Young Adult Sterilization [Miniature Rant]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-05-2017, 11:58 PM
RE: Young Adult Sterilization [Miniature Rant]
(19-05-2017 12:45 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  I honestly didn't expect this thread to be so pro-sterilization... XD Or at the very least I thought there would be some controversy.

Do you think there is a correlation between atheism and the want not to reproduce?

> I don't think so. Every atheist couple that I know or have known have had children.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-05-2017, 12:02 AM
(23-05-2017 11:58 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  
(19-05-2017 12:45 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  I honestly didn't expect this thread to be so pro-sterilization... XD Or at the very least I thought there would be some controversy.

Do you think there is a correlation between atheism and the want not to reproduce?

> I don't think so. Every atheist couple that I know or have known have had children.

This might sound mean, but maybe this thread is pro sterilization only for her.

Kidding of course.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
24-05-2017, 05:58 AM
I support adults being able to make their reproductive decisions, up to and including surgical sterilization, even as young adults. However, I also think it's wise for anyone considering this to talk to a professional beforehand about it. Like any big decision, it's a good idea to collect information and think through the issues.

One reason that doctors are reluctant to sterilize younger adults who haven't had children is because these same doctors also have extensive experience of many patients on the other side--that is, those who have had surgical sterilizations that they now want to be reversed. The success rate of reversals varies (it depends partly, for example, on the way the initial sterilization was done).

Up until a little after I turned 30, I had never wanted children. I didn't play house or mother dolls as a child, never ever dreamed of an adult life that involved children. I have a deep dislike of surgical procedures and doctors' visits, but if there'd been an easy, nonsurgical way without side effects to make myself permanently sterile, I would have chosen it, and I think I'd be satisfied with the life that resulted. I have many friends who are childless by choice, and they have rich and satisfying lives.

I am happy that I had a child and don't feel derailed too much by the experience, even though it was often difficult and draining. I'm also glad at this point that I only had one (after trying for two), because I'm ready, after nearly 20 years, for a bit of a change.
[+] 3 users Like julep's post
24-05-2017, 06:37 AM
I know my own thinking about being a parent changed immensely between 20 and 30. Glad I didn't get the snip, myself.

Also, I can't help but laugh at a rant wherein is found the phrase "I hate to sound whiny". All rants sound whiny, to me.
24-05-2017, 07:33 AM
I think you've got to live the life you want and on your own terms. I do agree with the other posters though, who said you may want to wait until you are in your 30's to make sure you still feel the same way. Your views on things (even things you never think you are going to change your mind on) change so drastically when you're 20 and when you're 30, I know mine did.

All that said, you have to do what's right for you. You know yourself better than anyone else.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
24-05-2017, 07:36 AM
(24-05-2017 05:58 AM)julep Wrote:  I support adults being able to make their reproductive decisions, up to and including surgical sterilization, even as young adults. However, I also think it's wise for anyone considering this to talk to a professional beforehand about it. Like any big decision, it's a good idea to collect information and think through the issues.

One reason that doctors are reluctant to sterilize younger adults who haven't had children is because these same doctors also have extensive experience of many patients on the other side--that is, those who have had surgical sterilizations that they now want to be reversed. The success rate of reversals varies (it depends partly, for example, on the way the initial sterilization was done).

Up until a little after I turned 30, I had never wanted children. I didn't play house or mother dolls as a child, never ever dreamed of an adult life that involved children. I have a deep dislike of surgical procedures and doctors' visits, but if there'd been an easy, nonsurgical way without side effects to make myself permanently sterile, I would have chosen it, and I think I'd be satisfied with the life that resulted. I have many friends who are childless by choice, and they have rich and satisfying lives.

I am happy that I had a child and don't feel derailed too much by the experience, even though it was often difficult and draining. I'm also glad at this point that I only had one (after trying for two), because I'm ready, after nearly 20 years, for a bit of a change.

I wish that were an option that doctors would consider. From what I've read from testaments to this stuff it takes a near break down, on the potential patients side, talking about how disappointed they are after being turned away x times and how they aren't going to stop looking, for doctors to consider doing it.

I think having a psychological evaluation for this is completely fair. I also think that it would cause less of an issue at the end of it all...
24-05-2017, 07:37 AM
(24-05-2017 06:37 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I know my own thinking about being a parent changed immensely between 20 and 30. Glad I didn't get the snip, myself.

Also, I can't help but laugh at a rant wherein is found the phrase "I hate to sound whiny". All rants sound whiny, to me.

That's fair enough. XD
I honestly try not to resource to complaining publicly unless an issue sincerely bothers me.
24-05-2017, 07:42 AM
(24-05-2017 07:33 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I think you've got to live the life you want and on your own terms. I do agree with the other posters though, who said you may want to wait until you are in your 30's to make sure you still feel the same way. Your views on things (even things you never think you are going to change your mind on) change so drastically when you're 20 and when you're 30, I know mine did.

All that said, you have to do what's right for you. You know yourself better than anyone else.

I'm not really going to do the procedure. Not because I don't want to but because I feel like I cannot.
My problem is that doctors are not letting this be a choice. Whether they are not permitting people to do this because of inherent biases or because they've seen too many people regret their decision later on, I feel, should make no difference to the objective standard they should have to their patients given their profession.

That being said I'm all for the procedure to be treated differently than most other unnecessary ones by allowing the patient to go to counseling so that the therapist can give a report as to their mental well-being and the clarity of their decision making.

I just feel like it's an injustice to not allow adults the choice to do what they wish with their reproductive rights on this kind of scale.
[+] 1 user Likes Larai19's post
24-05-2017, 07:45 AM
(24-05-2017 06:37 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  All rants sound whiny, to me.

Naw, some rants are just angry.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
24-05-2017, 07:56 AM
I'm with Dom on that one. I dare one to find an example of me being whiny (in public Rolleyes ). Now, fucking furious and foaming slightly at the mouth... that's a whole other story...

[Image: mad_2011.gif][Image: rant.gif]

(And that's just written-words-on-a-nearly-anonymous-forum angry. You should see me in real life ;-))

[Image: meditationf.gif]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post