Young Adult Sterilization [Miniature Rant]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-05-2017, 12:52 PM
RE: Young Adult Sterilization [Miniature Rant]
(19-05-2017 12:45 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  Do you think there is a correlation between atheism and the want not to reproduce?

I arrived at my position on over-population almost thirty years before I arrived at my atheism, so I can't be taken as evidence of any correlation.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
19-05-2017, 12:55 PM
(19-05-2017 12:52 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(19-05-2017 12:45 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  Do you think there is a correlation between atheism and the want not to reproduce?

I arrived at my position on over-population almost thirty years before I arrived at my atheism, so I can't be taken as evidence of any correlation.

I suppose that's true on my part as well. Considering I was 9. Laugh out load
[+] 1 user Likes Larai19's post
19-05-2017, 01:05 PM
(19-05-2017 12:45 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  I honestly didn't expect this thread to be so pro-sterilization... XD Or at the very least I thought there would be some controversy.

Do you think there is a correlation between atheism and the want not to reproduce?

I'm not pro sterilization, it's just that I think children shouldn't suffer for parents mistakes - groving in poverty isn't fun and wanting to have kids does not mean that one should have them.

As for atheism - both are against social expectations but I doubt that there is correlation.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
19-05-2017, 01:11 PM
(19-05-2017 01:05 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(19-05-2017 12:45 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  I honestly didn't expect this thread to be so pro-sterilization... XD Or at the very least I thought there would be some controversy.

Do you think there is a correlation between atheism and the want not to reproduce?

I'm not pro sterilization, it's just that I think children shouldn't suffer for parents mistakes - groving in poverty isn't fun and wanting to have kids does not mean that one should have them.

As for atheism - both are against social expectations but I doubt that there is correlation.

That is extremely true. Children do suffer for the ambivalence of parents. I know from first hand experience. I realized recently that the bond between parent and child is near fundamental to positive mental health. Admittedly, that took awhile for me to comprehend. Laugh out load

Either way, as so many of the people here have said there are plenty of "unwanted" children to love and take care of. Smile

I suppose it was a broad idea to correlate. Smile Perhaps there is maybe a correlation between non-conformity, without me sounding like to much of a hipster. XD
I also have no doubt that it is related to hormones. Perhaps that's all there is to it. However I feel like I'd be lying to myself if I didn't acknowledge the fact that most that I know who do not want to have children have some sort of "non-conformity" attitude.
19-05-2017, 01:19 PM

To some degree. The Conformists of the world want to fit in, so they tend to accept the prevailing religion, social structure, current fashions, trends, etc, etc, and worry what other people think of them (while the other people aren't actually thinking of them at all, being wrapped up in their own thoughts, culture, religion, etc.) When people are able to break free of groupthink in one area, it gets easier to do it in others. Freedom from the constraints of religion opens up freedom to question other social mandates, like having kids when you don't really want to have kids. So it's not so much the lack of desire for kids that goes with atheism, as the willingness of people who don't want kids to buck the religious and social norms.
[+] 4 users Like Rockblossom's post
19-05-2017, 01:21 PM
(19-05-2017 01:11 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  
(19-05-2017 01:05 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  I'm not pro sterilization, it's just that I think children shouldn't suffer for parents mistakes - groving in poverty isn't fun and wanting to have kids does not mean that one should have them.

That is extremely true. Children do suffer for the ambivalence of parents. I know from first hand experience. I realized recently that the bond between parent and child is near fundamental to positive mental health. Admittedly, that took awhile for me to comprehend. Laugh out load

Either way, as so many of the people here have said there are plenty of "unwanted" children to love and take care of. Smile

I suppose it was a broad idea to correlate. Smile Perhaps there is maybe a correlation between non-conformity, without me sounding like to much of a hipster. XD
I also have no doubt that it is related to hormones. Perhaps that's all there is to it. However I feel like I'd be lying to myself if I didn't acknowledge the fact that most that I know who do not want to have children have some sort of "non-conformity" attitude.

I meant more down to earth privation - lack of food, clothes, or adequate housing. No ammount of parental love will replace such nor such alleged love gives one right to force poverty onto child.

Having child is not a right but duty. Want somethin to cuddle then buy teddy bear.

I don't know why some people don't want kids but I have no problem with it as I too don't want to be a parent. Maybe it is correlated with atheism, maybe not automatically wanting progeny I see as good thing.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
19-05-2017, 01:28 PM
(19-05-2017 01:21 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(19-05-2017 01:11 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  That is extremely true. Children do suffer for the ambivalence of parents. I know from first hand experience. I realized recently that the bond between parent and child is near fundamental to positive mental health. Admittedly, that took awhile for me to comprehend. Laugh out load

I meant more down to earth privation - lack of food, clothes, or adequate housing. No ammount of parental love will replace such nor such alleged love gives one right to force poverty onto child.

Having child is not a right but duty. Want somethin to cuddle then buy teddy bear.

I don't know why some people don't want kids but I have no problem with it as I too don't want to be a parent. Maybe it is correlated with atheism, maybe not automatically wanting progeny I see as good thing.

I remember hearing someone say "If you want unconditional love do not have a child, get a dog." Laugh out load

However, in response to what I said...I do appreciate parents who sacrifice for their children, who give them what they need to survive, give them their love. Smile I have the utmost respect for them.
[+] 1 user Likes Larai19's post
19-05-2017, 01:29 PM

No, but I think there is a correlation with not being bamboozled into religion or procreation, or many other things too.

The want to reproduce is present the same way in all mammals. There is the instinct, and there are the hormones. Since we are ever evolving, we are all endowed with differing amounts of instinct and hormones etc. etc. It's a physical thing, whether you want kids or not.

Whether you give in to societal pressure seems to be correlated with atheism, maybe.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
19-05-2017, 01:34 PM
(19-05-2017 01:28 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  
(19-05-2017 01:21 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  I meant more down to earth privation - lack of food, clothes, or adequate housing. No ammount of parental love will replace such nor such alleged love gives one right to force poverty onto child.

I remember hearing someone say "If you want unconditional love do not have a child, get a dog." Laugh out load

However, in response to what I said...I do appreciate parents who sacrifice for their children, who give them what they need to survive, give them their love. Smile I have the utmost respect for them.

Maybe it's wording issue but I don't have much respect for parents who give kids what they need to survive as bare survival isn't something that new life should be subjected to. Love won't feed the kids and it's far from enough when it comes to raising them.

Mikhail Bakunin.
23-05-2017, 11:44 PM
Couldn't care less if someone wants to sterilize themselves. What matters is what a person says and does, how they act. In short who they are. If you treat people poorly then I don't like you. Even still you wanna go sterilize yourself it's no one's business but yours (your husband might want to know first, it wouldn't be right to deny him without at least informing him of your decision, if he stays great, if he leaves you, that's ok too).

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin