You're given 5 minutes to deconvert a Christian, how would you do it?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-07-2014, 02:31 PM
RE: You're given 5 minutes to deconvert a Christian, how would you do it?
I wouldn't, at least not in the typical sense of deconverting.

I'm more concerned with the individual's capacity to utilize reason in as many circumstances as possible and to think for themselves in all situations. If the beliefs they hold to come from spoonfed bullshit with no underlying support or consistency, I would be interested in attempting to guide them towards a path of doing their own personal research on the matter and to willingly embrace the possibility to approach topics from different angles than previously accounted for. Whether they remain a Christian or not after that journey of discovery is of trivial importance from my perspective, all I care about is for people to come to their own conclusions rather than acting upon pure indoctrination.

With all that being said, 5 minutes isn't a whole heap of time to get any of that done.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-07-2014, 02:36 PM
(21-07-2014 02:11 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  I agree, not taking the bible literally is a much more reasonable position, however, if you dismiss the creation myth as a parable, then you undermine the entire purpose of Jesus.
Romans 5:12 -5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:

Yes, and that's a big part of the reason why Catholicism didn't "stick" with me -- the whole premise of original sin and redemption just doesn't make sense. The creation myth is ludicrous if taken literally, but if you don't take it literally, the entire religion unravels. Which is why it baffles me that there are such people as Christians who don't take the Bible literally (even though I was once one of them).
21-07-2014, 03:47 PM
great mythical worldwide 40 feet above the highest mountain flood has never happened, regardless of dates.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
21-07-2014, 05:15 PM
I would try to get them to consider the differences between their religion, and another that they find false. Why theirs is true, and the other false. Then ask them if they would apply that thought process that makes them believe that theirs is true, to determine the validity of any other claim made in their life.

Totally depends on how reasonable the person is, but ultimately you cannot deconvert anybody in 5 minutes anyways.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
21-07-2014, 05:36 PM
I would start speed reading aloud all of the "hilarious" verses in the bible and stuff that jesus said the church wont say in public.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
21-07-2014, 05:40 PM
Give them a nice, solid kick in the crotch.
While they're on the floor moaning and wailing, ask them why Jebus would allow them such suffering. Big Grin
21-07-2014, 08:46 PM
You're given 5 minutes to deconvert a Christian, how would you do it?
I'd go looking for the person responsible for limiting the conversation to 5 minutes and give them a very long talking to. A very long talking to indeed.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
21-07-2014, 08:55 PM
(21-07-2014 05:40 PM)pablo628 Wrote:  Give them a nice, solid kick in the crotch.
While they're on the floor moaning and wailing, ask them why Jebus would allow them such suffering. Big Grin

A better one would be to ask them,

If we are made in gods image and our god is perfect and his creation is perfect.

Why would he design you with such a catastrophic weak point like that?

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 2 users Like Shadow Fox's post