You're taking the bible too literal...your response.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-04-2012, 02:02 AM
You're taking the bible too literal...your response.
OH MY FUCKING FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER IF I HEAR THAT ONE MORE FUCKING TIME!

Sorry, I need to vent. I get so fn sick of that lame premeditated response.

And the what pisses me off more is the fact that these fuckn theist don't realize it's because of science that we understand the universe more than ever. And they are evolving the bible to fit science...LOL.

Anyway, I would like to hear some of your retorts to this bullshit reply which dips the the conversation into the grey area.

Forget Jesus. Stars died so you could live.-Lawrence Krauss

For god loved the world so much he tortured his only begotten son, gave him a 3 day nap only to wake up in ultimate awesomeness and called it a sacrifice.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Atheist Chiefs fan!'s post
03-04-2012, 02:08 AM
RE: You're taking the bible too literal...your response.
(03-04-2012 02:02 AM)Atheist Chiefs fan! Wrote:  OH MY FUCKING FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER IF I HEAR THAT ONE MORE FUCKING TIME!

And the what pisses me off more is the fact that these fuckn theist don't realize it's because of science that we understand the universe more than ever. And they are evolving the bible to fit science...LOL.

Anyway, I would like to hear some of your retorts to this bullshit reply which dips the the conversation into the grey area.
Dude..... Take a breather...... calm yerself....
Okay now... Yes ... the world as we understand it today is a direct result of science... not the Bloody Bible....

It's just a clear and distinctive clarificantion... (hope i spelled that right.. *drunk*).... that the world and the universe that we are apart of is ever evolving .. ever changing mystery that we are striving to understand...

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
03-04-2012, 02:13 AM
So which is it? If we take the bible figuratively then most people would say the entire story of creation is metaphoracally speaking, or a matter of sense, or perhaps even that the 10 commandments are "Ya know, just kind of a generalization of things." or that maybe the golden rule is "pretty much true, but since it's not to be taken literally then it's not really meant to be followed through and through." but if you bring that up you'll hear... "Well, you're just being silly now because you know that those are supposed to be taken seriously." ok well, if you follow one thing "seriously" shouldn't you follow "all of them seriously?" and not cherry pick with the ones that you only agree with?

If we are to take the bible literally to 100% to the T then we end up with a lot of contradictions and other things that don't make sense.

After all.. if we're supposed to follow it literally then it's safe to assume we shouldn't eat anything like shellfish or pork (and some people actually listen to that) when we know that stuff was recommended back then because people didn't understand health and safety issues all too well. Light came first, but the source of light and the medium of light (photons) came later and that the earth was at some point bare and void and came before the sun.

The most common argument I hear is that it either SHOULD be taken literally because the argument of taking it "figuratively speaking" means you aren't really following god's word..... OR that if you take it literally then you can't understand the philosophical perspective that it was intended to be. But if it's open to interpretation by every single person, how can you really stay consistent?

How many denominations are there from a handful of books from how long ago now?
[+] 2 users Like Logisch's post
03-04-2012, 02:17 AM (This post was last modified: 03-04-2012 02:27 AM by Atheist Chiefs fan!.)
(03-04-2012 02:08 AM)ddrew Wrote:  
(03-04-2012 02:02 AM)Atheist Chiefs fan! Wrote:  OH MY FUCKING FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER IF I HEAR THAT ONE MORE FUCKING TIME!

Dude..... Take a breather...... calm yerself....
Okay now... Yes ... the world as we understand it today is a direct result of science... not the Bloody Bible....

It's just a clear and distinctive clarificantion... (hope i spelled that right.. *drunk*).... that the world and the universe that we are apart of is ever evolving .. ever changing mystery that we are striving to understand...
It just gets old man. It gets fn old.

We need to address this. We need to address this 'literal' bullshit the fuckn theist use. It's what they do when they get backed into a corner.

