You should try eating the Paleolithic Diet

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-02-2014, 01:25 PM
RE: You should try eating the Paleolithic Diet
My sister is trying this, and in addition she incorporated the ideas of Diane Kress (a dietician) who wrote "The Metabolism Miracle" (which has some good science behind it), and Caldwell Esselstyn MD (Cleveland Clinic) "Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease". She's always been very active, but a little on the "chunky" side. No more. She's looking great, (and has tons more energy).

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
02-02-2014, 01:40 PM
I don't support Paleo because it seems a bit like a pseudo science religion, especially with the idea that some food is 'clean' and presumably other stuff 'dirty' - seems a bit elitest too plus too much meat isn't good for environment, for one thing ... or for bones - especially if you're female.

*If* paleo ppl were fit during their short lifespan, does that prove *anything*? They could've been fitter on a more mixed diet - how can we tell? And they couldve died from heart attacks if they were able to life longer, or with weakened bones.

Also, I think it's mentally, physically and socially healthier to focus on eating what you're hungry for and not too much ... but that being 'chunky' or 'skinny' is not an indication of either health or beauty - you can be fit n fat n sexy - or not. Depends on exercise, genes, attitude, style and how you eat.

Moodie x
02-02-2014, 01:46 PM
Yeah. The vast majority of foods listed are not paleolithic. So there's that.
(which, fair enough, is acknowledged)

It would appear instead that you're suggesting less processed, more vegetarian diet.

If you're not eating soy or legumes or dairy, where is your protein coming from? Red meat? That's... not really all that great for you.

Weight loss is almost entirely a matter calories in/calories out; what those calories are derived from has very little effect on weight. Health, perhaps. Weight, no.

Good diet advice is all well and good but there is almost no industry on earth (and oh, is it ever an industry) more faddish than food. I mean, come on. Those "sources" are... yeah. Not sources.

Literally the point of eating grain is that it's easy. That's what causes problems; there's no secret to eating healthily, you just have to have a little knowledge and a little discipline.

I can get that one could construct a parallel to the situation of some unfortunate few re: alcohol, in that there are outliers to whom the line between acceptable and unacceptable use/dependence might as well not exist (if you eat just processed starches then yes you will be unhealthy), but seriously? The vast majority of us don't need to be treating grain the way a recovering alcoholic treats alcohol. That's just silly.

... this is my signature!
02-02-2014, 01:59 PM
Im not really suggesting a vegetarian diet. However you can be vegetarian and paleo. Also i can't be vegetarian i could get no protein what so ever.

Not just that but fish,eggs,chicken, and white meat(pork). These are healthy sources of protein. I would say that i have no problems with red meat but one im a teenager so i might handle things differently and two it wouldn't be objective evidence. But I don't need soy at all.

Weight loss is almost entirely a matter calories in/calories out; what those calories are derived from has very little effect on weight. Health, perhaps. Weight, no.

This is true. Its just that when you eat some diet like paleo or vegan you tend to eat as much as you did on your junk food diet its just that the food you eat tends to have less calories.

The vast majority of us don't need to be treating grain the way a recovering alcoholic treats alcohol. That's just silly.
[/quote]
If you want to eat grain that's up to you. I got a little sick when i ate a bowl of cereal this weekend(at that moment it was starve or eat what you can) so i can't really handle grains like i used to. So if you can handle grains you have my respectBowing

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] ♪僕は恐怖の一定した状態に住んで、不幸、逃すもう?僕は、それはもう痛いときも気づかないと
02-02-2014, 02:08 PM
"I don't support Paleo because it seems a bit like a pseudo science religion, especially with the idea that some food is 'clean' and presumably other stuff 'dirty' - seems a bit elitest too plus too much meat isn't good for environment, for one thing ... or for bones - especially if you're female." Well too much of anything isn't really that good. Also i equal it like this 40% meat 40% fruits and vegetables. Keeps me in balance.

"*If* paleo ppl were fit during their short lifespan, does that prove *anything*? They could've been fitter on a more mixed diet - how can we tell?" And they couldve died from heart attacks if they were able to life longer, or with weakened bones.
Well to be fair with you if you put a slice of pizza in front of a caveman he would eat it. Humans would have eaten anything they could get their hands on. I really eat this way because of the dangers of soy and grains more then to be like a caveman.

Also, I think it's mentally, physically and socially healthier to focus on eating what you're hungry for and not too much ... but that being 'chunky' or 'skinny' is not an indication of either health or beauty - you can be fit n fat n sexy - or not. Depends on exercise, genes, attitude, style and how you eat.

I can't argue anything on this either. I was once fat and ugly, now im just uglyBig Grin but fit fat and sexy is possible, many nfl players are fat and in shape. Also beauty is in the eyes of the beholder so some female may think his fat is sexy.

Moodie x
[/quote]

02-02-2014, 02:24 PM
I loathe named diets, they always tend to turn eating into a chore and a responsibility and health into an ethical imperative, not to mention that many usually make of sadness, lack of energy or other potential psychological problems into a mere nutritional deficit.

If I have to chose between being chubby and making eating a job, I rather die from a heart attack

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 4 users Like nach_in's post
02-02-2014, 02:48 PM
(02-02-2014 02:24 PM)nach_in Wrote:  I loathe named diets, they always tend to turn eating into a chore and a responsibility and health into an ethical imperative, not to mention that many usually make of sadness, lack of energy or other potential psychological problems into a mere nutritional deficit.

If I have to chose between being chubby and making eating a job, I rather die from a heart attack

I love your post. Again man it's your choice.

[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
02-02-2014, 03:13 PM
There is little practical difference between the paleo diet and the low carb, low glycemic index diets that fatass prediabetic insulin-resistant fuckers been following for years. The anthropological case for it has been debunked many times over and is just a gimmick. But if it gets more people appreciating the need to follow a diet which keeps blood sugar low and stable, more power to the gimmick. Thumbsup

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
02-02-2014, 03:48 PM
(02-02-2014 03:13 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  There is little practical difference between the paleo diet and the low carb, low glycemic index diets that fatass prediabetic insulin-resistant fuckers been following for years. The anthropological case for it has been debunked many times over and is just a gimmick. But if it gets more people appreciating the need to follow a diet which keeps blood sugar low and stable, more power to the gimmick. Thumbsup

Well, sure.

But if you just tell people "EAT LESS SUGAR YO" then that has no cachet.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
02-02-2014, 04:00 PM
(02-02-2014 03:48 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(02-02-2014 03:13 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  There is little practical difference between the paleo diet and the low carb, low glycemic index diets that fatass prediabetic insulin-resistant fuckers been following for years. The anthropological case for it has been debunked many times over and is just a gimmick. But if it gets more people appreciating the need to follow a diet which keeps blood sugar low and stable, more power to the gimmick. Thumbsup

Well, sure.

But if you just tell people "EAT LESS SUGAR YO" then that has no cachet.

Not just that but it's what people promote. The health industry today says that pasta and bread is good for you when it really isn't. I you are going to eat any grain at all i would suggest oatmeal and rice. I see no beans or soy that is good for you. They may have health benefits but they also have as many weaknesses. Dairy is only good if it is from free roaming cows that eat grass.