"You're going to hell!"

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
14-08-2011, 06:38 AM
"You're going to hell!"
So I know alot of you have been told "You're going to hell!" by the bible thumper here and there. But I would like to tell you one of the funniest things that has ever happened to me, and ended up with a bunch of Christians telling me "You're going to hell!"

So lets start my story!

While I was taking a Emergency Medical Services class over this just ending summer, there came a time when I was approached by two classmates. Lets call them uhm... Bill and Jill? Well Bill and Jill were both interested in my views of religion, *I was guessing they wanted to convert me*. I told them I am "neutral", trying not to offend them. However, telling them I'm neutral was just as bad as saying that I was an Atheist. So after being scolded for being a "non-believer" after about an hour, I was told that I was going to burn in eternal hell, because "god has no place for neutral people in heaven!".

What amazed me most about all of this was that I never stated my views, ideas, or religious fundamentals on anyone, or specifically Bill or Jill because I am infact an Atheist who strongly believes in a persons right to believe what they want to. So why is it I seem to attract all the crazy bibble thumpers where ever I go? I could have easily said "go have a nice conversation with your imaginary friend" and been done with it.

I just wish those hard core bibble thumpers could keep their views to themselves.

P.S. - Where's seperation of Church and State when you need it!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-08-2011, 09:44 AM (This post was last modified: 14-08-2011 02:02 PM by Observer.)
RE: "You're going to hell!"
No problem man.
Hell is where the interesting people are.

Next time tell them they are going to HADES for not worshiping Zeus

Welcome to the forum. Want some freshly fried baby? I'm afraid I'm out of garlic-dip though after that vampire infestation...

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
14-08-2011, 10:00 AM
(14-08-2011 06:38 AM)BGrambo Wrote:  I just wish those hard core bibble thumpers could keep their views to themselves.

Not all of us can keep our views to ourselves. That's why we post on public forums!

But it seems so mean-spirited to tell somebody that they're going to Hell. I'm sure they justify the cruelty in their minds as "well, we were just trying to convert that person", though it's clear that they relish the thought of being in an exclusive club that you're not in and weren't making a real attempt to convert you. In The God Delusion, Richard Dawkins aired several letters written to himself and colleagues from the religious that were dripping with malice and hatred. Not all Xians are like that, but surely some of them are... and they all claim to have God living in their hearts. It's strange how such a God changes some lives and not others, eh?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-08-2011, 10:29 AM
Why are they attracted to you?
Could be where you live is especially crammed with religious types.
Or, more likely, you look inviting. Some people carry a forbidding expression, while others wear open-mindedness on their faces. Salesmen of every stripe are intimidated by the former, drawn to the latter.
Cultivate a scowl.*

(*Warning: it will give you wrinkles!)

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
14-08-2011, 08:56 PM
When christians threaten me with hell, I tell them that going to hell doesn't sound so bad because it would show that my earthly life had "meaning" after all.
14-08-2011, 09:02 PM
So today while washing my truck, I got a visit from two of those biker mormons that you see once in awhile. They offered to help wash my truck, but I refused. They attempted at creating a conversation with me about what I like to do, if I'm in college, and what I am studying. I went on to tell them about my epigenetic research I do and they seemed "stunned". I thought it was quite funny. They asked if I cared to go to their church with them on Wednesday, but I simply refused stating I was an Atheist. They asked "why do you not believe in god", since I am still angry about the last religious encounter I made a mean response of "I stopped having imaginary friends when I was 5".

Oh man were they so mad.
[+] 3 users Like BGrambo's post
14-08-2011, 10:25 PM
I'm not going to hell. Apparently I'm already there.

Few days ago sitting in the school library reading The God Delusion (for the 50th time), not talking/looking at anyone. Totally immersed in the book.

Then this girl come up to me and starts with the whole, "You're an Atheist? How can you not believe!?" and all that jazz. I tell her why and we have the usual debate and such and we get around to the subject of praying and miracles. When she brought this up I gave a small laugh and asked for one case where praying has changed something and it was only the praying itself that did it.

