You should try eating the Paleolithic Diet

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-02-2014, 04:06 PM
RE: You should try eating the Paleolithic Diet
(02-02-2014 04:00 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  Not just that but it's what people promote. The health industry today says that pasta and bread is good for you when it really isn't.

Uh, the likes of "paleo diet" and "atkins" are just as much part of the "health industry" insofar as hocking crap to the masses is concerned.

(02-02-2014 04:00 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  I you are going to eat any grain at all i would suggest oatmeal and rice. I see no beans or soy that is good for you. They may have health benefits but they also have as many weaknesses. Dairy is only good if it is from free roaming cows that eat grass.

I've never seen any credible evidence to back up such claims...

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-02-2014, 04:12 PM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2014 04:16 PM by GirlyMan.)
(02-02-2014 03:48 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(02-02-2014 03:13 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  There is little practical difference between the paleo diet and the low carb, low glycemic index diets that fatass prediabetic insulin-resistant fuckers been following for years. The anthropological case for it has been debunked many times over and is just a gimmick. But if it gets more people appreciating the need to follow a diet which keeps blood sugar low and stable, more power to the gimmick. Thumbsup

Well, sure.

But if you just tell people "EAT LESS SUGAR YO" then that has no cachet.

NO WHITE FLOUR either! White bread spikes my sugars even higher than sugar does.

I been following a blood sugar diet ever since my fatass was diagnosed as an insulin-resistant fatass prediabetic going on 10 years ago now. What that means is I use a blood sugar meter to measure my postprandial sugars. 2 hour postprandial > 120 mg/dl or 1 hour postprandial > 160 mg/dl means I don't eat that shit again.

Main difference I've found between my approach and the paleos is that 1) there is no reason to dismiss beans from my diet, their fiber content is so high that it attenuates the blood sugar release of the high carb starches. And 2) there is no reason to dismiss bread from my diet for similar reasons as long as it's been made from unprocessed grains instead of refined flours. Problem is only way to hold the unprocessed grains together to make bread is to use gluten. But I ain't gluten intolerant so it ain't a biggie for me.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
02-02-2014, 04:28 PM
(02-02-2014 04:12 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  NO WHITE FLOUR either! White bread spikes my sugars even higher than sugar does.

I been following a blood sugar diet ever since my fatass was diagnosed as an insulin-resistant fatass prediabetic going on 10 years ago now. What that means is I use a blood sugar meter to measure my postprandial sugars. 2 hour postprandial > 120 mg/dl or 1 hour postprandial > 160 mg/dl means I don't eat that shit again.

Main difference I've found between my approach and the paleos is that 1) there is no reason to dismiss beans from my diet, their fiber content is so high that it attenuates the blood sugar release of the high carb starches. And 2) there is no reason to dismiss bread from my diet for similar reasons as long as it's been made from unprocessed grains instead of refined flours. Problem is only way to hold the unprocessed grains together to make bread is to use gluten. But I ain't gluten intolerant so it ain't a biggie for me.

Thumbsup

Yes. But that makes sense and is medically grounded.

As opposed to "much paleo very trendy wow so buzzword". Which is a little less substantive.

[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
02-02-2014, 04:32 PM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2014 04:36 PM by Metazoa Zeke.)
(02-02-2014 04:06 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Uh, the likes of "paleo diet" and "atkins" are just as much part of the "health industry" insofar as hocking crap to the masses is concerned.

This is my fault I should have clarified.Blush I mean mainstream. Like our modern food pyramid. I never heard of the atkins diet. Not saying that people aren't trying to promote both but it's not as mainstream as the hail bread over vegetables pyramid

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1480510/

http://responsibletechnology.org/gmo-dan...glyphosate

http://www.mercola.com/article/soy/avoid_soy.htm

This is what i dug up so far. I aim to please so i made sure i found some sources. I must tell you that the second one isn't an ariticle but a list of articles that show the dangers of glyphosate which is found in soy. Hopefully it helps I aim to please YesAngel

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] ♪僕は恐怖の一定した状態に住んで、不幸、逃すもう?僕は、それはもう痛いときも気づかないと
02-02-2014, 04:46 PM
(02-02-2014 04:32 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  This is my fault I should have clarified.Blush I mean mainstream. Like our modern food pyramid. I never heard of the atkins diet. Not saying that people aren't trying to promote both but it's not as mainstream as the hail bread over vegetables pyramid

Notwithstanding that "grain" or even "bread" is a ludicrously over-broad generalisation. White flour vs whole grain is a night and day comparison...

(02-02-2014 04:32 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1480510/

... did you read this one? It gives a cautious endorsement of soy. Which is the opposite of your prior thesis.

(02-02-2014 04:32 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  http://responsibletechnology.org/gmo-dan...glyphosate

All well and good, but overreliance on pesticide is a thing nobody anywhere endorsed. Ever.

(02-02-2014 04:32 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  http://www.mercola.com/article/soy/avoid_soy.htm

Which is a shop, so, that right there is a clear and massive conflict of interest...

(02-02-2014 04:32 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  This is what i dug up so far. I aim to please so i made sure i found some sources. I must tell you that the second one isn't an ariticle but a list of articles that show the dangers of glyphosate which is found in soy. Hopefully it helps I aim to please YesAngel

Right, but the actual thesis of the first two is not "soy is bad". At all. The third concerns itself (with some odd tangents) in large part with some possible issues of industrial-scale processing.

02-02-2014, 04:48 PM
(02-02-2014 04:32 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  
(02-02-2014 04:06 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Uh, the likes of "paleo diet" and "atkins" are just as much part of the "health industry" insofar as hocking crap to the masses is concerned.

