You're going to turn to google for answers???

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-04-2014, 05:52 AM
You're going to turn to google for answers???
So I was having a debate with someone a little while ago on the context of something in the bible(can't remember exactly what but its irrelevant to the story) so I went on to say something and I stopped and said "let me check a reliable source before I say something thats not true". So before I could even search the damn thing she goes "you're gonna check the internet that's not a reliable source anyone can right something down doesn't mean its true." Facepalm LOL oh the irony.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like MrKrispy601's post
03-04-2014, 06:04 AM
RE: You're going to turn to google for answers???
(03-04-2014 05:52 AM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  So I was having a debate with someone a little while ago on the context of something in the bible(can't remember exactly what but its irrelevant to the story) so I went on to say something and I stopped and said "let me check a reliable source before I say something thats not true". So before I could even search the damn thing she goes "you're gonna check the internet that's not a reliable source anyone can right something down doesn't mean its true." Facepalm LOL oh the irony.

Variable and conveniently applied skepticism gets real old, real fast... Dodgy

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
03-04-2014, 06:18 AM
(03-04-2014 05:52 AM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  So I was having a debate with someone a little while ago on the context of something in the bible(can't remember exactly what but its irrelevant to the story) so I went on to say something and I stopped and said "let me check a reliable source before I say something thats not true". So before I could even search the damn thing she goes "you're gonna check the internet that's not a reliable source anyone can right something down doesn't mean its true." Facepalm LOL oh the irony.

Depending on the internet source it could or could not be credible. For example if you want to know the catholic stance on something the vatican or US bishops websites are credible. I use them all the time to shoot down some of the things my catholic wife and friends come up with or when I have issues with the kids school. Catholics are not supposed to believe in the biblical creation story literally, one of my favorite things to point out.
03-04-2014, 06:19 AM
(03-04-2014 06:04 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  

Variable and conveniently applied skepticism gets real old, real fast... Dodgy

Yes especially when not 2 seconds before they were going on about how the bible is the word of God...because it says so.
03-04-2014, 06:21 AM
(03-04-2014 06:18 AM)wazzel Wrote:  

Depending on the internet source it could or could not be credible. For example if you want to know the catholic stance on something the vatican or US bishops websites are credible. I use them all the time to shoot down some of the things my catholic wife and friends come up with or when I have issues with the kids school. Catholics are not supposed to believe in the biblical creation story literally, one of my favorite things to point out.

Oh of course any skeptic person knows that not every source is credible but to argue that your bible is infallible because it says so in your bible and then shoot down ANY source from the internet that would prove you wrong is plain ignorant.
03-04-2014, 06:27 AM

This is just a new way they can try to dismiss any dissenting view point. It gets added to their arsenal of
  • "Those are just Satan's lies"
  • "You're going to trust the word of man over the word of God?"
  • "How can you understand an infinitely smart being?"
  • "SATANBEGONE!!1!"
03-04-2014, 06:27 AM
http://scholar.google.com/

Yeah, because peer reviewed papers of empirical research is so much more accurate than bronze age stories passed by word of mouth for generations. Dodgy

I ran into this in the last "debate" I was in on this site. Alphapha decided that the peer reviewed studies I linked him to weren't valid because I used Google to find them. People like this simply aren't going to listen to anything. They will do mental backflips through flaming hoops to avoid the cognitive dissonance that comes with being face to face with evidence that you are wrong. It's simply intellectually dishonest, and you can't reason with someone like that.

More and more, I'm thinking they just need a smack upside the head.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
03-04-2014, 06:41 AM
(03-04-2014 06:21 AM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  
(03-04-2014 06:18 AM)wazzel Wrote:  Depending on the internet source it could or could not be credible. For example if you want to know the catholic stance on something the vatican or US bishops websites are credible. I use them all the time to shoot down some of the things my catholic wife and friends come up with or when I have issues with the kids school. Catholics are not supposed to believe in the biblical creation story literally, one of my favorite things to point out.

Oh of course any skeptic person knows that not every source is credible but to argue that your bible is infallible because it says so in your bible and then shoot down ANY source from the internet that would prove you wrong is plain ignorant.

You can not use an item as it's own source of defence.
03-04-2014, 06:51 AM
They're just jealous cause the internet is more impressive than anything they've ever seen their god do.
[+] 1 user Likes CleverUsername's post
03-04-2014, 08:47 AM
With the internet:
1) we know the authors of what we read (or else we can file it under "unreliable" and move on)
2) we can choose credible sources and ignore questionable or non-credible sources
3) we can vet from where a given source got its information and how it arrived at its conclusions
4) we know the dates of material that we consider reliable so we can assess whether it still makes sense currently
5) zero magic is included in our evaluation of what is reliable

With the Bible:

Yeah, that's about it. Drinking Beverage

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post