Young Atheists/Life long atheists please chime in.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
26-05-2012, 10:42 AM
Young Atheists/Life long atheists please chime in.
In light of the show a few weeks ago (atheist teenagers) can some one please reassure me that people have been atheist all their lives won't some day run into some apologist and get saved. After being in church all my life I see "testimonies" of people that either claim to have been atheist, agnostic, or went to church all their life but were never saved and now they saw the light. Personally after having been a xian I know firsthand that religion has nothing to offer. But someone who has never tried it may be inquisitive. I just want to know that young atheist see it for the ancient superstition that it is and won't someday be a Lee strobel type christian.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes roadrunner's post
26-05-2012, 11:39 AM
RE: Young Atheists/Life long atheists please chime in.
Dunno if turning atheist at the age of 10 qualifies for lifelong.

But I am approaching 60 with rocket speed, so I have been atheist for 50 years and there is nothing going to change that.

The older I get, the more outlandish religions look to me.

I have done my share of human suffering and it most certainly didn't make me any more susceptible to family and friends who try to "save" me. Quite the opposite. These attempts are more and more annoying. I keep waiting for people to grow up and open their eyes but it will never happen with them.

I am grateful for today's young generation, a lot more of them have their eyes wide open and are atheist starting in their teens.

Perhaps people who have never heard of god may be easier to convert, but certainly today most everyone has heard about it.

Those stories you hear - I can give you several stories about dogs picking and eating tomatoes, strawberries and chamomile buds - all true - but not at all representative of the foods dogs enjoy eating.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
26-05-2012, 12:15 PM (This post was last modified: 26-05-2012 03:16 PM by kim.)
Angel You call me, child?

Born without, live without... no promises. Where the self is concerned... life will take you wherever you point your nose.

I have never believed, rather... have always understood that I do not know. I have been able to securely explore many religions, faiths, beliefs, experiences from an objective point of view; without becoming too caught up in any enough to declare an adherence to a faith.

I would suppose, it's like experimenting with drugs where one finds their limit and as such; some might become addicts while others are able to control themselves. Some may be able to hold their liquor, while others not.

Education and development of one's self, with reason and logic are simply common sense and will bring about confidence and security while allowing one's natural curiosity to explore life and flourish.

If one starts with, I do not know and ends up with, I still do not know, then one will keep learning and experiencing life until it's end. Life is a gas; knock yourself out.

If one starts with, I do not know and ends up with, ah, now I know... then one will have something other than the self to direct action, word, and deed... as well as take responsibility for all experience in life until the end, after which punishment and/or reward dependent on life experience, take place. (per Christianity -others may differ)

Incidentally, I think the life of the Theist is much the same as the non-Theist.
Although, it doesn't seem to me the Theist would have a complete, human life experience if God had everything planned.
That's just an opinion based on the perspective of one of the damned. Wink

The only thing one can know is one's own self.

The non-Theist knows they are responsible for their life.

The Theist knows they are not responsible for their life.

In my opinion, the knowledge of the self is the biggest difference between Theist and non-Theist.

Now, go forth and be damned ... or something. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 6 users Like kim's post
26-05-2012, 12:35 PM
I know what you mean. It's really annoying.

"I used to be a staunch atheist for 6 years and now I'm a Christian Wink"
"I was agnostic for 2 years but I realised that Christianity is the truth!"
"After seeing the holes in the atheistic mind set I returned to Judaism"

It's so bloody annoying. They say it like it adds weight to their argument. I don't go around parading that I left Christianity to people so what's the point in doing it?

I reckon you'll always have people like that. They'll claim to have been the most sceptic person in the world and suddenly they'll 'see the light' and start defending Christianity... if you see God in the clouds and attribute it to a divine message and accept it... you aren't a curious mind, you're gullible.

I'm 16 but I don't see myself believing in God again especially not a theistic God. I don't want to appear close minded to it but it seems like an amazing leap of logic to say, he created the world and now he cares for us and wants us to save sex until marriage. It's too far fetched to me. Lee Strobel is annoying 'I'll put myself in the shoes of a sceptic... but only interview Christians for my book. Yup, God exists.' Too many people use God as a safety blanket and think faith is a good thing. It's a reason why you see many older people join the faith.

I'd like to see more people use their brains to think for themselves. I guess knee jerk atheism is just as unhelpful as knee jerk conversions. Either way they haven't really thought about what they're doing when it happens.

