't kill then then leave it at that.

You kill em, revive them 5 minutes later and ask if they saw God. If they say yes? Rinse and repeat the process as many times as necessary.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
12-07-2014, 10:56 AM (This post was last modified: 12-07-2014 10:59 AM by childeye.)
Why would you seek to convert a Christian? Never mind, I know there can be many answers. So let me ask you this. What's wrong with believing it is right to treat others as you would want to be treated? I suspect you're attacking an ephod.
13-07-2014, 10:56 AM
(12-07-2014 10:56 AM)childeye Wrote:  Why would you seek to convert a Christian? Never mind, I know there can be many answers. So let me ask you this. What's wrong with believing it is right to treat others as you would want to be treated? I suspect you're attacking an ephod.

Historically and currently this world is in danger of being ruined by the effects of a system of radical and unrelenting oppression. This system exists because of the irrational ideals that you embrace yourself. I don't fear you, Childeye, are you are a gentle person. But I fear those that would, and do, use a person's fear of the unknown to foster a rationale of all or nothing, which inevitably leads to "kneel or die".

It has happened and it is happening. The best way to rid humanity of this blight is to attack the root of the problem, which is blind faith in that which has no merit for belief.

If religion were no more than philosophy, which it seems to be for you, I would have no problem with it. Sadly, however, this is not the case, and the consequences of apathy towards the problem is costing innocent life. That is why we seek to change people's minds about religion.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
13-07-2014, 08:02 PM
I wouldn't bother.
I'd certainly argue with a creationist but whether god exists or not is irrelevant to me.
13-07-2014, 08:20 PM
In 5 minutes i would just try to convince the person to read the bible with a little bit of skepticism.
13-07-2014, 08:23 PM
(13-07-2014 08:20 PM)Sedated Wrote:  In 5 minutes i would just try to convince the person to read the bible with a little bit of skepticism.

That's the problem. It takes perspective to acquire a skeptical view, and that just doesn't happen in five minutes.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
13-07-2014, 11:39 PM (This post was last modified: 13-07-2014 11:42 PM by childeye.)
(13-07-2014 10:56 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(12-07-2014 10:56 AM)childeye Wrote:  Why would you seek to convert a Christian? Never mind, I know there can be many answers. So let me ask you this. What's wrong with believing it is right to treat others as you would want to be treated? I suspect you're attacking an ephod.

Quote:Historically and currently this world is in danger of being ruined by the effects of a system of radical and unrelenting oppression. This system exists because of the irrational ideals that you embrace yourself. I don't fear you, Childeye, are you are a gentle person. But I fear those that would, and do, use a person's fear of the unknown to foster a rationale of all or nothing, which inevitably leads to "kneel or die".
So what's new? You think there wasn't an inquisition in the name of Christ? But don't get all crazy on me if I say they weren't serving the Spirit of christ. Now you say there is a rationale that leads to kneel or die. Did Christ do that to anyone? He never forced anyone to believe in him. Quite the opposite, he died and even forgave those who would have him kneel or die. Therefore I don't know what irrational ideals I hold that you claim this world embraces. I embrace Christ who was against the powers of this world and got killed for it.

Quote:It has happened and it is happening. The best way to rid humanity of this blight is to attack the root of the problem, which is blind faith in that which has no merit for belief.
What makes you think you don't believe blindly when accusing people of believing blindly?
Quote:If religion were no more than philosophy, which it seems to be for you, I would have no problem with it. Sadly, however, this is not the case, and the consequences of apathy towards the problem is costing innocent life. That is why we seek to change people's minds about religion.
Fine, except for one thing. Religion actually means an obligation that binds people in a common belief. Atheism fits right in.
14-07-2014, 12:01 AM
(13-07-2014 11:39 PM)childeye Wrote:  Religion actually means an obligation that binds people in a common belief. Atheism fits right in.

Rolleyes So we're as bad as you now? Try harder. We are not "bound" by any belief.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.