Young Adult Sterilization [Miniature Rant]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-05-2017, 12:04 AM
RE: Young Adult Sterilization [Miniature Rant]
I never wanted kids. I had a vasectomy when I was in my mid-20's and never regretted it. Thumbsup
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Gwaithmir's post
19-05-2017, 12:32 AM (This post was last modified: 19-05-2017 12:36 AM by Robvalue.)
I agree. It's not for doctors to tell people they know better. I'm not against a few sessions with a professional to make sure it's not a rash decision, but let's leave it at that. It's fucking patronizing to drag it out further.

You know what else is a permanent decision? Having a child. Well, pretty permanent in most circumstances. You're stuck with that thing being out there for the rest of your life. No one makes you jump through endless hoops before you can do that.

I was actually surprised when I got my vasectomy how easy it was. Granted I was in my thirties, so maybe they'd have pissed me around more had I been younger. The guy said, "You realize this is permanent and attempts to reverse it aren't always successful?" I said, "Yup". That was pretty much it.

I wish I'd had it earlier, not that I have any kids anyhow. I've known as long as I've been able to think about it that I never want kids. It's not just that I hate the idea, it's that there are a lot of very real moral considerations which aren't going to go away even if I started feeling paternal. I'd simply adopt.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Robvalue's post
19-05-2017, 12:45 AM
(19-05-2017 12:04 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  I never wanted kids. I had a vasectomy when I was in my mid-20's and never regretted it. Thumbsup

Thumbsup That's great.
[+] 1 user Likes Larai19's post
19-05-2017, 12:46 AM
(19-05-2017 12:32 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  I agree. It's not for doctors to tell people they know better. I'm not against a few sessions with a professional to make sure it's not a rash decision, but let's leave it at that. It's fucking patronizing to drag it out further.

You know what else is a permanent decision? Having a child. Well, pretty permanent in most circumstances. You're stuck with that thing being out there for the rest of your life. No one makes you jump through endless hoops before you can do that.

I was actually surprised when I got my vasectomy how easy it was. Granted I was in my thirties, so maybe they'd have pissed me around more had I been younger. The guy said, "You realize this is permanent and attempts to reverse it aren't always successful?" I said, "Yup". That was pretty much it.

I wish I'd had it earlier, not that I have any kids anyhow. I've known as long as I've been able to think about it that I never want kids. It's not just that I hate the idea, it's that there are a lot of very real moral considerations which aren't going to go away even if I started feeling paternal. I'd simply adopt.

I never thought about that - the few sessions for evaluation. That's so smart. Surely, that would make biases stop. Hopefully at least. I feel like there has to be a petition to sign somewhere...
[+] 1 user Likes Larai19's post
19-05-2017, 12:54 AM (This post was last modified: 19-05-2017 12:58 AM by Robvalue.)
Thanks Smile I hope so, I'll sign it if there is!

PS: I think some people (including the doctors) are still stuck in the mindset that having kids is some sort of inevitable life stage.

Funnily enough, no one who knows me well has ever questioned my decision not to have kids since I announced it at an early age.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
19-05-2017, 03:06 AM
I agree it should be an option for those that really do want it, and in fairness, there are other options [such as adoption] should you choose to have children anyway.

I will say that at 21, I was very much in the mind of "I don't want children", and yet 1 year later we had a baby girl. She wasn't 'planned', but it's genuinely been the best thing that happened to me. I can only really say that my mind set at 21/22, and my mind set now, is completely different, all because I had a kid at that age. It taught me a lot of things, and if anything got me to 'buck up' my ideas and get a proper job. 7 years later and I'm doing much better than I was then, and who knows where I would have been if I'd have coasted on like I was doing at the time. My daughter is batshit crazy, and drives me crazy for the most part, but I wouldn't change it. Could I tell myself that at 21? Probably not, but that's just my example.

It should definitely be on the table for those considering it, but should be a "last resort" if its ever done.

"I don't do magic, Morty, I do science. One takes brains, the other takes dark eye liner" - Rick
I now sell T-Shirts Here! Please Check it out Thumbsup
[+] 2 users Like OakTree500's post
19-05-2017, 03:16 AM
Sure, well no one can ever predict exactly how anything can go. We can only make the best decisions with what we know at the time. I think trying to compare alternative lives after a decision is kind of pointless. You'd be a different person, literally, had you made a different decision.

[+] 3 users Like Robvalue's post
19-05-2017, 03:52 AM
(18-05-2017 09:22 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  I have a theory that people who do not want children have had family members who have had them and were discontented or are those children who have ambivalent parents themselves.

My parents were very family-oriented and happy with us kids. One of my older sisters had two sons, the other was very unhappy because she couldn't have kids even though she wanted them. I never wanted children, so it wasn't because of the influences you mentioned. The world was already over-populated by the time I was a young adult, so I saw no reason for children. Not having kids was one of the better decisions of my life, since I couldn't have retired early otherwise.

My wife, on the other hand, never wanted children for other reasons. She had indifferent parents. Plus she was bullied all through her school years, so she didn't like children.
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post
19-05-2017, 04:27 AM
(19-05-2017 03:06 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  I agree it should be an option for those that really do want it, and in fairness, there are other options [such as adoption] should you choose to have children anyway.

I will say that at 21, I was very much in the mind of "I don't want children", and yet 1 year later we had a baby girl. She wasn't 'planned', but it's genuinely been the best thing that happened to me. I can only really say that my mind set at 21/22, and my mind set now, is completely different, all because I had a kid at that age. It taught me a lot of things, and if anything got me to 'buck up' my ideas and get a proper job. 7 years later and I'm doing much better than I was then, and who knows where I would have been if I'd have coasted on like I was doing at the time. My daughter is batshit crazy, and drives me crazy for the most part, but I wouldn't change it. Could I tell myself that at 21? Probably not, but that's just my example.

It should definitely be on the table for those considering it, but should be a "last resort" if its ever done.

It should be last resort cause of your experience?

I see no reason for sterilization being taboo, last resort, etc. People should be free to make such choice without convincing others that they really, really want to do it.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
19-05-2017, 04:36 AM
(19-05-2017 04:27 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(19-05-2017 03:06 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  I agree it should be an option for those that really do want it, and in fairness, there are other options [such as adoption] should you choose to have children anyway.

It should be last resort cause of your experience?

I see no reason for sterilization being taboo, last resort, etc. People should be free to make such choice without convincing others that they really, really want to do it.
Not at all, but in my personal opinion, why do something that permanent to your body when there are other options on the table first. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for being an option, and no matter of my opinion would I be bothered about the outcome either way, but again I just think it's something that could be avoided if necessary. If anything, it's just a personal thing on my part. Right now, I don't want any more children but wouldn't have a vasectomy, as I like my "parts" the way they are, nothing to do with kids at all.

My example was given as a "I'm one of those people who said 'Never' to kids" and it worked out much differently than my, then, perception of what having kids would be like. I'm well aware some people really don't do kids in any fashion and others, when they do have them, don't take to it at all. But again it was my personal example.

"I don't do magic, Morty, I do science. One takes brains, the other takes dark eye liner" - Rick
I now sell T-Shirts Here! Please Check it out Thumbsup