You're lukewarm!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-11-2014, 09:51 AM
RE: You're lukewarm!
All I got from this is that god wants to eat hot or cold souls. If you are lukewarm, you might spend some time in he'll. It's god's microwave.

When God said he was preparing a home for you, he forgot to mention that it is in his belly.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Rahn127's post
06-11-2014, 09:56 AM
I'm familiar with this part of Revelations. I think it's grossly misused and it develops a lot of contradictions among those fundies that believe in the OSAS theology that Baptists in particular seem to embrace. You think you're saved and then someone starts accusing you of being "lukewarm" and before you know it, you now feel that you were not sincere enough when you prayed the sinner's prayer and you have to redo it with more sincerity to assure your salvation...
[+] 1 user Likes Plan 9 from OS's post
06-11-2014, 02:09 PM
My first name is Luke. This adds nothing to the discussion but I felt it was a necessary evil. Which also happens to be my middle name.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
06-11-2014, 02:39 PM
(06-11-2014 07:28 AM)LadyWallFlower Wrote:  So, I don't know if you guys heard this sermon too, but Revelation 3:15-16 talks about being lukewarm, and how it's better to either be hot or cold.

Even god hates agnostics.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
06-11-2014, 02:43 PM
Lukewarm... it's another meme designed to frighten people. Any time they're feeling even small doubts they're 'lukewarm'. So now it becomes a stark choice - either you leave and never come back, or you stay and suppress your doubt. If you're a Christian experiencing doubt you don't wanna leave, you're still a Christian. But now you're scared that you're lukewarm so you drink the wine and chew the wafer even more fervently, possibly convincing others that you're a *really* good Christian... so it makes the church as a whole even stronger in that sense 'cos everyone else who has doubts doesn't wanna talk about them and sees everyone else as hectically good Christians... If you *do* actually leave, then they can easily use another meme that you have fallen into sin etc blah blah...

These guys are so damn good at designing memes to take advantage of fear and guilt... Dodgy

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
06-11-2014, 03:05 PM
(06-11-2014 02:43 PM)morondog Wrote:  Lukewarm... it's another meme designed to frighten people. Any time they're feeling even small doubts they're 'lukewarm'. So now it becomes a stark choice - either you leave and never come back, or you stay and suppress your doubt. If you're a Christian experiencing doubt you don't wanna leave, you're still a Christian. But now you're scared that you're lukewarm so you drink the wine and chew the wafer even more fervently, possibly convincing others that you're a *really* good Christian... so it makes the church as a whole even stronger in that sense 'cos everyone else who has doubts doesn't wanna talk about them and sees everyone else as hectically good Christians... If you *do* actually leave, then they can easily use another meme that you have fallen into sin etc blah blah...

These guys are so damn good at designing memes to take advantage of fear and guilt... Dodgy

What got me was when they'd say you have to believe "without a shadow of a doubt." As a kid I would pray every day because I was so damn scared of going to hell. I prayed a little less as I got older, but the whole "shadow of a doubt" thing screwed with me.

"Most people are other people.
Their thoughts are someone else's opinions,
their lives a mimicry,
their passions a quotation."
-Oscar Wilde
[+] 1 user Likes LadyWallFlower's post
06-11-2014, 03:13 PM
(06-11-2014 03:05 PM)LadyWallFlower Wrote:  What got me was when they'd say you have to believe "without a shadow of a doubt." As a kid I would pray every day because I was so damn scared of going to hell. I prayed a little less as I got older, but the whole "shadow of a doubt" thing screwed with me.

Well I knew I was screwed from the get go, because they said proper genuine faith could move mountains and I never moved a fucken thing Tongue

Edit: I did try on a few nearby hills though... Nada.

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
06-11-2014, 03:54 PM
(06-11-2014 03:13 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(06-11-2014 03:05 PM)LadyWallFlower Wrote:  

Well I knew I was screwed from the get go, because they said proper genuine faith could move mountains and I never moved a fucken thing Tongue

Edit: I did try on a few nearby hills though... Nada.

Sounds like you weren't even a real christian.

Wink

"Most people are other people.
Their thoughts are someone else's opinions,
their lives a mimicry,
their passions a quotation."
-Oscar Wilde
[+] 1 user Likes LadyWallFlower's post
06-11-2014, 09:40 PM
(06-11-2014 03:54 PM)LadyWallFlower Wrote:  Sounds like you weren't even a real christian.

Wink

Funny that. If faith really could move mountains you'd think there'd be a high demand for really good Christians in the building industry... It's a seductive idea... that if you believe hard enough the thing that you're believing will come true. Seductive and completely untestable - because if it doesn't come true you obviously didn't believe hard enough. Better luck next time lil' guy. Now DON'T WANK.

[+] 2 users Like morondog's post