This is my fault I should have clarified.Blush I mean mainstream. Like our modern food pyramid. I never heard of the atkins diet. Not saying that people aren't trying to promote both but it's not as mainstream as the hail bread over vegetables pyramid

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1480510/

http://responsibletechnology.org/gmo-dan...glyphosate

http://www.mercola.com/article/soy/avoid_soy.htm

This is what i dug up so far. I aim to please so i made sure i found some sources. I must tell you that the second one isn't an ariticle but a list of articles that show the dangers of glyphosate which is found in soy. Hopefully it helps I aim to please YesAngel

There are good reasons to avoid soybeans because of their phytoestrogenic properties. But I see no good reason to avoid proper beans.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
02-02-2014, 05:04 PM

Notwithstanding that "grain" or even "bread" is a ludicrously over-broad generalisation. White flour vs whole grain is a night and day comparison...
Ya whole grain is safter then white flour but neither can beat vegetables like this food pyramid suggest[Image: USDA_Food_Pyramid.gif]

... did you read this one? It gives a cautious endorsement of soy. Which is the opposite of your prior thesis.
Yes actually. I have said that soy has health benefits, the problem with soy is that if it was really that good for you their should be no caution besides cooking it.

All well and good, but overreliance on pesticide is a thing nobody anywhere endorsed. Ever.

i was more going towards gylophosate, I must be honest and say that pesticide can be a problem for any plant and even meat

Which is a shop, so, that right there is a clear and massive conflict of interest...

not to sound stupid but can you please clarify this a little more for me

Right, but the actual thesis of the first two is not "soy is bad". At all. The third concerns itself (with some odd tangents) in large part with some possible issues of industrial-scale processing.
[/quote]

The problem i have with soy is the fact that i can't be a food with all benefits and no problems like apples and fish. Im really trying to show the problems with it, im not trying to say that there are no health benefits in soy what so ever.

02-02-2014, 05:06 PM
There are good reasons to avoid soybeans because of their phytoestrogenic properties. But I see no good reason to avoid proper beans.
[/quote]

I should do more research on beans as well. I heard that eating kidney bean uncooked can make you sick. It doesn't really prove that beans are bad i just had to tell ya thatBig Grin

02-02-2014, 07:58 PM
(02-02-2014 02:08 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  "I don't support Paleo because it seems a bit like a pseudo science religion, especially with the idea that some food is 'clean' and presumably other stuff 'dirty' - seems a bit elitest too plus too much meat isn't good for environment, for one thing ... or for bones - especially if you're female." Well too much of anything isn't really that good. Also i equal it like this 40% meat 40% fruits and vegetables. Keeps me in balance.

"*If* paleo ppl were fit during their short lifespan, does that prove *anything*? They could've been fitter on a more mixed diet - how can we tell?" And they couldve died from heart attacks if they were able to life longer, or with weakened bones.
Well to be fair with you if you put a slice of pizza in front of a caveman he would eat it. Humans would have eaten anything they could get their hands on. I really eat this way because of the dangers of soy and grains more then to be like a caveman.

Also, I think it's mentally, physically and socially healthier to focus on eating what you're hungry for and not too much ... but that being 'chunky' or 'skinny' is not an indication of either health or beauty - you can be fit n fat n sexy - or not. Depends on exercise, genes, attitude, style and how you eat.

I can't argue anything on this either. I was once fat and ugly, now im just uglyBig Grin but fit fat and sexy is possible, many nfl players are fat and in shape. Also beauty is in the eyes of the beholder so some female may think his fat is sexy.

Moodie x
[/quote]

Your diet - whether you call it paleo or not - sounds healthy and we're all a bit different ... phytoestrogens are recommended for women in midlife but maybe not so good for a man?

... plus you definitely dont sound ugly to me Tongue

Moodie x
[+] 1 user Likes Moodie's post
02-02-2014, 08:04 PM
(02-02-2014 07:58 PM)Moodie Wrote:  
(02-02-2014 02:08 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  "I don't support Paleo because it seems a bit like a pseudo science religion, especially with the idea that some food is 'clean' and presumably other stuff 'dirty' - seems a bit elitest too plus too much meat isn't good for environment, for one thing ... or for bones - especially if you're female." Well too much of anything isn't really that good. Also i equal it like this 40% meat 40% fruits and vegetables. Keeps me in balance.

"*If* paleo ppl were fit during their short lifespan, does that prove *anything*? They could've been fitter on a more mixed diet - how can we tell?" And they couldve died from heart attacks if they were able to life longer, or with weakened bones.
Well to be fair with you if you put a slice of pizza in front of a caveman he would eat it. Humans would have eaten anything they could get their hands on. I really eat this way because of the dangers of soy and grains more then to be like a caveman.

Also, I think it's mentally, physically and socially healthier to focus on eating what you're hungry for and not too much ... but that being 'chunky' or 'skinny' is not an indication of either health or beauty - you can be fit n fat n sexy - or not. Depends on exercise, genes, attitude, style and how you eat.

I can't argue anything on this either. I was once fat and ugly, now im just uglyBig Grin but fit fat and sexy is possible, many nfl players are fat and in shape. Also beauty is in the eyes of the beholder so some female may think his fat is sexy.

Moodie x

Your diet - whether you call it paleo or not - sounds healthy and we're all a bit different ... phytoestrogens are recommended for women in midlife but maybe not so good for a man?

... plus you definitely dont sound ugly to me Tongue

Moodie x
[/quote]

I my self am really just trying to introduce the diet. I know that in reality if i really wanted to be like my ancestors id eat anything so that i can survive. I forgot that soy had anything to due with testosterone this is because ive seen riped vegans before.