You're hosting a small dinner party

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-04-2017, 07:27 AM
You're hosting a small dinner party
You're hosting a small dinner party.

You are allowed to invite any three people you want (only three), alive or dead (but please, no characters from any Holy Books and no religious characters like the Pope Smile).

Who do you invite, and why would you invite them?

I'm sure given enough time I might be able to think of others - but to kick things off:

Carl Sagan: I could listen to him...for a long time indeed

Bob Lazar: So, you say you worked on an alien craft at Area 51...

Christopher Hitchens: I admire the man immensely and I'm gutted he's gone

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” ~ Oscar Wilde
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 9 users Like SeaJay's post
26-04-2017, 07:47 AM
RE: You're hosting a small dinner party
For some reason I feel inclined to keep the members of my dinner party reserved for the people that are alive today.

My very first pick would be David Gilmour (of Pink Floyd). He doesn't give that many interviews but of the few he does I would love to be able to sit down and just talk to him for a while. I picked up my first guitar at age 13 because of him. He has lived a life that few can imagine and has made some of the best music (as a member of Pink Floyd and solo) of my generation.

Neil deGrasse Tyson. Since you brought up Carl Sagan I personally think Tyson would be a good choice since he and Tyson have a connection. Not only a connection but Tyson is the Sagan of this generation. He has a way of communication that allows for everyone to be involved. I could listen to him all day (and sometimes have).

Richard Dawkins. He has a very direct way of explaining the "how and why" of religions. I don't need to tell any of you why it would be an interesting conversation since I imagine that most of us here probably share similar views.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
[+] 2 users Like RearViewMirror's post
26-04-2017, 07:50 AM
Eric Arthur Blair

Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Daniel Clement Dennett III

In that order.

With Harry Lee Kuan Yew as back up.

Why these chaps?

I think that's self-explanatory.

Yes

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
26-04-2017, 07:52 AM
I could do with an evening of laughing until tears run down our cheeks. Jon Stuart, John Oliver and my (deceased) husband. Those three will have me in stitches.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 7 users Like Dom's post
26-04-2017, 07:59 AM
Can I also invite translators? Wink

This is such a hard question. I would choose all women since their histories were often not recorded well - I would love to fill in the blanks.

Artemisia Gentileschi

Cleopatra or Hatshepsut

Elizabeth I

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 6 users Like ShadowProject's post
26-04-2017, 08:12 AM
Michael Myers, Jason Voorhees and Donald Trump.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Popeye's Pappy's post
26-04-2017, 08:36 AM
(26-04-2017 08:12 AM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  Michael Myers, Jason Voorhees and Donald Trump.

I had given some consideration about putting Donald Trump into my list but thought better of it. I'm afraid that I (or he for that matter) couldn't have a rational discussion. He... because he is incapable of actually having a rational conversation and I because I do not think that I could hold back my sheer and utter disdain for the man (I use that term loosely) that holds office at this very moment. I would say what is on my mind and maybe that's exactly what needs to be said. But it wouldn't matter since he is such a narcissist and would dismiss any argument that doesn't line up with his fucked up agenda. That in turn would dissolve into a discussion that would go downhill faster than a sinking rock. So no... Donald Trump and I couldn't be in the same room. I like to think of myself as very open minded. But there comes a point that is just impossible with some people. He happens to be one of them I'm afraid.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
26-04-2017, 08:41 AM
(26-04-2017 08:36 AM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  
(26-04-2017 08:12 AM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  Michael Myers, Jason Voorhees and Donald Trump.

I had given some consideration about putting Donald Trump into my list but thought better of it. I'm afraid that I (or he for that matter) couldn't have a rational discussion. He... because he is incapable of actually having a rational conversation and I because I do not think that I could hold back my sheer and utter disdain for the man (I use that term loosely) that holds office at this very moment. I would say what is on my mind and maybe that's exactly what needs to be said. But it wouldn't matter since he is such a narcissist and would dismiss any argument that doesn't line up with his fucked up agenda. That in turn would dissolve into a discussion that would go downhill faster than a sinking rock. So no... Donald Trump and I couldn't be in the same room. I like to think of myself as very open minded. But there comes a point that is just impossible with some people. He happens to be one of them I'm afraid.

I was thinking of Trump, Merkel and the pope. But I am not allowed the pope so the whole thing wouldn't be any fun.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
26-04-2017, 08:47 AM
(26-04-2017 08:36 AM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  

Discussion? Take a second look at my list. I'm not planning on any discussion. Blood curdling screams maybe but no discussion. Once everyone arrives I'm planning on quietly excusing myself so nature can run its course.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Popeye's Pappy's post
26-04-2017, 08:49 AM
(26-04-2017 07:27 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  You're hosting a small dinner party.

You are allowed to invite any three people you want (only three), alive or dead (but please, no characters from any Holy Books and no religious characters like the Pope Smile).

Who do you invite, and why would you invite them?

I'm sure given enough time I might be able to think of others - but to kick things off:

Carl Sagan: I could listen to him...for a long time indeed

Bob Lazar: So, you say you worked on an alien craft at Area 51...

Christopher Hitchens: I admire the man immensely and I'm gutted he's gone

Sagan, well because, SAGAN, what else needs to be said?
Hitchens, well, not sure he'd still be a drinker if he had survived his cancer, but would have loved to have had a drink with him and picked his brain and picked on him for his Oxford lexicon.
My best friend Bob, not famous, but I have not met him, he lives in Australia I live in NC, met him 16 years ago on line and we had talked on Skype almost every single day since. He had a stroke 2 years ago and we never got to meet in person. Timing and money always seemed to get in the way.

Bob is a huge reason I have the confidence to challenge theists and even other atheists online. He was really the first friend I had that encouraged me to be myself and not fear other's claims. He unfortunately is in a long term nursing home and cannot speak the way he used to and cant operate a cell phone or lap top without help.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Brian37's post