(03-04-2012 02:13 AM)Logisch Wrote:  So which is it? If we take the bible figuratively then most people would say the entire story of creation is metaphoracally speaking, or a matter of sense, or perhaps even that the 10 commandments are "Ya know, just kind of a generalization of things." or that maybe the golden rule is "pretty much true, but since it's not to be taken literally then it's not really meant to be followed through and through." but if you bring that up you'll hear... "Well, you're just being silly now because you know that those are supposed to be taken seriously." ok well, if you follow one thing "seriously" shouldn't you follow "all of them seriously?" and not cherry pick with the ones that you only agree with?

If we are to take the bible literally to 100% to the T then we end up with a lot of contradictions and other things that don't make sense.

After all.. if we're supposed to follow it literally then it's safe to assume we shouldn't eat anything like shellfish or pork (and some people actually listen to that) when we know that stuff was recommended back then because people didn't understand health and safety issues all too well. Light came first, but the source of light and the medium of light (photons) came later and that the earth was at some point bare and void and came before the sun.

The most common argument I hear is that it either SHOULD be taken literally because the argument of taking it "figuratively speaking" means you aren't really following god's word..... OR that if you take it literally then you can't understand the philosophical perspective that it was intended to be. But if it's open to interpretation by every single person, how can you really stay consistent?

How many denominations are there from a handful of books from how long ago now?
Nice.

And there are over 35,000 denominations of christianity.

Forget Jesus. Stars died so you could live.-Lawrence Krauss

For god loved the world so much he tortured his only begotten son, gave him a 3 day nap only to wake up in ultimate awesomeness and called it a sacrifice.
03-04-2012, 02:30 AM
Well they do it in the reverse fashion Logisch mentioned as well. It depends on the particular theist.

The you are taking the bible too literally isn't a hard argument... if a Christian says it that means they're either picking and choosing or admitting SOME of it is metaphor and some is legit... but that person is picking the parts they say are right; there is also the cases in which the person blindly follows their preachers words.
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
03-04-2012, 08:02 AM
Well, I guess it really depends on which part of the Bible you're talking about.

There are some parts that are stories. There are some parts that are historical data. There are some parts that are visions and apocalyptic language.

Moreover, the Bible isn't a science book, and it shouldn't be held to a scientific standard. God never said that His Word was literally inerrant. He said that His Word is divinely inspired and is useful for teaching, reproof, correction, and training in righteous. No where does it say that it's useful in teaching science.

There is a gigantic difference between "inspired" and "inerrant".

[Image: vjp09.gif]
03-04-2012, 08:12 AM
(03-04-2012 02:08 AM)ddrew Wrote:  *drunk*

Are you ever otherwise? Tongue

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-04-2012, 08:27 AM
(03-04-2012 08:02 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  God never said that His Word was literally inerrant. He said that His Word is divinely inspired and is useful for teaching, reproof, correction, and training in righteous. No where does it say that it's useful in teaching science.
God said his Word is divinely inspired..¿?
Inspired by whom? He's God!
Inspired by God himself?

Me no entender...

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-04-2012, 08:28 AM
(03-04-2012 08:27 AM)KVron Wrote:  
(03-04-2012 08:02 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  God never said that His Word was literally inerrant. He said that His Word is divinely inspired and is useful for teaching, reproof, correction, and training in righteous. No where does it say that it's useful in teaching science.
God said his Word is divinely inspired..¿?
Inspired by God himself?

Me no entender...

Yes. Scripture is inspired by Him to the author.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
03-04-2012, 08:47 AM
(03-04-2012 08:28 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(03-04-2012 08:27 AM)KVron Wrote:  God said his Word is divinely inspired..¿?
Inspired by God himself?

Me no entender...

Yes. Scripture is inspired by Him to the author.

I approve of this part of the above message: "God never said".

Any accusation that I have quoted KC out context will be met with the retort that all bible quotes, literal or figurative are, by definition, taken out of context.

That the bible itself is a Con Text, is purely coincidental