"You're going to hell!"

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
08-09-2011, 11:07 AM
RE: "You're going to hell!"
(08-09-2011 10:27 AM)theophilus Wrote:  
(07-09-2011 08:44 PM)nontheocrat Wrote:  At one time I can be given a death sentence for eating shellfish, the next I am allowed to eat anything not previously offered to idols.
Where in the Bible is there a death penalty for eating shellfish? I know it was forbidden under the Mosaic law but I don't recall ever reading anything about a person being sentenced to death for it.

What is the general sentence for sinning/breaking God's rules? A ticket to heaven? Or eternal damnation?

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-09-2011, 11:53 AM
(08-09-2011 10:27 AM)theophilus Wrote:  
(07-09-2011 08:44 PM)nontheocrat Wrote:  At one time I can be given a death sentence for eating shellfish, the next I am allowed to eat anything not previously offered to idols.
Where in the Bible is there a death penalty for eating shellfish? I know it was forbidden under the Mosaic law but I don't recall ever reading anything about a person being sentenced to death for it.

Leviticus 11 says that eating any seafood without fins or scales is an abomination, the same word is used to describe having homosexual sex and having sex with a minstrating woman.

Either way, surely not even you can deny that under the Old Testament eating shellfish is a sin and the wages of sin is death. My point here is that under the Old Testament eating shrimp is a sin while the Apostal Paul says anything not previously offered to idols is alright. If the biblical god were real he is guilty of changing the rules on a whim.

“There is no sin except stupidity.” Oscar Wilde
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-09-2011, 12:17 PM
(08-09-2011 11:53 AM)nontheocrat Wrote:  If the biblical god were real he is guilty of changing the rules on a whim.

Or just really crappy at making sure he has no false representatives.

MY FRIENDS! The Great Samuel L. Jackson, awesomeness be his name, has decreed that it is basically the same thing to give a woman a foot massage, or cunnilingus! The Great Samuel L. Jackson, awesomeness be his name, has decreed this, so that we know it's totally cool to give cunnilingus to your bosses wife!

*ahem* Sorry, no idea what just came over me...

...nah, that joke is too easy.
[+] 1 user Likes Sines's post
09-09-2011, 10:45 AM
(08-09-2011 11:53 AM)nontheocrat Wrote:  If the biblical god were real he is guilty of changing the rules on a whim.

When God changes the rules it is always for a good reason even if we can't understand what that reason is.

http://www.christiandoctrinediscussion.c...ament.html

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
09-09-2011, 10:53 AM
(09-09-2011 10:45 AM)theophilus Wrote:  

When God changes the rules it is always for a good reason even if we can't understand what that reason is.

http://www.christiandoctrinediscussion.c...ament.html

So you admit God changes his (presumably) perfect rules? How can an omniscient, omnipotent being create imperfect rules?

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
09-09-2011, 11:04 AM
(09-09-2011 10:53 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  So you admit God changes his (presumably) perfect rules? How can an omniscient, omnipotent being create imperfect rules?
All the rules he gives are perfect but some are given only certain people or are only in effect for a certain time. The link in my post explains this in more detail.

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
09-09-2011, 01:36 PM
(09-09-2011 11:04 AM)theophilus Wrote:  
(09-09-2011 10:53 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  So you admit God changes his (presumably) perfect rules? How can an omniscient, omnipotent being create imperfect rules?
All the rules he gives are perfect but some are given only certain people or are only in effect for a certain time. The link in my post explains this in more detail.

So all of the rules are perfect as long as you take into account the time at which they were issued? Where in the bible does it say that the rules can change with time depending on how you interpret it? Or is your only reason for the rules changing someones interpretation of this?

—Thomas Henry Huxley
10-09-2011, 03:25 PM

My response to 'You're going to hell' is always 'Cool'.

Because frankly, if that's true, all the interesting people are going to be in hell.
Quote this message in a reply
10-09-2011, 08:28 PM

(10-09-2011 03:25 PM)Bacchanalian Wrote:  My response to 'You're going to hell' is always 'Cool'.

Because frankly, if that's true, all the interesting people are going to be in hell.

That is true, and honestly, hell sounds like the neighbors below you always throwing a party.

Speaking of going to hell, the best way I've been told was while riding the train to work. I was reading The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins and the person next to me asks what I'm reading. So I show him the cover. His response? "Your going to burn in eternal hell fire while having the flesh picked from your bones for all eternity". Needless to say I found another seat. Guy looked like he wanted to kill me.
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2011, 04:06 AM
(09-09-2011 01:36 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(09-09-2011 11:04 AM)theophilus Wrote:  

So all of the rules are perfect as long as you take into account the time at which they were issued? Where in the bible does it say that the rules can change with time depending on how you interpret it? Or is your only reason for the rules changing someones interpretation of this?

Hey Theo, I read your link. Sounds to me like you have a very active imagination. If we have a book of rules, yet decide to only obey some of them some of the time, how useful is the book of rules? It makes it worth jack shit. And...are you going to answer bearded dude's question? I can't wait to read how you will try to worm your way out of this one!