Uncertainty is a good thing, it gives me an excuse to keep on learning about it.

Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!
Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way.

Enlightenment is liberating.
[+] 2 users Like ALovelyChickenMan's post
26-05-2012, 02:35 PM
The truly annoying thing about this is that these same people will look you dead in the eyes and say "Well if you are an Atheist then you never a "real" Christian in the first place"

As a former minister this drives me insane. It implies that I'm some kind of liar for 20 years of my life. Tell me I'm not the only one that gets that line all the time.
[+] 4 users Like Godless's post
26-05-2012, 03:21 PM
I've been an atheist my entire life. Perhaps if I was in a serious accident and experienced brain damage......

I think a lot of "atheists" who go back to being religious, were "atheists" for the wrong reasons to begin with. They were "mad at God," or became an atheist as an emotional crutch for some reason.

I'm an atheist and have been because it is how my brain works. It isn't just religion, but everything in life around me that I tend to subject to brutal skepticism and demand for logical explanation. I tend to change my views a lot when presented with evidence to refute them, which interestingly enough offends some of my friends. They don't like it when I suddenly take a different stance on a subject that I previously agreed with them on.

In short, Hell itself, would have to exist, and then freeze over before I would have a come to Jebus moment.
[+] 2 users Like Superluminal's post
26-05-2012, 05:13 PM
I'm Thirteen, Fourteen in about a month. I was Catholic for my entire life before the age of 11-12. When I was Catholic, I didn't care about Science or History, I found them boring. This is, and the fact that I was so young and clueless, are probably the reason that I kept believing, regardless of how very little spirituality I had ever felt. In about the 5th grade, I underwent this huge phase where I spent several hours a day watching historical and scientific documentaries and dreamed of becoming either an Archaeologist or a Geologist. After a while of watching documentaries on how people suspected the Earth was formed, and then how life formed thereafter, and a bit about Australopithecus and the other early humans, religion began to seem less and less credible. As I grew older, reason and critical thinking also began to take effect. I was able to see the holes in Christian ways of thinking, and once I did, I could truly call myself an "Atheist". Every Creationist argument I have been given so far is either easily debunked by myself, or the internet. Religion seems so ridiculous these days, and even if science were to be proven wrong in certain areas, the atrocities of the Christian God, and the holes in their ways of thinking, would keep me away from Christianity.
26-05-2012, 09:17 PM
I always laugh when I hear about people who were converts to theist from atheist, as if that's special. We're all born without a belief in God... we all start as atheists, and all theists are "converts" in that sense.

No, I certainly won't assure you that atheists can't or won't become theists. Not all of us arrived at our conclusion by following logic and reason. Some of us came to atheism the same way that many theists come to their belief -- upbringing, emotional vulnerability, or cultural pressure. And those people are just as susceptible to belief as nonbelief.

I will assure you, however, that rational thinkers don't become theists. There are rational theists, but the way I see it, they gain rationality after they already have a belief and they refuse to leave the belief behind. Anyone who disagrees with me may challenge me on this as it is just an assertion, but in the way I understand rational thinking, the nature of rationality will not drive someone to believe in supernatural causation or to draw superstitious conclusions.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-05-2012, 12:35 AM (This post was last modified: 27-05-2012 12:53 AM by Lilith Pride.)
I think most of the people who fall into the trap later are the ones who only experience lukewarm theism. Where at first it seems silly and eventually it sounds intruiging. Smiling faces can make a lot of headway as can donations. I've known plenty of peopl who became religious because the church helped them with food or clothing. If you were born in a heavily religious home or live in an area where the religions are fiery then you are most likely not going to change your mind. I find that most people who decide later on life that a faith is the correct answer to life never asked about it before. Any kid who rejected their parents fervent attempts at forcing religion on them though, is highly unlikely to idolize the random person who comes around spouting answer. Unless they have a crush =p

I say that the largest contributor to late life conversion (or deconversion) is relationships. Plenty of people pay a lot more attention to things when it has to do with a prospectiv partner than any other time in life. I just wish people could wrap their heads around the fact that the meaning of life is rhetorical.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 1 user Likes Lilith Pride's post
27-05-2012, 12:41 AM
I would never be a Christian. However it would be easy to make me believe in god. All it's got to do is show up, like anytime now.... Hmmm....

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user