She couldn't.

But yets she still goes on about how praying has changed people and the world. Then I got an idea. I asked her if she honestly believes that. "Yes!" So I offered her a bet. You can pray all you want for my "soul" and to "God" that over night I will be converted to "see the light of Christ" and become a believer. If it happened i would deem it a miracle and set about using my knowledge of the bable to spread "the word of the lord." If not, she owes me $100.

Guess who's $100 richer? Cool

I asked her why she thinks It didn't work. Apparently it didn't work because, "Satan is buried to deep inside my soul." "So I'm going to hell am I?" I asked.

Well. . . you know the answer. Le's just say I have a good old chuckle everytime we pass in the courtyard. The look on her face is priceless. Big Grin

«Είμα Ανθρώπου. Είμαι όλοι για μένα. Δεν υπάρχουν Θεοί».
Ωμέγα Γάμμα
[+] 2 users Like Omega Gamma's post
15-08-2011, 12:42 AM
I have cultivated quite a nice scowl these days...

I run into quite a lot of the religious folks... but I'm a target, I'm president of the local MAAF organization (Military Association of Atheist Freethinkers). They see my face on the on base commercial.

Also, having a t-shirt that says 'This is what an atheist looks like' probably doesn't help.

[Image: 1471821-futurama_bender_s_big_score_imag...er-1-1.jpg]
15-08-2011, 01:18 AM

(14-08-2011 06:38 AM)BGrambo Wrote:  I just wish those hard core bibble thumpers could keep their views to themselves.

The entire premise of "separation of church and state" actually gives those hard core bibble thumpers the freedom to express their views, and provides protection from state run church's. Like the church of England for instance or the church of Rome, the scariest one of them all. The founders broke away from an institutionalized form of religion, wanting nothing to do with the state run system. The founders were God fearing and constructed a constitution based on His immutable laws.

God Bless America or any other country that allows the freedoms granted in the United States Constitution. But if you really want "separation of church and state" then consider China. This is were the state run church keeps a heavy hand on those who would preach the Gospel and suppresses the "hard core bibble thumpers" underground in fear for their freedom, well being and safety. You could also try most any country in the middle east, but I wouldn't recommend it.

(14-08-2011 10:25 PM)Omega Gamma Wrote:  Few days ago sitting in the school library reading The God Delusion (for the 50th time), not talking/looking at anyone. Totally immersed in the book.
Isn't believing that everything just happened by mindless, unintelligent, random chance, just as delusional as believing something greater than yourself actually created everything. Huh
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Hunted By A Freak's post
15-08-2011, 01:52 AM
(15-08-2011 01:18 AM)Hunted By A Freak Wrote:  

The entire premise of "separation of church and state" actually gives those hard core bibble thumpers the freedom to express their views, and provides protection from state run church's. Like the church of England for instance or the church of Rome, the scariest one of them all. The founders broke away from an institutionalized form of religion, wanting nothing to do with the state run system. The founders were God fearing and constructed a constitution based on His immutable laws.

God Bless America or any other country that allows the freedoms granted in the United States Constitution. But if you really want "separation of church and state" then consider China. This is were the state run church keeps a heavy hand on those who would preach the Gospel and suppresses the "hard core bibble thumpers" underground in fear for their freedom, well being and safety. You could also try most any country in the middle east, but I wouldn't recommend it.

(14-08-2011 10:25 PM)Omega Gamma Wrote:  Few days ago sitting in the school library reading The God Delusion (for the 50th time), not talking/looking at anyone. Totally immersed in the book.
Isn't believing that everything just happened by mindless, unintelligent, random chance, just as delusional as believing something greater than yourself actually created everything. Huh

Yes, mindless random chance and what has followed, is not all that easy to swallow.
Conversely, the notion that a perfectly good, omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent being that loves all of us exists seems even wilder. Perhaps we need some form of compromise when it comes to those infernal eternal questions. Angel