Young Atheists/Life long atheists please chime in.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
27-05-2012, 09:01 PM
RE: Young Atheists/Life long atheists please chime in.
(27-05-2012 08:56 PM)lightninlives Wrote:  Grew up heavily indoctrinated into fundamentalist Christianity and while I still have to fight off some of the superstitious tendencies my brain was trained for at a young I couldn't imagine returning to theism.
The main thing I struggle with is the want to put the blame on a deity. Sometimes I just want to blame God for everything wrong with my life, but I have much better sense than that.

I guess that is something that I will have to outgrow.

Tongue

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-05-2012, 10:06 PM (This post was last modified: 27-05-2012 10:27 PM by GirlyMan.)

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
29-05-2012, 07:07 AM
thanks for the great words of encouragement. As I deconverted I felt that the one "gift" we could give future society is "free thought" encourage it, promote it and stand for it. Thats why I refused to stay in the closet about it. but its utterly counterproductive if people who never experience religion gravitate towards it in a quest for answers.

I listened to a episode of atheist experience and a guy called in ranting about c.s. lewis without having a clue about any specifics. people just say, if an atheist can change his mind then obviously there is evidence to support my belief. These make great testimonies and serve as a crutch for others. How can you use CS lewis testimony as your argument.
30-06-2012, 09:27 PM (This post was last modified: 30-06-2012 09:35 PM by RealityIsAnOpinion.)
I'm 38 now and have been an atheist since I was 8 or 9. I was brought to church every Sunday by my mother until I was 13, and was given a choice as to whether I would continue to attend. My answer was obviously no.

The strange thing is that my assumption was that no one attending really believed any of it. I really thought that it was probably tradition that brought people to the pews rather than any actual faith. Obviously I was "just not getting it" right from the beginning. As a matter of fact
any time I encountered someone who professed faith and told me tales of continued church-attendance and participation in regular religious gatherings throughout the week that included prayer-circles and the like, my reaction was always an incredulous "REALLY?" with what I'm sure was a very confused look on my face.

This continued to be my reaction well into my 20's and it really wasn't until after the Internet was commonly in every household that I realized how many people actually took this stuff seriously.

I now consider myself very lucky to be brought up in the liberal area I was, and to be given the choice at that age to stop attending church.

So to answer the question of the OP, no. There is no chance that I will ever join any religion.

Everyone has the right to an opinion and to defend that opinion without ridicule.
[+] 1 user Likes RealityIsAnOpinion's post
30-06-2012, 11:04 PM
Anyone claiming to be a former atheist who is now a part of a religious institution, is lying.

I can't imagine the reality in which that could be true.
An atheist, in my mind, comprehends reality and has a firm grasp of WHY they don't buy into bullshit religious dogma.

It's like a guy living in Brooklyn his entire life and hearing stories about con artists who scammed some tourist into buying the Brooklyn Bridge for $100 and then one day, as he is walking near the bridge, a guy convinces him to buy the bridge for $50 bucks.

^ This would NEVER happen, just like an atheist would never buy into religion.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
01-07-2012, 01:34 AM
Shhh.... "Former atheists" are our undercover infiltration unit. They're doing sterling work destroying the beast from the inside. Smile

*mission impossible theme*

"While religions tell us next to nothing useful or true about the universe, they do tell us an enormous amount - perhaps an embarrassing amount - about ourselves, about what we value, fear and lust after." Iain M Banks
[+] 1 user Likes daylightisabadthing's post
01-07-2012, 04:16 AM
With that logic how do you not know former theists are not theist secret agents undercover with the intention of foiling our world domination plans?

[Image: suspicious_smiley.gif]

Trust nobody...!

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
01-07-2012, 10:17 AM
(30-06-2012 11:04 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Anyone claiming to be a former atheist who is now a part of a religious institution, is lying.

An atheist, in my mind, comprehends reality and has a firm grasp of WHY they don't buy into bullshit religious dogma.

It's like a guy living in Brooklyn his entire life and hearing stories about con artists who scammed some tourist into buying the Brooklyn Bridge for $100 and then one day, as he is walking near the bridge, a guy convinces him to buy the bridge for $50 bucks.

Of course he'd buy it - it's half-price!

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
01-07-2012, 01:41 PM
It would be hard to pass up a deal like that Smile

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
02-07-2012, 02:34 AM
(30-06-2012 11:04 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Anyone claiming to be a former atheist who is now a part of a religious institution, is lying.

I've seen a guy claiming that he once was just like us atheists, then proceeded to ask how we came from an explosion and how feelings were created in that explosion... did he really think anyone would buy it?